The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Dana is going to try to talk him into another fight with McGregor isn't he? Maybe ask Khabib to go easy on him this time.

Sadly, no one at 155lbs at the moment looks like an interesting fight for Khabib. 

Justin Gaethje
Dustin Poirier
Charles Oliveira
Conor McGregor
Tony Ferguson
Dan Hooker
Rafael Dos Anjos
Paul Felder
Diego Ferreira
Al Iaquinta

That is the top 10 fighters at 155lbs. Khabib has beaten the #1, #2, #4, #7 and #10. Oliveira could be an interesting fight, but you would not think it is anything Khabib would rush out of retirement for.

There is always the talk of a fight with GSP, but GSP has only fought once in 7 years (in 2017)! Khabib has little to gain from the fight. If Khabib wins then he has beaten someone who was once a WW great, but hasn't done anything for years and is nowhere near his prime. If GSP wins, then Khabib loses a lot of his mystique, his unbeaten record and has lost to someone who is not active or relevant in 2021.

I think the offer of the GSP fight for his 30th and quite possible last professional fight in the UFC would be tasty enough to possibly persuade him to do it but like you said there is nothing really testing for him to break that promise he made to his mum and dad within the top 10 ranked lightweights.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dzeko10 said:

Going back to the Nate Diaz return fight discussion...

With Nick supposedly fighting this year aswell you don't reckon they would have them both fight on the same card? 

that could be great, that's killing two potential PPV headliners with one stone though.

I dont have high hopes for eithers return though, especially Nick.

• Paid Members

There’s going to be an announcement on Khabib’s future today. I bet he’s convinced him to fight again. 

He’s clearly banking on Khabib vs McGregor 2. I’ll piss myself if Khabib agrees to come back for one more fight and then Poirier sparks McGregor next week and kills it dead 😂 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

There’s going to be an announcement on Khabib’s future today. I bet he’s convinced him to fight again. 

He’s clearly banking on Khabib vs McGregor 2. I’ll piss myself if Khabib agrees to come back for one more fight and then Poirier sparks McGregor next week and kills it dead 😂 

im not so sure, Dana mentioning the co-main leads me to believe that next week will either be two eliminator fights, or they'll stick the belt on the McGregor fight and Hooker/Chandler will be the no.1 contender fight.

3pm Eastern is 8pm our time too, so i guess it'll be at the start of the main card.

Fedor is being treated for COVID in a Russian hospital - https://www.rt.com/sport/513220-fedor-emelianenko-coronavirus-hospital/

From his IG page:

"Thanks to all who are genuinely concerned for my health "I feel fine, I am going into recovery. I'm grateful to the doctors and medical staff for their care and hard work."