The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever

HarmonicGenerator

Don't know why some people bother anymore. Yeah, it maybe wasn't the greatest wrestling match ever but amount of folk that watch just to pick on a camera angle rather than commenting on a great match that just happened is bizarre these days. 

• Paid Members

I thought it was ok. Enjoyed the first half quite a lot. The second half was your standard WWE main event as far as I could tell with all the usual stuff they do. Impressive that Edge pulled it off at his age, post retirement and with a bicep injury too. 

1 hour ago, FUM said:

Don't know why some people bother anymore. Yeah, it maybe wasn't the greatest wrestling match ever but amount of folk that watch just to pick on a camera angle rather than commenting on a great match that just happened is bizarre these days. 

Imagine how low the ratings would be if you took away all the geeks that hate watch 7 to 11 hours a week so they can go online and cry about it

I think they did good with such an albatross. These epic main event style matches suffer the most for me without the crowd, there's nobody to rally them up and get them back on their feet after all the selling and laying about. I thought Bryan/Styles was way better, they played to the environment. This felt too long and was a bit cringe when they started trading other peoples finishers. Still, they massively over delivered. Orton looked great and Edge looked well up to it. Joe has a tendency to fade into to the background but agree he was class here. Really brought it up a level.   

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Imagine how low the ratings would be if you took away all the geeks that hate watch 7 to 11 hours a week so they can go online and cry about it

Even without the regular watchers who hate it, they promote something like this to appeal to people who don't watch regularly. Like WrestleMania.

Some people would prefer an echo chamber though.

1 hour ago, FUM said:

Editing is part and parcel of the enjoyment of any TV or film. The audience might not be aware of it - in fact, with the best editing, the audience WON'T be aware of it - but it's an integral part of the whole product and experience. The more a viewer watches, the more savvy they get to all the aspects of medium, and more aware of what they enjoy and why.

It makes perfect sense for a viewer, regardless of time spent watching a genre, and in an era without crowd sound and therefore thrusting all the other elements into the forefront of viewers' attention, to complain when ADHD camera cutting is actively getting in the way of enjoying the actual action.

Will give this match a go tonight. Edge is my captain, and I'm not fussed about the rest of the card.

Edited by CavemanLynn

4 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

Quite enjoyed the match. When Randy wants to, he can really work. He was clearly leading the match too yet disguised it with talking crap to Edge. Great bit at the end where he was saying go home. 

Thing is he's got this far and been this successful by not doing much more, so why would he? I see his point about the NXT guys trying to kill themselves just for some attention and it works to a certain extent, but it's definitely not the way to have a prolonged career. Would Randy have been more successful if he'd worked last night's style all the time? Or would he have just cut his career short? Who knows.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

When Randy wants to, he can really work.

Orton is a supreme worker. Night in, night out. He's not having 7* matches and he's not trying to. He's giving people a good, safe match, getting in his bus and making the next date.

32 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Editing is part and parcel of the enjoyment of any TV or film. The audience might not be aware of it - in fact, with the best editing, the audience WON'T be aware of it - but it's an integral part of the whole product and experience. The more a viewer watches, the more savvy they get to all the aspects of medium, and more aware of what they enjoy and why.

It makes perfect sense for a viewer, regardless of time spent watching a genre, and in an era without crowd sound and therefore thrusting all the other elements into the forefront of viewers' attention, to complain when ADHD camera cutting is actively getting in the way of enjoying the actual action.

Will give this match a go tonight. Edge is my captain, and I'm not fussed about the rest of the card.

I'm just a wrestling fan mate. I don't watch the shows like they are some kind of Tarantino classic. 

6 minutes ago, FUM said:

I'm just a wrestling fan mate. I don't watch the shows like they are some kind of Tarantino classic. 

They're a TV company producing a TV show for a major network. I'd expect competency.

Most fans won't spot it. Some might find they're not enjoying shows and won't know why; others will enjoy them and won't care. That's fine.

I spot these things now, unfortunately, and they're like Riker entering a room shoulder-first in Star Trek TNG or Boris Johnson pointing with his thumb - I can't unsee it.

6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Ah, that classic.

Wonder why advertisers think all wrestling fans are bumpkins? Dumb it down, lads.

It's far too easy to criticise during something great. I'm not saying it's unnoticeable during the shite stuff cause I notice it too. I also agree completely commentary for the most part is shite and can take away from a match. However, if the match is good enough, camera cuts don't really matter and this match was. 

I get that you're basically WWE bad, AEW good in most threads though and that's fine.