King of the Ring 2019

Snugglecakes

OK, so WWE unexpectedly announced that the King of the Ring tournament returns next week. I'm a sucker for tournaments, so I'm looking forward to it. It's not a one nighter unfortunately, but I like most of the guys in the tourney.

Here are the entrants:

Raw: Ricochet, The Miz, Cedric Alexander, Drew McIntyre, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Baron Corbin, Samoa Joe

SmackDown: Elias, Kevin Owens, Chad Gable, Andrade, Shelton Benjamin, Buddy Murphy, Ali, Apollo Crews

So, does Drew win to cement him as a top heel to challenge Seth? Do we get awesome TV with King Miz? Do they continue to elevate someone like Ricochet or Ali? 

I would be happy if Corbin, Drew, Cedric, Shelton or Apollo don't win this. Find all of them dull at the moment and don't think it would do anything for them whether to kick start them or help towards a push.

I can already see Sami Zayn getting one back over on Samoa Joe, Cesaro & Ricochet facing off again, Shane/Drew screwing over Owens (and Owens probably screwing over Drew).

I'm really liking Ricochet & Andrade at the moment so would love to see a final of them two, also think this could maybe help Chad Gable kick start his career again. 

Be much better if this was a 8 man special one night show on the network or something, I don't like KOTR's that go on for a few weeks as the whole original point of the tournament was to have to go through 3 matches on the same night to win it.

Although I obviously understand that they need to fill there 6 hours of TV a week somehow.

• Paid Members

The best thing about the KOTR is for the wrestlers to find the most creative ways not to wear the crown (because they usually look shit.) Bret got a good kicking afterwards and never wore it again. Austin just walked past it. Triple H smashed it against Mankind's head. Angle got laughed at, because he looked fittingly daft and stopped wearing it.

The first PPV KOTR crown and septre (that Bret won) was actually one that Jerry Lawler had in his house. WWF's attention to detail and expense on props was at an all time low in 1993, that they asked Lawler to bring one for the angle himself.