WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

42 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Had a go of the demo of Robocop: Rogue City and was surprisingly impressed. A lot of the early gameplay footage made it out to be a brainless shooter but it's actually a brainless shooter with heart. It's essentially a shiny paint job over something you'd play on the PS2 and love. Janky ragdoll arcade shooting with guts and bodies flying everywhere and everything explodes, but then you get some actual thought-out story and character work and dialogue options.

A few characters from the movies appear, including Anne Lewis and the Old Man but unlike Robocop (and because most of them are dead) they aren't voiced by their original actors. The demo section of the story is based around Nuke too so if you're a fan of the films there seems to be plenty of fan service.

It's not going to win any awards but if you want a game where you play as Robocop blowing shit up and handing out parking tickets then this is the game for you.

By the same devs as Terminator Resistance, right? 

That was a fun little game and I've had my eye on Robocop, gonna have to pick it up, eventually. 

14 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Balder's Gate 3 (PS5) 

Pretty overwhelming and I'm struggling with battles atm but I can already see why the game is already so highly regarded.

Can see me sinking ungodly amount of hours into it, once I finally understand just what the fuck I'm doing, lmao. 

The first paragraph kind of sums up how I feel about it. I don’t know if I have the time I need to get what I could out of this game. Plus I’m not massively into the D&D stuff. I can absolutely see why people enjoy it, though.

31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Plus I’m not massively into the D&D stuff. I can absolutely see why people enjoy it, though.

Same here. I know about D&D but that's it. 

My advice to D&D novices, playing it for the first time is to play on the easiest setting, feels closer to a 'normal' game experience to me, than 'balanced' which was kicking the shit out of me. 

Also seen people recommend turning off karmic dice, in the settings which I've done. Not really sure what the effect is though.

Also don't be afraid/too proud to save scum. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Same here. I know about D&D but that's it. 

My advice to D&D novices, playing it for the first time is to play on the easiest setting, feels closer to a 'normal' game experience to me, than 'balanced' which was kicking the shit out of me. 

Also seen people recommend turning off karmic dice, in the settings which I've done. Not really sure what the effect is though.

Also don't be afraid/too proud to save scum. 

Absolutely required. 

My GOTY so far this year, really enjoyed it. Keep seeing bits I've missed on TikTok but everytime I try and restart it, I get distracted and close it off. 

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

My GOTY so far this year, really enjoyed it.

It’s such a mad year (presumably due to the pandemic delaying certain titles) for GOTY - given that there are so many games that would be the runaway obvious choice for this in any other year - Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, Diablo IV, Street Fighter VI, Final Fantasy XVI, Pikmin 4, Dead Space, Jedi Survivor, Metroid Prime Remastered, Hogwarts Legacy, F-Zero 99 and that’s before we get to indie games like Dave the Diver, Dredge and Pizza Tower. Then, on the horizon, we have Spider-Man 2, Super Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG. It’s one hell of a year for videogames, surely one of the best ever.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Maybe a bit preemptive since I haven’t played it, but I can’t see anything else being my personal GOTY. Booked a week off work to play it.

I hope they learn from their mistakes in the first game - it was great, but I don’t know what they were thinking with the sections where you play as MJ or Miles Morales. No one is playing a Spider-Man game to not play as Spider-Man. I thought the Miles Morales spin-off was much better, so I’m really looking forward to this.

• Paid Members

Mortal Kombat 1 was alright, better than 10 and 11. The first half of the story was really good, funny and toyed with my expectations well. It seemed like it was going to be a great reset for the series like 9, then it just completely fell off a cliff from about the Scorpion chapter on. I wasn't big on the (ugh) Kameo system, just let me do my own moves, ta, would have preferred having the environmental attacks and weapons back over having a partner. It's MK so it's always fun to play, but this was a huge missed opportunity for the series and I have very little hope in their universe being interesting anymore now...

Spoiler

FUCK MULTIVERSES, JESUS CHRIST, GO AWAY! I'd been so happy to see the back of all the zombie characters as well. Between them and the shit mash-up characters at the end it felt like they were just trolling. I didn't even get to fight the only one of them that looked cool, Goro Kahn.

I like what they did with Reptile, Baraka and bae Mileena though, my Empress!

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Cheers for the Sniper Elite recommendation, guys. Been playing SE5 on Game Pass this week and it's definitely my type of game.

Also tried Gotham Knights on Game Pass, but I had to pack it in. I mean, I know some people didn't like Arkham Origins when it came out and WB Montreal took a bit of a hit for it, but I thought it was a decent enough chapter in the Arkham series. How they then managed to make something as stiff and janky as this is beyond me. Literally everything feels so much worse: combat, puzzles, traversal, game layout. Would Rocksteady have had major grounds to sue or something if they'd borrowed more from from came before? It feels crazy that a game made by some of the same people can take such a drastic backwards step.

Sacked off Starfield as I wasn’t feeling it. I’m sure I’ll go back to it at some point though. 

Started the new Forza. Really enjoying it, don’t know if it’s a new feature but you get scored on segments of the track as you qualify and race. All adds to your XP. 

Had a quick go in the murky world of online. Everyone had the same car and I did a few qualifying laps at Laguna Seca. The race itself saw the usual first corner pile up so I was cruising for a 4th place when some bhenchod knocked me off the track. All in all, a great first impression. 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:50 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I’ll be interested to see where this heads. 

We got married in a quick ceremony on the Costa Del Sol planet, then she clipped and got stuck in the hotel door. She's been invisible in my save ever since but I don't have the heart to dump her yet. 

15 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

We got married in a quick ceremony on the Costa Del Sol planet, then she clipped and got stuck in the hotel door. She's been invisible in my save ever since but I don't have the heart to dump her yet. 

Haha! She got killed in mine! Good to know there are different pathways!

On 10/4/2023 at 12:32 PM, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Lies Of P is rage inducing. I’m loving the game but I’m currently stuck on a boss, and I might just give up entirely if I can’t beat the fucker.

I eventually beat this boss (fire puppet fella) after roughly 30-35 attempts. Then got equally stuck a few bosses later. I was close to giving up yesterday and deleting the game. But I have it one last go and eventually beat this next one (fast sword fella). Hands were shaking afterwards. The tension and relief from these type of games is like nothing else. To make my life even more frustrating, I’ve got the new Lords Of The Fallen waiting for me at home. So I’ll be flitting between two Souls-like games for the foreseeable. Knowing my luck, Elden Ring dlc will drop (and hopefully won’t get damaged, Keith) soon just to pile on the difficulty. I love these games. I hate these games.