WWE Desire

FLips

• Paid Members

They're cheesy, they're self-indulgent, but they're still one of my favourite things about that whole time in wrestling. So here they are in all their glory. I'm sure it's all of them.

They started them I believe not long after Survivor Series 2001 when WWF beat The Alliance, or maybe just before, as a means to hype fans up for Team WWF. They slowly played right through into 2002 up until the Lonely Road of Faith one that Ric Flair showed to try and convince Vince McMahon not to bring the NWO in, and culminated in the NWO version of the same video and a massively disappointing run.

Undertaker

WWE - My Sacrifice

WWE - Lonely Road of Faith

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Triple H

The Rock

Jeff Hardy

Kurt Angle

Chris Jericho

Lita

Edge

Shane McMahon

NWO Lonely Road of Faith

• Paid Members

Yeah, definitely some of the best video packages they've ever done. So good that I'd watch them every time they were on. The Lonely Road of Faith one is the best package they've ever done bar none. It's note perfect.

There are some great custom ones too. The Becky Lynch one Supremo posted the other day is amazing. There's a WCW one too that's absolutely brilliant.

They made everyone involved feel like a really massive deal. We need more stuff like this. It's always done it for me. Right back to stuff like Hogan's "retirement" in 1990, the Lex Express, the one after Savage left, the Bret Hart fire one, HBK's lost his smile. Something they've always done superbly and under-utilise.

• Paid Members

They did a cracking one for Foley in 2003 when they presented him with the Hardcore Belt too

If I didn't forget every bit of video editing I learned in Uni I'd try and make a few custom ones of these, but alas. 

• Paid Members

The Jeff Hardy one sticks out for me as I was an impressionable teenangster at the time, and his Desire video introduced me to Our Lady Peace, a band who I really took a shining to way back then. Fast forward to ten years later and I finally saw OLP live and those feelings came flooding back. 

That Creed 'My Sacrifice' video was a belter (despite it being Creed) and it became the unofficial theme of WWE for a while. I remember being at a Smackdown house show in 2003 (still the best WWE show I've ever been to) and they played 'My Sacrifice', sans video, right before starting the show. Crowd went absolutely bonkers, proper goosebumps.

• Awards Moderator

The ‘My Sacrifice’ one they played at Survivor Series 2001 is a stunner, but nothing has ever topped ‘Lonely Road Of Faith’ which I’d still consider a contender for the best thing they’ve ever done. If that video doesn’t give you the tingles I don’t think you can be a wrestling fan.

What’s doubly good about it isn’t that they didn’t do the usual WWE thing of excluding whoever’s in the bad books at that time. Bruno, Bret, Savage, even Jarrett all make it in there. It also feels like a culmination of the WWF’s story, going from local promotion to national phenomenon, to almost being brought down by a rival, to rallying and defeating that rival, ending at the very top of the mountain. 

Makes me wonder how you could update it to include the last 16 years. ‘Continuing to sit steady at the top of the mountain’ isn’t the greatest narrative arc to mine for emotion. The rises of Cena, Orton, Lesnar and Batista would probably have to form the crux, punctuated with the big moments like Eddie’s title win, Edge cashing in the first time, Flair retiring, the Streak ending and Bryan at Mania XXX. Probably a Women’s Revolution bit towards the end as well, and the various ‘welcome back’s from the HOF. I want it, but also kind of don’t.

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

the Bret Hart fire one

I knew wrestling wasn't on the up-and-up when this won the "Best Music Video" Slammy over Sunny's gratuitous bikini montage.

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Yeah, definitely some of the best video packages they've ever done. So good that I'd watch them every time they were on. The Lonely Road of Faith one is the best package they've ever done bar none. It's note perfect.

There are some great custom ones too. The Becky Lynch one Supremo posted the other day is amazing. There's a WCW one too that's absolutely brilliant.

They made everyone involved feel like a really massive deal. We need more stuff like this. It's always done it for me. Right back to stuff like Hogan's "retirement" in 1990, the Lex Express, the one after Savage left, the Bret Hart fire one, HBK's lost his smile. Something they've always done superbly and under-utilise.

I don't remember them doing a video for Savage after he left, which one was that? The first tribute video they did for him to Pomp and Circumstance after he died was great.

Similarly, I always thought the Captain Lou tribute was great, starting up with the NRBQ song.

Also, You Start the Fire was a good video for Bret, but I liked Makin' Some Noise for him at the last Saturday Night's Main Event in '92.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, returner82 said:

I don't remember them doing a video for Savage after he left, which one was that? The first tribute video they did for him to Pomp and Circumstance after he died was great.

Ignore me. For some reason, I'd combined that with the Vince farewell in my mind.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, returner82 said:

I don't remember them doing a video for Savage after he left, which one was that? The first tribute video they did for him to Pomp and Circumstance after he died was great.' 

I really liked the one they made to The Scientist despite hating fucking Coldplay most of the time.

10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Makes me wonder how you could update it to include the last 16 years. ‘Continuing to sit steady at the top of the mountain’ isn’t the greatest narrative arc to mine for emotion. The rises of Cena, Orton, Lesnar and Batista would probably have to form the crux, punctuated with the big moments like Eddie’s title win, Edge cashing in the first time, Flair retiring, the Streak ending and Bryan at Mania XXX. Probably a Women’s Revolution bit towards the end as well, and the various ‘welcome back’s from the HOF. I want it, but also kind of don’t.

Throw in Goldberg beating Lesnar at Survivor Series too and your not a million miles away.

I posted this in the 'best videos produced thread' recently but loved the Hulk Hogan one they did in the run up to Mania.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, air_raid said:

I really liked the one they made to The Scientist despite hating fucking Coldplay most of the time.

I remember Kurt Angle's "I'm coming back" video silencing the room at my house when it was first aired, it was such a step away from the Creed and OLP ones.

Archived