Mams & Dads question

Kaz Hayashi

We moved the stairgate to the kids bedroom doorframe. If she's not yet able to shinny over it, put it a few inches higher on the doorframe and leave a few inches at the bottom.

If your cot allows it, it might also be worth taking a side off. It'll help get her used to a bed when she's at the stage to move into one.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

She’s just turned 2 this week, she’s just scaled her cot during nap time, she opened her bedroom door and I found her trying to hop the stair gate.

I’m fucking shitting it, any advice?

Our daughter did the same, but when she was about 18 months old. I'd just teach her to put the kettle on if I were you, so that if she does get up in the morning then at least she's doing something to help out.

In all seriousness, we did the same as Grecian- stairgate on her bedroom door. It meant we couldn't shut her door, but oh well.

• Paid Members

Nice one all. It’s bloody terrifying to think she can now clamber over her enclosures. The door frame won’t work with the gate unfortunately. I think just raising it a bit will have to do, but not too much, the sneaky shite arse.

Someone else suggested introducing her to a kids bed now too. I can imagine that I’ll be me sleeping nil for the next month.

42600-1-voss.farming-electric-fence-ropeIn all seriousness though have you considered putting a deadbolt at the top of her bedroom door? 

My 18 month old lad has started to do his Ultimate Warrior shaking the top rope impression with the baby gate and the little git managed to pull one side off. Fortunately no injuries but I've wrenched the screws as tight as can be so it won't happen again

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Someone else suggested introducing her to a kids bed now too. I can imagine that I’ll be me sleeping nil for the next month.

Mine were 2 when we turned their cot into a kids bed, just make sure you have a side guard thing so they don't fall out.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Thunderplex said:

Obviously a very curious child.  Can’t suggest any more than already has been, apart from the knowledge that it does get easier.  Honest!

She’s a fucking nightmare plexy and I mean that as someone who loves her unconditionally and wants her to be as adventurous as possible. 

If it’s safe, I’ll never tell her, no or don’t. However, it’s getting soooo much more harder to keep that up. Might have to move in to a Jungle frigging Jim at this rate. She was trying to feed a duck an entire apple today and kept chasing it until the duck gave in.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Mine were 2 when we turned their cot into a kids bed, just make sure you have a side guard thing so they don't fall out.

Aye, we found one with sides that span half the length of the bed. So that’s due to be delivered on Friday. An interesting weekend ahead. (Part of me secretly looking forward to it, most of me dreading the very idea, and all of me gutted that she’s growing up).

• Paid Members

Have you got a cot that you can just turn into a bed? If so I wouldn’t bother with a guard to be honest. They are so low to the floor that even if they do fall out they won’t hurt themselves.

In my experience the guard is a bit of a nuisance, it disturbs then when they roll into it at night and when they are being naughty and getting out of bed (which will happen a lot!) they hurt themselves climbing over it, because getting out of bed at the part with no guard is no fun! 

• Paid Members

My youngest was the same.

We changed her to a bed and took down all the babygates, and made sure she was comfortable on stairs.

Horrible feeling knowing they're now so mobile, but the fall from a baby gate was a sobering thought indeed.

Our son was the same around 2 years old so we put him into a normal kids bed and got rid of the stargate on his bedroom door. He had been fine with stairs for a while so had no stargates on the stairs. When he woke up he'd just come into our room and wake us up or play with his toys. Id recommend putting some kind of latch or lock on the front door before you go to bed though just to give you peace of mind incase they do decide to go downstairs before waking you in the morning.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Van Dammer said:

Our son was the same around 2 years old so we put him into a normal kids bed and got rid of the stargate on his bedroom door.

That you allowed him anywhere near ancient Egyptian alien parasites at all is terrible parenting

Archived