Jump to content

Types of angle you love


tiger_rick
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members

Reminded by recent chatter of my love for certain types of angle.

The "disguise" - Love, love, love. Whether it be Steve Austin as a member of the SWAT team attacking Vince or DDP as La Parka, I just love this. Even when it's obvious. Remember reading in @JNLister's great travelogues about an angle in the USWA where the gorilla mascot suddenly lays someone out and unmasked as a heel. Just love the simplicity of that.

The grizzled vet being taunted back for one more match - Chat about this reminds me what a great job they did with Taz for One night stand. Who didn't want to see him kill Lawler. 

If it's not overused, gotta love the lights going out only to find someone in the ring you didn't expect.

What do you love?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Any time where you have a heel who the fans buy into that turns babyface. 

Nout better than a dastardly heel having that 'Come to Jesus' moment as the light bulb goes off in their head and they swing over to the good side. 

Recently saw the Bossman face turn and whilst it's a bit clunky, the pop from the crowd when they realise is tremendous. 

Right in the feels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Echoing the love for the grizzled vet returning. Just this week I rewatched Steamboat vs. Jericho and it reinforced my love for a return. Can't believe it was 10 years ago either.

I still maintain that the Goldberg return against Brock is the best moment of wrestling from the last 5 years too, and one of my favourite angles of all time. Sometimes, simplicity is best.

A good underdog story with a surprise win is also worth its weight in gold; hurricane and rock and Jericho vs. triple h are prime examples.

Great idea for a thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A big, dumb faction splitting into two warring factions. 

Two warring factions coming together to form one big, dumb faction. 

I love it. I loved the Corporate Ministry, as probably the best example. It's a huge guilty pleasure for me. Their actual on air time is largely forgotten  because it played out in the build up to Over The Edge 1999, but I've been watching the Heats that lead up to it lately and every episode starts with them storming into the arenas led by a large man in a silk nightgown and Triple H in his "I guess I'll go a bit goth" plastic pants. 

Anything with a brooding gothic and/or industrial edge to it in general just works for me, with wrestling, because that side of its aesthetic is what drew me in as a youngster. And we all know, arguments of taste aside, that you cannot shake that shit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Brilliant idea for a thread rick.

I love a well-executed unmasking angle. Not the result of a Mask vs. Mask match where one guy has to reveal his face, I'm talking about when someone attacks a rival whilst dressed as someone else, or reveals themselves to be a culprit. DDP revealing himself to be The Stalker, Ciclope pulling his mask off to reveal that he's Dean Malenko, even when The Undertaker used to come out sometimes in the late nineties disguised as Kane. It's always so much fun. The tension as they pull their mask off, the rush of excitement and big pop as their face is revealed. It's quintessential pro-wrestling. Listen to that pop when DDP pulls that ski mask off. This was gold. It's criminal that this angle turned to shit.

Chris Jericho gets much-deserved flack these days for his ego, gut, saggy tits and infidelity, but he's proven to be the king of this type of angle. He does it loads and it always works. Attacking Naito whilst dressed as a masked fan, smashing up Rey Mysterio after being disguised as a masked kid on the aisle and more recently doing that brilliant angle at All In where he dressed up as Pentagon. Chris has got really good instincts for this type of thing and you can tell he comes up with it himself. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he played a part in coming up with the Dean Malenko angle too.

I think that's why I'm a bit of an MPDTT about that, "All In," show. They had two unmasking angles, first with Flip Gordon and then later with Chris Jericho, and they were both executed perfectly. The Jericho/Omega one in particular is an absolute home run. Like most things in pro-wrestling, it works best when they let the fans feel like they're one or two steps ahead. Let the guy in the mask show a couple of mannerisms that let the fans start to figure it out. Then hit your finisher to leave them no doubts. Then unmask to the big pop. Ideally, the announcers shouldn't say the name until after the mask is pulled off. It might slightly hurt their credibility when it becomes beyond obvious, but that's the beauty of it. Have them pop along with the fans.

I genuinely can't think of many of these angles that somehow didn't work. Even the more recent, forgettable ones that they've done on Raw have been big highlights. Kurt Angle winning a Battle Royal dressed as El Conquistador or Seth Rollins attacking Dean Ambrose dressed as one of his goons in gas masks. It's always awesome.

Edited by Supremo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I genuinely can't think of many of these angles that somehow didn't work. Even the more recent, forgettable ones that they've done on Raw have been big highlights. Kurt Angle winning a Battle Royal dressed as El Conquistador or Seth Rollins attacking Dean Ambrose dressed as one of his goons in gas masks. It's always awesome.

I wondered about this in the 'What are you watching?' thread (and I am assuming this lead to this thread, so any upvotes are actually mine, Rick) after seeing a SNME angle where Honky Tonk Man had been dressed as Kim Chee and attacked Jake the Snake. I can't think of a bad example of it, and I have loved it every time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I wondered about this in the 'What are you watching?' thread (and I am assuming this lead to this thread, so any upvotes are actually mine, Rick) after seeing a SNME angle where Honky Tonk Man had been dressed as Kim Chee and attacked Jake the Snake. I can't think of a bad example of it, and I have loved it every time. 

Edge & Christian and then the Hardy Boyz trading the tag belts to each other as Los Conquistadors. 

I love the tag team breaking up when it's done well, the Rockers with the barber shop segment is a prime example. Windham turning on Luger to join the horsemen was a nice example as well. Austin turning on Pillman. The reverse when heel Luger was teaming with baby face Sting and pretending to be a baby face was also entertaining. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I love a, "Let Them Fight! Let Them Fight!" angle where guys have a mad, wild brawl, with cops or jobbers trying and failing to break them up. They get separated for a minute, everything calms down, then one of them breaks free, dives towards the other and then bedlam once again ensues. It's completely overdone these days, but this is probably the best example. What a segment!

"Cops and Jobbers," should be Tyler Breeze and Fandago's Team Name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Brilliant idea for a thread rick.

I love a well-executed unmasking angle. Not the result of a Mask vs. Mask match where one guy has to reveal his face, I'm talking about when someone attacks a rival whilst dressed as someone else, or reveals themselves to be a culprit. DDP revealing himself to be The Stalker, Ciclope pulling his mask off to reveal that he's Dean Malenko, even when The Undertaker used to come out sometimes in the late nineties disguised as Kane. It's always so much fun. The tension as they pull their mask off, the rush of excitement and big pop as their face is revealed. It's quintessential pro-wrestling. Listen to that pop when DDP pulls that ski mask off. This was gold. It's criminal that this angle turned to shit.

Chris Jericho gets much-deserved flack these days for his ego, gut, saggy tits and infidelity, but he's proven to be the king of this type of angle. He does it loads and it always works. Attacking Naito whilst dressed as a masked fan, smashing up Rey Mysterio after being disguised as a masked kid on the aisle and more recently doing that brilliant angle at All In where he dressed up as Pentagon. Chris has got really good instincts for this type of thing and you can tell he comes up with it himself. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he played a part in coming up with the Dean Malenko angle too.

I think that's why I'm a bit of an MPDTT about that, "All In," show. They had two unmasking angles, first with Flip Gordon and then later with Chris Jericho, and they were both executed perfectly. The Jericho/Omega one in particular is an absolute home run. Like most things in pro-wrestling, it works best when they let the fans feel like they're one or two steps ahead. Let the guy in the mask show a couple of mannerisms that let the fans start to figure it out. Then hit your finisher to leave them no doubts. Then unmask to the big pop. Ideally, the announcers shouldn't say the name until after the mask is pulled off. It might slightly hurt their credibility when it becomes beyond obvious, but that's the beauty of it. Have them pop along with the fans.

I genuinely can't think of many of these angles that somehow didn't work. Even the more recent, forgettable ones that they've done on Raw have been big highlights. Kurt Angle winning a Battle Royal dressed as El Conquistador or Seth Rollins attacking Dean Ambrose dressed as one of his goons in gas masks. It's always awesome.

I'm now a verb?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I really enjoyed the unveiling of a new character, especially when it’s an unexpected debut with a bit of creativity. It’s obviously a hell of a lot harder to pull off now, but I think my favourite one ever was when Earthquake made his debut during the Dino Bravo skit. 

 

Can't forget the Santino debut. Complete blindside this one. 

 

I like "super team that can't stay together". Mega Powers, Hogan Warrior, Two Man Power Trip... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...