Would Ya Dare Shop At Netto?

FLips

• Paid Members

I've eaten half a bag of "Cool" Snackrite Tortilla Chips there from Aldi and they're another knockoff product I think I'd pick over the real thing.

There are so many cheaper alternatives that are just as good or better but when I was a kid you'd get absolutely pelted for shopping at Aldi or Netto. Netto especially.

If it was around today it'd make a fortune.

We did Aldi when I was a kid and their Lasagne was the dog's bollocks, as were these little oblong shaped yogurts with fruit at the bottom.

Jives are a poor man's Twix but I'd choose them all day long. Crumblier biscuit, smoother caramel.

Kids these days have it easy being able to shop there without becoming a pariah. What's the shop everyone even picks on these days?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The magnum knock offs in Lidl are £1.79 for a pack of SIX! And they are better than the real deal. The only thing with Lidl is there's absolutely no guarantee they'll have what you want. My local one was out of beans for 3 weeks. 

• Paid Members

If Aldi or Lidl did home delivery, we'd shop there pretty much exclusively. But yeah, back in the day, if you saw someone at school with a Netto bag, that kid was getting it. Even knowing full well my own mum was shopping at Netto and KwikSave on the regular.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Rumour was that it was easier to get served underage in Netto. Was it fuck. 

That sort of thing isn't decided by the chain, it's the individual server. You had to pick the cashier most likely not to give a shit/be intimidated by a gang of youths. Delete as applicable. 

• Paid Members

That's what I was thinking. Ok, Asda's reputation is a bit different to what it was in the 90s, but it was never a '4p for a can of baked beans' either.

I remember before there was Netto we had Ed. Even cheaper if I recall, a French chain. They sold ridiculous amounts of European bubblegum for next to nothing. You'd get the shit kicked out of you if you were seen in there, but everyone wanted to get cheap sweets from there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Jives are a poor man's Twix but I'd choose them all day long. Crumblier biscuit, smoother caramel.

I'm now at the stage where I reckon Jives are better than Twixes. Lidl's version isn't anything special.

Aldi have (possibly just phased out) beef and red wine flavored crisps which are gorgeous, and their Monster Claws are a credible challenger to Monster Munch.

• Paid Members

I back up the Monster Claws. Teddy Faces are a tastier, crunchier Pom Bears too.

Some of Aldi's ciders and ales ate great too. They do one called Medusa which is lovely, and their knockoff Kopparberg is just as good too.

Archived