VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Beautiful looking theatre! What was the picture quality like? Was it film or digital? 

Film. Picture quality was lovely, sound could have been a bit better but still decent enough. Soundtrack was incredible to hear in a theatre built for that sort of thing. They played some Pathé news reel footage before it started!

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Serial Mom

Gloriously daft and hilarious satire of suburbia. I really need to watch more John Waters. One of the best things I've watched this year.

I rewatched this not so long ago, as it was somehow a film me and my sisters watched a LOT when we were younger and I'm so pleased it's held up.

Yafuckingwhore.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Ah man, that looks glorious. That's a real cinema experience.

I was supposed to see The Red Shoes there last year but couldn't go, can't imagine how amazing that would have been to see in there.

Immaculate 
A good psychological horror film with a strong lead performance from Sydney Sweeney, an interesting plot, a good setting and some good visuals. It's never as scary or as tense as you want it to be or as it needs to be and most of it feels very familiar, but it ends up being a solid 80-minute horror film. 

The Voyeurs
A good erotic thriller about a young couple who spy on and become obsessed by the lives of their neighbours across the street. Obvious hints of Rear Window, with a few interesting twists.

Late Night with the Devil
A really good supernatural horror film that's a lot of fun with a good nostalgic 70s chat show feel.

Censor
A good psychological horror film about a video censor haunted by the death of her sister and her decent into madness. It has a strong lead performance from Niamh Algar, a good visual style and starts off well enough, but it loses its way as it progresses and by the end of the film you wish that they had done more with the premise. Short at only 78-minutes, interesting enough and moves at a steady pace, but it lacks the atmosphere or tension to make it anything memorable. 

No Exit
An enjoyable mystery-thriller about a young woman who whilst stranded by a blizzard and forced to find shelter at a highway rest area with a group of strangers, finds an abducted girl in a van in the parking lot. 

LOLA
Really short at only 75-minutes but a decent sci-fi war movie, with an interesting plot about two sisters in the 1940s who build a machine that shows them the future. 

Baghead
A watchable but pretty generic and quite basic horror film, with an interesting premise that not enough is really done with.

Strays
A lackluster comedy full of unfunny crude humour, about an abandoned dog who teams up with other strays to get revenge on his former owner.

35 minutes ago, DJM said:

Immaculate 
A good psychological horror film with a strong lead performance from Sydney Sweeney, an interesting plot, a good setting and some good visuals. It's never as scary or as tense as you want it to be or as it needs to be and most of it feels very familiar, but it ends up being a solid 80-minute horror film. 

The Voyeurs
A good erotic thriller about a young couple who spy on and become obsessed by the lives of their neighbours across the street. Obvious hints of Rear Window, with a few interesting twists.

Yeah, I see what’s going on here.

Hit a ton for the year, so time for an update you lucky, lucky people.

Spoiler

81.) Titanic (6)
82.) Cocktail (8)
83.) Sweetheart* (9)
84.) Lost In Translation (9)
85.) Uncle Buck (8)
86.) The Iron Claw* (10)
87.) Sisters* (4)
88.) The X-Files: Fight The Future (7)
89.) Perfect Days* (10)
90.) Do The Right Thing (11)
91.) Anyone But You* (8)
92.) Notes On A Scandal* (8)
93.) Hope and Glory* (8)
94.) Saving Private Ryan (10)
95.) Weird: The Al Yankovic Story* (7)
96.) Hit Man* (9)
97.) Under Paris* (7)
98.) Billy Elliot (9)
99.) Masterminds* (2)
100.) Snack Shack* (9)

Best first time watches include Sweetheart, a wonderfully dry British film about young love on holiday, The Iron Claw which was a laugh a minute. Despite knowing the story, I was still shocked by some of it.

Perfect Days is the best type of film. Just gazing lazily into other people's lives and their journey through their time.

Anyone But You was a lovely film, and the chemistry between the two was great. I'd like to see Sweeney and Powell in more films together.

Notes On A Scandal was really strong, and if Cate Blanchett was ever my teacher, I'd have been trying it on as well (sorry). Judi Dench is phenomenonal in it.

Had never seen Hope & Glory, and that made a great D-Day double bill with Saving Private Ryan (still probably my favourite war and Spielberg film)

Hit Man was fantastic fare, as was Snack Shack, with Devon rightly knew I'd love as a coming of age film (aka my favourites)

Under Paris was fine, and I'm sure shark lovers will get a lot more out of it than I did. It just wasn't funny. I dont expect the sharks to be ba-doi-oi-oing people about but let me have some levity. Also should've called it Shark de Triomphe or In-Seine or something.

One Sunday for reasons known only to me, I randomly chucked on Titanic, for the first time in maybe 20 years.

It's an OK film, it's too long, obviously saccharine as shit, some really dreadful characterisation, however the two leads elevate it big time. They're brilliant in their roles, and while this isn't any new news, the film wouldn't have been anywhere as successful if it was two others.

You do genuinely believe their love. In fact the whole cast are great, Zane especially.

Do The Right Thing still the best of all time (this time watched with my eldest which was a big moment for me) and Billy Elliot again still a great film. 

Shit? Well Sisters was crap, but Masterminds took the biscuit. The thumbnail did NOT show Zack Galifanakis, and by the time I realised it was too late (I'm no quitter!) and he's in 95% of the film. It gets 2 for Wiig, who I always enjoy. I'll have to check but I think it's the worst film I've seen this year.

Next up? I might watch loads of films from 1999 because why not, so any suggestions are welcome (assume I've seen all the major ones)

So will let you all know about that. I bet you can't wait.

13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Next up? I might watch loads of films from 1999 because why not, so any suggestions are welcome (assume I've seen all the major ones)

I recently watched Existenz from 1999, and there's Wild Zero if you want something even more bat shit.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

10 Things I Hate About You is from 1999. I'm certain you've seen it already, but watch it again, it's brilliant. 

Edit: Watch with Election for a good double bill. 

Edited by gmoney

10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I recently watched Existenz from 1999, and there's Wild Zero if you want something even more bat shit.

Never seen either! On the list!

Just now, gmoney said:

10 Things I Hate About You is from 1999. I'm certain you've seen it already, but watch it again, it's brilliant.

One I watch often with my eldest but let's go again! Brilliant film.