Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

Celtic were impressive on Saturday, although St. Johnstone did not play well at all. 

I think if Celtic keep most key players fit we should win the league again this season. Apart from Aribo and maybe Ojo I don't think Rangers have really added any quality to their squad this season. Whereas Celtic have added good quality and decent cover so far. 

It's encouraging to have a squad that didn't need Jullien, Griffiths, Sinclair, Tierney, Rogic, Shved, Ntcham and others in the starting XI on Sunday.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, David said:

A absolutely resilient win at home to Killie tonight to maintain 3rd spot behind the Bigot Brothers. What a time to be alive.

I don’t quite understand why Stephen Robinson and Motherwell don’t quite get their dues. He’s kind of quietly built them into a very good team, yet you rarely hear of him being linked with bigger clubs or even getting praised for the job he’s done. It’s really odd. 

It's apt that our league splits into two, because this season is very much a tale of two halves. The teams in the top 6 all have at least something about them: Celtic and Rangers look to be going back to the O'Neill/Advocaat dates of winning nearly every game. Motherwell have almost completely rebranded their style of play in the last year and it's paying dividends. Killie look to have stabilised and are adjusting to life without Clarke. Aberdeen are horrendous but you know they will pick up enough results over the piece to keep them in the argument for a European place. And Livi are, well, Livi: you know what you're getting there.

The bottom half are absolutely abysmal, and I include my own team Hibs within that. If we were going to make a decision about Heckingbottom, it should have been before now as it would be too harsh to bin him after the semi final against Celtic unless we lose about 7-0 or something. Hearts look totally bereft, and as much pleasure as it gives me: a club with their resources shouldn't be 11th going into November. It says it all about the bottom half that St Johnstone have been chronic since the start of the season and are up to 8th after two good results. There is as much to play for at the bottom as there is at the top, as I'd say all six clubs are in trouble as it stands.

On paper Hearts and Hibs have two of the strongest non-Old Firm squads in the league. It’s a real shame to see them struggling in the way that they are, and it almost feels like a reverse Romanov era at Hearts, in that you have a manager in charge who wields so much power he can’t actually be shifted. I hope for their sake he decides to step aside soon, or at the very least step back into his old job.

6 hours ago, RedRooster said:

On paper Hearts and Hibs have two of the strongest non-Old Firm squads in the league. It’s a real shame to see them struggling in the way that they are, and it almost feels like a reverse Romanov era at Hearts, in that you have a manager in charge who wields so much power he can’t actually be shifted. I hope for their sake he decides to step aside soon, or at the very least step back into his old job.

Seems you have a point - Hearts have sacked Craig Levein but he remains at the club. Too much power there for sure.