WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Is anyone up for a proper UKFF Game of the Year thread this year? It’s been such a good year for gaming that it feels worthwhile. When I say a ‘proper thread’, I mean nominations and then a poll. I’d be more than happy to volunteer myself to do this, with my intent being to create a top 5/10 along the lines of my video game sales posts. If there’s no interest, or if people haven’t played enough games this year, I obviously won’t bother.

• Paid Members
On 12/10/2023 at 6:01 PM, RedRooster said:

Is anyone up for a proper UKFF Game of the Year thread this year? It’s been such a good year for gaming that it feels worthwhile. When I say a ‘proper thread’, I mean nominations and then a poll. I’d be more than happy to volunteer myself to do this, with my intent being to create a top 5/10 along the lines of my video game sales posts. If there’s no interest, or if people haven’t played enough games this year, I obviously won’t bother.

Yes.

• Paid Members

Getting incredibly tempted to pick up a PS5, I'm done with my current batch of games and looking at the list of things I want to play and they're mostly timed exclusives (God of War, Spider-Man 2, FF16 & 7R next year). Thinking it might be nice to have a gaming setup that isn't also just my work from home setup, so I don't find myself tempted to alt-tab into Slack to see what the Americans are up to.

30 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Getting incredibly tempted to pick up a PS5, I'm done with my current batch of games and looking at the list of things I want to play and they're mostly timed exclusives (God of War, Spider-Man 2, FF16 & 7R next year). Thinking it might be nice to have a gaming setup that isn't also just my work from home setup, so I don't find myself tempted to alt-tab into Slack to see what the Americans are up to.

There’s also Demon Souls, Horizon Forbidden West (probably the most visually stunning game I’ve played), Ratchet & Clank, Astro’s Playroom, The Last Of Us and Returnal. I love Gamepass, but I use my PS5 far more. You might be able to get a decent deal in the New Year sales. The Pro model likely isn’t far away, which should drop the prices of the older models too.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm right at the edge of it feeling affordable/worthwhile so I'll hold out 'til the end of the month and see what our money looks like/if they get a price drop. I'd mistakenly thought they'd already done a Pro, but I guess that was just the Slim

I was seriously tempted by the PS5 in the Black Friday sales, but will have to wait until after Christmas now. Its not even for me, it's for the 10yo really.

I sent one to my ex and said "Shall we go halves?" and it was a great price, but she pointed out that it only had one controller. 

My response: "Well, what are they?  A score?"

Readers, they are not £20. Absolute state of the prices these days. Are MadCatz still about? 😆

17 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I use my Switch more than both of them combined, though. 

That’s something I need to do more of. Other than the two Zelda games, I haven’t really used mine. But I’m looking into some of the Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong etc type games. They don’t often go on sale though. Platform games seem traditionally Christmassy to me for some reason, and Mario Wonder is calling out to me. 

I've been digging through my old Xbox Live purchases after booting up the old 360 and ended up replaying Dead Rising 2: Case Zero. I've now gone to CEX to rebuy the full game for two quid and carried that save over, it's janky as shit but it's stupid fun and I kinda miss when Capcom would make games this silly, even later games in the series went serious or grey and latched on to what they thought CoD gamers liked.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

That’s something I need to do more of. Other than the two Zelda games, I haven’t really used mine. But I’m looking into some of the Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong etc type games. They don’t often go on sale though. Platform games seem traditionally Christmassy to me for some reason, and Mario Wonder is calling out to me. 

I know what you mean, there's that nostalgia to it - those were inevitably the kind of games I'd be receiving for Christmas as a kid. 

Mario Wonder is really fun, but I'd also recommend A Hat in Time - I actually enjoyed that more than I did Mario Odyssey (which I also really loved) - it's probably better to play on your PS5 though, purely because of the loading times. It's also one that might be on Game Pass - I'm not sure. 

Tinykin is also worth playing - it looks a little Pikimin-like, but it's not actually like that game at all. It's a really fun platform game that looks like a Saturday morning cartoon. 

Donkey Kong Jungle Freeze is good, but really, really hard. If that's your thing, you'll love it. The Kirby games are generally great too - particularly if you have a child as they're really good co-op games. 

Rayman Legends is also really fun - it's weirdly underrated; I'd go as far as to call it one of the best 2D platforms ever, but it has somehow been slightly forgotten about. 

As far as Zelda goes, the Link's Awakening remake is really good. I'd also recommend Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I had loads of fun with that on Switch. It's like Dragon Quest, crossed with Minecraft. 

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Tinykin is also worth playing - it looks a little Pikimin-like, but it's not actually like that game at all. It's a really fun platform game that looks like a Saturday morning cartoon. 

Think it was your good self who recommended this previously and it’s a joy. A really fun puzzler.