The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Always knew Bryan Caraway was a wrong’un. Miesha Tate is well shot of him. Dodgy bastard. The stuff about him wanting to strangle her is disturbing as fuck as well. 

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/2/17/22287142/ufc-veteran-bryan-caraway-charged-with-insurance-fraud-miesha-tate-mma-crime-news

Hell of a lot of respect for Leon Edwards in taking this fight. Belal has nothing to lose and everything to gain in this one, if he loses he doesn't lose his ranking, he carries on fighting top 10-15 guys and putting a run together. If we wins he spring shots himself into the top 5 and puts himself a fight away from a title shot. It's Edwards who has everything to lose here. I usually cheer for the underdog in situations like this and Belal is an incredibly likeable guy but the courage by Edwards has made me a do a complete 180 on him. I was always luke warm on him before I feel he deserves a tonne of respect now.

• Paid Members

Very much an ‘I’ll believe it when I see it’ thing at this point but Dan Hardy’s still teasing that comeback he’s been dropping hints about for the best part of a fucking decade! Wouldn’t mind seeing this, to be fair.

You have to think if Hardy’s ever fighting again, he needs to get a move on. He turns 39 in May. It’s time to either glove up or just stop talking about it. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the thing with Lewis though was most of the comeback talk and speculation there was coming from fans and media hyping it up anytime he went near an event. With Hardy, no-one’s exactly clamouring for it, it’s just him keep bringing it up. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind seeing him back for a fight or two against Brown or even a Condit rematch or something. But I can take it or leave it at this point. There’s plenty going on at 170 to sink the teeth into. Watching commentator Hardy vs a shot Diego Sanchez or something isn’t high on my list of things I want to see. 

• Paid Members

Hardy's actual career was a strange one. He was probably the first Brit. to properly take advantage of marketing and having abit of a gimmick. I remember Hardy getting mainstream press here before he's even fought or just after he got into the UFC. His marketing savvy helped him get that title shot against GSP too, he had a good streak but Hardy's run was against real favourable opponents and he eeked out a few of them. Credit to him that when he got that shot with GSP it did feel like a huge deal.