WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Speaking of dodgy Japanese stuff, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney is on Game Pass. I recognise the image of the dude pointing but I’m not going to start playing it and have to defend a panty sniffer or someone who buys used wrestling gear or anything?

The games are on the older side now, so the worst you get is some dated representations and attitudes. I can't remember how prevalent they were - I tried replaying the games when the compilation first came out. My main problem was that you can spot the holes in a story very easily and figure out evidence that proves that - but unless you pick out the exact solution the game intends in the order it intends, you're not winning that case. 

10yo bought over her PS4 for the night and smashed, and I mean SMASHED, me about 10 times in a row at FIFA. Little shit.

She also won a Victory Royale on Fortnite and was very excited. I don't know how people play these games, they are so hectic with so much going on. There is no "rest" time. Still she likes it so that's all that matters.

I'm off to pine over Dizzy and maybe a quick go on The Last Of Us now she's asleep.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

You gotta pull out the PS1 and challenge her to some Adidas Power Soccer.

spacer.png

The only football game I played on PS1 was ISS Pro ‘97. The A.I. was a bit crap and you could easily rack up like, 32–0 in a game just by running up field, around the keeper coming off his line, and smashing the ball in the net.

Been really enjoying the N64 version of Quake 2 on that recent remaster/re-release they done of it. Such a cool endeavour with these ports to get the N64 version on there too for preservation. It's an absolute mood. Far better than proper Quake 2, in my estimation. Because of N64 limitations the levels actually feel tighter, and the moody music and lighting is top notch. 

• Paid Members

Doom64 is a entirely different experience as well. PS1 Doom has a totally different feel as well. 

• Paid Members
On 9/27/2023 at 2:18 PM, RedRooster said:

My main problem was that you can spot the holes in a story very easily and figure out evidence that proves that - but unless you pick out the exact solution the game intends in the order it intends, you're not winning that case. 

This is my experience of Ace Attorney too. I love the idea of the games, but get frustrated when I've figured out the solution, but not the exact point I need to present a piece of evidence to progress.

A while back I replayed Discworld 2, and while it's a very frustrating game - way too much dialogue, and gets a bit too cute with the metatextual stuff compared to the previous game - it has something I haven't seen in enough in point-and-click games, that something like Ace Attorney would benefit from, where Rincewind will tell you, "that's a good idea, but not just yet" when you try an interaction at the wrong time.

I'm still on Sea of Stars, and it definitely improves once it gets a bit more open world, and the story has pivoted to something a little less generically "save the world from an ancient evil". I still think it's maybe been slightly overrated by the gaming press, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Whereas Wrestlequest, which I started around the same time, I haven't been remotely tempted to even go back and play again.

27 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

After hearing good things about Pikmin 4 on here, I'm keen on getting into it. Is it fine to jump in on this one or is it worth playing the first ones too as I've not played them?

You can jump right in to this one if you want. It's no different from playing Breath of the Wild without playing any other Zelda, or Super Mario Odyssey without ever having played another Mario game. 

Splendid. Only just got a Switch but there's so many games I want to play on there. I've not had a Nintendo console in years but it's just what I want from gaming. People say it's an old console and had old hardware at the time but I think the graphics are often beautiful, partly because they're not trying to be hyper-realistic.