WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I think what benefits New Vegas is that there's more of a linearity to it. Fallout 3 just chucks you out there and leaves you to it so it can be a bit daunting. 

I get the maze thing. I tried to replay it recently but trying to navigate around those huge sections of crumbled buildings is a nightmare. It feels like the kind of thing that's designed to subtly only stream in certain sectors of the open world at any one time, but it's just the design of it. 

That hour you leave the vault and start to get to know Megaton is also the absolute peak. New Vegas can take anywhere from 5 to 15 hours - depending on how you swing it- for its peaks of popping in and out of New Vegas itself, seeing the Legion raise hell etc. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

10 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm finally playing Red dead 2, I stated it a couple of years back but stopped when you stumbled around drunk in a bar. It's great but I've yet to get drawn into any of the characters or story so it's just fun short bursts doing a couple of missions or challenges without worry if I park it for a few days between. 

It’s understandable that you thought the game peaked at the greatest mission there ever was.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Racing games peaked with getting Tiff Needell to say "cheat mode enabled" in toca. That and Newman Haas racing. 

I had a conversation with a mate a few weeks ago about how the PS1 was the absolute golden age for racing games; TOCA and Colin McRae Rally were the only non-Championship Manager games my Dad ever played, and then you had decent F1 games, Gran Turismo, and dafter stuff like Demolition Derby on top of that. Everything seemed the right balance of realism and attention to detail for the enthusiasts, and mindless fun for the casuals like me. Plus they usually had daft cheats, and that's something missing from today's games in general.

I've been playing Dirt 5 recently, which I just this moment learned grew out of the Colin McRae franchise, though you'd never know it. It's fun, but feels a bit soulless and repetitive at times. 

I'm finally playing Red dead 2, I stated it a couple of years back but stopped when you stumbled around drunk in a bar. It's great but I've yet to get drawn into any of the characters or story so it's just fun short bursts doing a couple of missions or challenges without worry if I park it for a few days between. 

I was much the same when I played it - it helped that it was a lockdown game for me, so I just sank countless hours into it. When I started playing, loads of people were telling me how great the story was and how they cried at the end, and for hours and hours I just couldn't see it; the characters were good enough, the story was fine, but mostly it was all the open world stuff that I was finding fun, just riding a horse around for ages, seeing what I stumbled across, stopping to hunt from time to time. The story really sneaks up on you, though, to the point where there's a bit of a heel turn towards the end where, even knowing it was coming, in the exact moment I got genuinely angry, I felt actually betrayed. By the end I was completely invested in all of it. A masterpiece of a game, though admittedly I'm a sucker for the "dying days of the old west" setting in any capacity.

Chrono trigger is just super though, I'm not big on rpgs but it's one I do really enjoy. Only thing is it's a bit too open, having played it years ago it's not too bad as I vaguely remember bits, but there's still times I walking around trying to find the person to talk to to move things on. It's always worse when I get to the future, hours just doing fuck all because I've not said hello to some nob rot sat in the corner. 

One of my favourite games of all-time, but I agree that it definitely suffers from the biggest problem of RPGs of that era, in that it rarely points you in the right direction or gives you a clear indication of what you're meant to be doing next, so any missed line of dialogue, or an area you'd forgotten to explore, so you're left ambling around hopelessly.

Similarly, I started playing Beneath A Steel Sky for the first time since I was a kid, as I picked up the sequel recently. Died on the very first puzzle because a) I assumed it was like Monkey Island and you couldn't die, and b) it had the awful point and click thing of the object I needed to interact with not being remotely clear, so I was stuck until I resorted to tediously hovering the mouse over every pixel until it showed something I hadn't noticed.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think what benefits New Vegas is that there's more of a linearity to it. Fallout 3 just chucks you out there and leaves you to it so it can be a bit daunting. 

I think like with most open world games, there is a bit of linearity to Fallout 3- it steers you around the map in a certain route and leaving the rest for you to discover later. That's what I want from an open world game, rather than being dumped in the middle of nowhere (which as you say, can be daunting).

The things I didn't like about Fallout 3 were how inaccessible a lot of the city centre was (piled up building debris etc blocking your way) and the fucking subway with the same ghouls all the time.

• Paid Members

I think these more open world driving games have come from the success of the likes of Burnout Paradise, Midnight Club and Forza Horizon. 

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've been playing Dirt 5 recently, which I just this moment learned grew out of the Colin McRae franchise, though you'd never know it. It's fun, but feels a bit soulless and repetitive at times. 

The development team for Dirt 5 was mostly the remains of the studio that did the MotorStorm and Driveclub games - You can definitely see the influence of those 2 games in Dirt 5 more than any other previous iterations of the series.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BigJag said:

I've had Wreckfest on PS4 for  a while. I've not gotten around to playing it. What are peoples opinions on Wreckfest? Does it require a lot of time to be invested. Or is it pick up and play?

Nah, very much pick up and play. The activities are pretty much split into banger races or demolition derbies, so whilst it’s easy to pick up, it’s also not something you play for hours on end without it feeling repetitive. But games like that suit me down to the ground where I can hop and play for an hour or so over lunch or after work.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Nah, very much pick up and play. The activities are pretty much split into banger races or demolition derbies, so whilst it’s easy to pick up, it’s also not something you play for hours on end without it feeling repetitive. But games like that suit me down to the ground where I can hop and play for an hour or so over lunch or after work.

Sounds like it'd be fun if you had a bunch of mates who could all hop online for a game after you've been down the pub.