The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

The thing for me about Adesanya is that he's very hittable. He's come out of a few fights with some serious damage to his face.

If Blachowicz connects, he can put Adesanya away. He's got the kind of power that no one Adesanya has faced has brought to the table before I think.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Jan isnt complaining, this is by far the biggest fight/payday of his career. Even if he feels like a sacrificial lamb, being served up he gets chance to go out and mess up the UFC's plan in a fair one on one fight. Why would he not want this?

Yeh, I guess, on mature reflection, it's not bad for Blachowicz. Still maintain it's short-sighted, and unfair to TeFlaira.

On 12/31/2020 at 6:49 PM, Egg Shen said:

Honestly, i think the ideal outcome is the have Izzy beat Jan, Jones beat Stipe and do Izzy vs. Jones for the heavyweight belt. That would be monstrous.

...don't tell Francis.

Surely there is no way that Izzy is daft enough to fight at heavyweight. 

I know he's a vastly superior fighter to everyone north of 185lbs, but we have weightclasses for a reason. 

• Paid Members

He's fought as heavy as 220lb in kickboxing previously so he has history of being of effective as a heavier fighter. It sounds like a mental idea but Adesanya absolutely comes across as the kind of guy that would snatch at the chance to become the first 3 weight World Champion in UFC history, especially if its Jones' holding the title.

• Paid Members

I’d rather see Adesanya vs Jones at 205 myself. I get why Izzy would find it appealing to go after a third belt and he did fight at HW technically in the past but let’s face it, he’s not a Heavyweight. Jones is already the naturally bigger man if they fight at 205. Doing it at HW just gives Jones even more of an advantage because then the doesn’t have to cut weight at all and can just blow up to his natural size. Sure, Adesanya wouldn’t be cutting either but he’s still going to be giving up that natural physical size and strength. And when you factor in the grappling that’s huge. I’ve seen a few people going ‘well he fought at 220 before’ and I get it. But that was purely striking and he wasn’t fighting Jon Jones. 

I also think people are massively overlooking Jan Blachowicz in all this. We’re talking about him going for a third division’s title when he hasn’t even won his second yet. And Jan’s no bum and, again, he’s the naturally bigger man and has shown legit power against real proven and tested 205ers. I wouldn’t be as confident as most seem to be that Adesanya just comes up from 185 and walks through him.

Which leads me to this. Johnny Walker vs Jim Crute has been announced for March. Good fight.

Yet you read the quote tweets for that and a big old chunk of it is ‘RIP Johnny’ and ‘the UFC must hate Johnny Walker’ type shit. I get favouring Crute but it’s hardly a lamb to the slaughter booking, is it? I’m seeing this a lot lately. My fault for looking at social media, I know. But it’s dopey. Suddenly everyone’s on the Crute bandwagon. Same with Raoni Barcelos. No-one was  hyping him up before his fun scrap with Khalid Taha recently. Now they’ve announced Barcelos vs Raphael Assuncao and the response was all ‘get Assuncao a body bag’. Actually saw similar when Wonderboy vs Geoff Neal was booked as well. ‘Neal’s about to commit a homicide’ and all that. Didn’t exactly work out. Nobody seems to look beyond a fighter’s most recent fight. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah i fully agree with what you say there, I dont fancy Adesanya's chances if that were to happen, but with Jones' already saying he has no plans on going back 205lb, and considering tge UFC are the surely gonna try and shoehorn him into a heavyweight title fight asap, i just see that being the ultimate end game...unless of course is bluffing and does agree to come back to 205lb. They are are gonna want Jones/Adesanaya to happen somewhere.

• Paid Members

It’s a weird one because I think a lot could depend on how Jones does at HW. If he goes up and looks spectacular and beats the winner of Miocic/Ngannou, he’s probably not coming back down to 205 anytime soon, if ever again. But say he moves up and Stipe or Francis smash him to bits (god, please) where would that leave him? I’m not sure Jones’ ego would allow him to go back to 205 then because it’d be like admitting defeat. Could hurt the buzz for Jones vs Adesanya as well, although I actually think it might add to it in a funny way. Izzy would be relentless if Jones got twatted at HW. Like you say, that’s a fight people will want to see regardless. 

I don’t know. A LOT has to happen for Jones vs Adesanya to actually materialise. Especially for the Heavyweight title. I mean, I’m talking about people overlooking Blachowicz but we’re also forgetting that Jones has to get by Stipe or Francis first, which is a mammoth task, especially if it’s Stipe still holding the gold. At the end of the day, it’s MMA. I just can’t see all of this playing out without one of them losing, getting popped by USADA and so on. Hopefully it happens eventually but I can see it being a Chuck vs Wanderlei type thing where it drags on and on and when it happens it’s lost some of its lustre. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, its perfect case scenario type stuff. That's why i seem them doing as soon as they can if they get the chance. Thing is, if Jones had stuck at 205lb and defended once more we'd probably be salivating over Adesanya/Jones at 205lb now, it would probably be happening now.

It happening at heavyweight just makes if even bigger though, two undefeated 2-division champs over 3 weight classes fighting over the heavyweight title, that's a once in a lifetime thing.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Now that's an interesting one. I was kind of hoping for Aldo Vs Cruz and Dillashaw Vs Faber, as far as old guy fights go, but I'll happily take this. 

Five rounds makes me lean towards Dillashaw taking this, whereas I think I'd favour Aldo over three (he's more powerful, cutting more weight, more miles on the clock etc). However it's a close one and there's no telling how much TJ has been affected by the time off and what he's (possibly) not taking anymore. 

I gotta think this is being booked so that the winner can slip in to fight the winner of Yan Vs Sterling, some time in the summer, right? 

Unless Legohead pops up of course. 

• Paid Members

Apologies. It appears that might be bollocks. This guy is normally spot on and doesn’t report news of fights unless it’s legit. He says it’s shite...

I forgot Holland vs Brunson was that date. I’m actually fine if Aldo vs Dillashaw doesn’t end up happening. Just because I’d hate to see Aldo lose to that nob and in all likelihood that’s the outcome. I can still see it happening though. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Glad to see Burns is still getting the shot and that they haven't moved past him. Fantastic fight that is and it would have been a shame if it didn't happen. 

In other news, I wish they HAD chose to scrap this one:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/1/4/22214315/derrick-lewis-vs-curtis-blaydes-rescheduled-for-feb-20

I can't see anything other than Lewis on his back and looking out of his depth on the ground, when the cage door shuts on these two.