John Wick

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Honestly, I'm not even sure where the action film goes from here after the one-two punch of Fallout and John Wick Chapter 3 in the last year. They're both *so* good that it seems impossible to me that they could be bettered, but it should be loads of fun seeing the same directors, and hopefully some others, try.

It's a brilliant film. There was one scene* which was so insanely fast-paced that I involuntarily laughed out loud at it, like it driven me into genuine delirium.

Also, Jerome Flynn!

It was the scene where they're all chucking knives at each other. FUCKING HELL.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw Chapter 3 today.

That opening 20 minutes or so was mental enough in itself lol. God knows what the body count was too. Hundreds seemed to have been shot, stabbed and all sorts.

A literal blast from start to finish and I fucking loved it. Reeves was born to play Wick and I'm so glad he's found a great franchise for himself after all these years.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

His first great franchise.

Clearly forgotten Bill and Ted.

I remember having to "find" the first John Wick because it took about 8 months for them to release it over here. I knew nothing about it except it was being raved about in the states, it was an action film and it stared Keanu Reeves (AKA the nicest man in Hollywood). I had to coax my wife to watch it because they did not sell it to her. But we both loved it. Were having a rare date night to see it on Saturday and I am gutted I have to wait until then, knowing I could just go and see it right now, but I am glad it seems to have kept the high standard of the previous films.

• Paid Members

I'm away to see this at the weekend and I am absolutely delighted to read all the glowing reviews it is getting.

I always assume the next one will be rubbish too because I always wonder how they match what they just did.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I remember putting off watching John Wick for years because I knew the dog died. Everything he does to every bad guy in each of the films is still not enough revenge. Was very pleased to see the dog in Chapter 2 remained unharmed!

I’m with you. My wife wanted to turn it off in disgust. When you then realise it’s like Doggy Death Wish it makes up for it

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I remember putting off watching John Wick for years because I knew the dog died. Everything he does to every bad guy in each of the films is still not enough revenge. Was very pleased to see the dog in Chapter 2 remained unharmed!

No real dogs were shot by Russian mobsters, real or otherwise, in the making of this film.

Is it better than Part 2?  Although I enjoyed it, it dragged and felt like it was rehashing old ground.

• Paid Members

My other half really enjoyed the first one, but not the second. I thought the second one did a great job raising the stakes and am looking forward to the third, but get the feeling I might have to wait for it on bluray or Netflix. 

Seeing it on Friday. Buzzing. Like others I have the pleasure of my other half being really into it, too, because of the dog. First two instalments are neck and neck, for me. The original has your introduction to the character, Chapter 2 really pulling the curtain back on the fact that there's a decent underworld to explore here, as well. 

I love Keanu. I'm a Matrix boy, though, sorry Devon. Was the perfect age for its manic blend of philosophical sci fi and Rob Zombie. I'm one of those odious creatures who enjoys discussing the sequels, whilst being nonetheless aware of their cinematic shortcomings (chiefly the litany of Aussie supporting actors who made the whole thing feel a bit TV. Anthony Zerbe shouldn't be doing soliloquy about robots. )

Tyler Bates does a killer job scoring Wick, too. He's even made Marilyn Manson's recent output somewhat trendy again. 

Really can't wait, now. 

Archived