The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, FUM said:

I get that you're basically WWE bad, AEW good in most threads though and that's fine. 

What's that got to do with you trying to stop people discussing stuff they don't like because we should all watch wrestling like we've got one brain cell? I liked the match and said so. Others didn't and they said so. That's what the board's for.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thing is he's got this far and been this successful by not doing much more, so why would he? I see his point about the NXT guys trying to kill themselves just for some attention and it works to a certain extent, but it's definitely not the way to have a prolonged career. Would Randy have been more successful if he'd worked last night's style all the time? Or would he have just cut his career short? Who knows.

It's not like he killed himself last night or anything though. He just looked like he gave a shit when most of his career he looks bored out there. It's not about bumps or moves with Randy. It's just that you can very clearly see when he's enjoying himself and cares because he emotes so much more and draws the viewer in. When they give him something to sink his teeth into hes on a different level from everyone else. It's a huge difference to the usual Orton match where they just send him out there for endless pointless matches in nothing feuds and he just goes through the motions.

Edited by LaGoosh

Not entirely what I said though is it? I said I don't know why people bother when they don't enjoy a thing and want to pick on camera angles etc. constantly. Same people every thread who just seem to want to punish themselves and keep watching something they hate. Some should just give it up if they hate it so much.

Folk didn't keep watching Big Brother when it became shit and overproduced to them. They gave it up. There is a growing trend of people on here who watch just to moan about every little aspect.

Not saying people aren't allowed to dislike things but when the same people dislike the same things every week and yet still watch it just to moan about it, it gets tiresome to read.

Can't remember the last WWE thread that didn't have a comment based around how this and that is overproduced. We get it. 

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

It's not like he killed himself last night or anything though. He just looked like he gave a shit when most of his career he looks bored out there. It's not about bumps or moves with Randy. It's just that you can very clearly see when he's enjoying himself and cares because he emotes so much more and draws the viewer in. When they give him something to sink his teeth into hes on a different level from everyone else. It's a huge difference to the usual Orton match where they just send him out there for endless pointless matches in nothing feuds and he just goes through the motions.

Oh absolutely, I know Randy wasn't exactly doing Canadian Destroyers or anything at Backlash. But it was definitely a lot more move-heavy than his usual work. Most of it made sense, although I would've liked the commentators to be a little more subtle about some of the references.

• Paid Members

It was a perfectly serviceable WWE main event. Might have been better if it had been live, but then probably would have booked and presented entirely differently if it had been.

The weird late '70s/early '80s trappings of the MSG microphone, Finkel's voice, and Charles Robinson's old-fashioned gear just seemed bizarre, as none of it played into anything - they didn't present the match as if it were filmed anywhere else, it wasn't edited or produced to look like a "classic" of days gone by, they just stuck that stuff at the beginning and then very quickly moved on. It's pretty telling that WWE's attempt to do "best ever" is to call back to the past, rather than celebrate where they're at now - in that respect I'm surprised they went with MSG references rather than the Attitude Era, but maybe this was Bruce Prichard's personal nostalgia trip. Either way, it's not a good look to say, "remember what you used to have?"

Speaking of Attitude Era nostalgia - a lot of wrestlers I've worked with or spoken to have all had stories of working inconsequential indie shows where whatever they were doing wasn't getting over, so they just thought "fuck it" and started spamming old WWF finishers to amuse themselves. A stretch of this match felt like that. There's some kayfabe logic for Orton going for a Pedigree, but Edge hitting the Rock Bottom? In a match that's already seen the Three Amigos and Christian's finish?

In terms of editing - there was a point where Samoa Joe was visible on camera, his mouth shut, while you could hear him speaking on commentary. It would be rightly shat on if any TV show had that level of poor continuity. I have no objection to "cinematic matches" in principle, but they should be reserved for daft stuff like the Boneyard Match that's at a different location to the main show. Doing a standard wrestling match, but having retakes and impossible camera angles within it, feels like a waste of time and like you're slightly insulting the audience's intelligence. It starts to feel like wrestling actually is all the stuff your wrestling hating dad said it was - all acting, fake blood and whiffed punches - except that, in spite of all that, wrestlers are still getting injured and cut open. It's not worth it.

Finally caught up with the match. Thought it was great and certainly one of the best WWE matches of the year so far, even if the commentators did hammer home the references a bit too much at times. Hopefully Edge's injury isn't too serious and he can finish this feud off before going on to have a few fresh matches.