Jump to content

Vampiro, Striker... true professionals


IANdrewDiceClay

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
31 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I think at one point he says they were private jetting him all over Mexico and he was wrestling 6x a day or something not dissimilar. 

While six times a day is a bit much, that's probably not a million miles from the truth, though. Vampiro was huge in Mexico in the '90s, and would have routinely worked multiple shows in one day. 

Checking Cagematch, 22/8/93 saw him work a trios match in Mexico City for CMLL and a title match against Bradshaw in Monterrey for FILL, which is a good 10 hour drive between shows - so I definitely wouldn't rule out the prospect of him getting the private jet treatment there. 

What I find fascinating is that Vampiro is clearly full of shit, but a lot of the stuff that on the surface sounds like the most childish, obvious bullshit tends to be true - he was a huge star in Mexico, he did date supermodels, actresses and pop stars, he was offered roles in telenovelas and movies, he did star in a movie, he did guest on a bunch of albums, he is a Guardian Angel, and he was a bodyguard for Milli Vanilli. But then he'll just litter his interviews with completely needless bullshit on top of all that.

Then, of course, there's his most recent shoot interview where he talks about having been followed by two vengeful spirits ever since he took part in some occult ritual or other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Then, of course, there's his most recent shoot interview where he talks about having been followed by two vengeful spirits ever since he took part in some occult ritual or other.

To be fair, when you consider how religious other wrestlers can be, it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination that, given how long he's been in Mexico, he might have bought into that whole Santería deal. It's so ingrained in Mexican folklore, it's even present in lucha, so he'll have probably come into contact with it on a few occasions at least.

EDIT: Also, knowing wrestlers' other proclivities, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it involved smoking copious quantities of peyote and salvia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
28 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

 

What I find fascinating is that Vampiro is clearly full of shit, but a lot of the stuff that on the surface sounds like the most childish, obvious bullshit tends to be true - he was a huge star in Mexico, he did date supermodels, actresses and pop stars, he was offered roles in telenovelas and movies, he did star in a movie, he did guest on a bunch of albums, he is a Guardian Angel, and he was a bodyguard for Milli Vanilli. But then he'll just litter his interviews with completely needless bullshit on top of all that.

Then, of course, there's his most recent shoot interview where he talks about having been followed by two vengeful spirits ever since he took part in some occult ritual or other.

That's what I love about the whole thing. The guy clearly has an incredible story to tell, but why he needs to add a load of made up shit is anyone's guess.

What a guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

To be fair, when you consider how religious other wrestlers can be, it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination that, given how long he's been in Mexico, he might have¬†bought into tÔĽŅhat whole Santer√≠a deal. It's so ingrained in Mexican folklore, it's even present in lucha, so he'll have probably come into contact with it on a few occasions at least.

Yeah, part of me thinks that Vampiro fully believes that he is stalked by spirits. As well as the Santeria aspect, he's really into the occult and paranormal (he's done TV shows and documentaries on this sort of thing in Mexico), and is really into cults and secret societies and whatnot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Is it substantiated though?? 

Some of the timeline just doesn't stack

e.g. Bodyguard for Milli Vanilli in 1988?? He'd have been 19/20 so don't buy it? 

 

Being around Milli Vanilli doesn't sound like something to brag about. I know they were popular but does anybody still listen to their music?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
10 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Being around Milli Vanilli doesn't sound like something to brag about. I know they were popular but does anybody still listen to their music?

Nobody still listens to their music. Nobody ever did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Is it substantiated though?? 

Some of the timeline just doesn't stack

e.g. Bodyguard for Milli Vanilli in 1988?? He'd have been 19/20 so don't buy it? 

 

I think he claims to have been wrestling alongside Abdullah the Butcher in Canada in the early eighties, presumably when he was twelve.

 

Vampiro is like Eddie Bravo on the Joe Rogan podcast - you can say any bullshit but as long as it's said with conviction and you believe it then it must be true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

He debuted in '84, for a promotion that had Abdullah The Butcher as one of its top heels. It's not unthinkable that they'd have worked together. 

For looking, he debuted when he was 16 in 1984, so it's definitely possible. I'm just surprised he hasn't claimed to have records of him and Abby selling out together on top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

The show was a shambles, but a brilliantly entertaining one. It's not a good look when you're trying to sell your brand internationally and the best you can come up with is "so bad it's good"; compare it to the success of NJPW expanding into English-speaking markets, and it's apples and oranges. But AAA have been a clusterfuck behind the scenes for years.

As a show, though, the women's title match was superb, the hardcore match was insane fun if you like that kind of thing, and I really loved the main event and Mega Title match - as much stick as Jarrett gets for his role in AAA, him playing full-blown Memphis heel and Fargo strutting all over the place while Brian Cage and Rich Swann try to have an indie-tastic movefest was one of my highlights of the night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2018 at 5:44 PM, Wideload90 said:

Has there ever been a wrestler as shit as vampiro? Full of ego and arrogance. I'm sure people on here will come out and justify his place but I cannot recall a decent match of his. 

There's loads, but his issue is an absolutely fantastic name and look along with the hype from yer man Barnett in the 90's with stories of his Hogan like drawing ability in Mexico and brawling expertise that essentially turned out to be a guy who's no better than Glacier or somebody of that ilk. Plus, years of delusional shoots haven't helped. It's like Gangrel consistently getting sub main events at Korakuen and Tokyo Dome because people thought he was right handsome and liked his kecks.

Never really had a match worth searching out to be honest, apart from maybe some of the fun Wrestling Society X stuff where people are being tombstoned into exploding coffins and some of the stuff on Bob Barnett's Looneys series like a particular Pirata Morgan brawl. He's an odd one but if pure drawing power is justification for a position on a roster then he definitely deserved it in early 90's Mexico. Either way, i'm a big fan. Always have been.

 

EDIT and re the Abdullah/Canada stuff, he was working Montreal in 1984 under a few names, and claims Abdullah trained him so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Whether he was security of the first world for Milli Vanilli I don't think we'll ever know, but bless him for running with it all these years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...