Top Wrestling Twitter

Devon Malcolm

7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

You think people criticise a company that may have covered up a rape, fostered a culture of drug and steroid abuse that led to a double-murder/suicide, allegedly helped a murderer escape justice via racism, and signed a deal with one of the most abhorrent regimes on the planet to be "cool"?

Furthermore, you think that just because some big companies have objectionable affiliations, that means all of them do, and therefore it's justification enough to absolve WWE?

What's ur take?

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sure, it's no CZW shit, but I expect better from an ROH match. Maybe my expectations are too high in that case.

it's 2019 ROH, you should be thankful there was anything memorable at all on it.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

it's 2019 ROH, you should be thankful there was anything memorable at all on it.

Touche. Once some of the contracts on Marty and others run out, I can see a lot trying to move to AEW and making it even less of a thing then it is now.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

If I could upvote this a million times, I would.

Also, that spot is nothing new. It's been done in practically every notable indy since the early 2010's. Even ROH has done a lot worse before, like Super Dragon stomping Whitmer's head through a chair or the continued booking of Beer City Bruiser, for example.

Edited by Accident Prone

Bruiser's better than Silas, which is who he was tagging with last time I paid attention. Silas should be awesome with his look and the "last real man" gimmick should be a total heat magnet but he just wrestles just like Athletic ROH Guy #6424 with bullshit crowd-appeasing headstands. Probably the absolute worst wrestler in terms of knowing his character and how that character should wrestle. Beer was just a fat arse brawler who can fly. No hate here, in fact give him another Hirooki Goto match.

Edited by sj5522

10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

You think people criticise a company that may have covered up a rape, fostered a culture of drug and steroid abuse that led to a double-murder/suicide, allegedly helped a murderer escape justice via racism, and signed a deal with one of the most abhorrent regimes on the planet to be "cool"?

Furthermore, you think that just because some big companies have objectionable affiliations, that means all of them do, and therefore it's justification enough to absolve WWE?

Did I say anything 'absolved' WWE? No. You're writing your own narrative there.

...and yes, I do think there is an element of 'this will get me internet points' etc by openly criticising the biggest corporate entity in wrestling. It's always the 'cool' thing to do to bash the establishment. WWE, as you have listed, has done some abhorrent things, yet we still give it the time of day. Why? Because ultimately, people only care about all the shitty things it's done when it suits them. Its not like any of this stuff is new and we all thought WWE were a wonderful, morally wholesome company up until 6 months ago - yet because they entertained us in whatever manner we conveniently dismiss it or make an excuse to justify our watching/support of it. Now it's in the doldrums the outrage of their business practices has come to the fore - the 'kicking them while they are down' mentality - yet the second they start producing compelling television again I guarantee that people will suddenly park their indignation and disgust and conveniently 'forget' their previous objections or go 'well I still think they're scummy BUT...'.

It's the 'WWE is terrible - they support a disgusting regime in Saudi Arabia and covered up rape! I will never watch them again! Hey, wasn't NXT great this week!' mentality. 

'AEW is great! They are inclusive, they promote diversity and acceptance'. No, they're the new thing to like and because we are all so pissed off and disillusioned with WWE we are prepared to overlook any affiliation AEW management may have with the Saudi Royal family and park any moral objections we may have with that because The Young Bucks do loads of flippy stuff and Kenny Omega is awesome!

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Did I say anything 'absolved' WWE? No. You're writing your own narrative there.

...and yes, I do think there is an element of 'this will get me internet points' etc by openly criticising the biggest corporate entity in wrestling. It's always the 'cool' thing to do to bash the establishment. WWE, as you have listed, has done some abhorrent things, yet we still give it the time of day. Why? Because ultimately, people only care about all the shitty things it's done when it suits them. Its not like any of this stuff is new and we all thought WWE were a wonderful, morally wholesome company up until 6 months ago - yet because they entertained us in whatever manner we conveniently dismiss it or make an excuse to justify our watching/support of it. Now it's in the doldrums the outrage of their business practices has come to the fore - the 'kicking them while they are down' mentality - yet the second they start producing compelling television again I guarantee that people will suddenly park their indignation and disgust and conveniently 'forget' their previous objections or go 'well I still think they're scummy BUT...'.

It's the 'WWE is terrible - they support a disgusting regime in Saudi Arabia and covered up rape! I will never watch them again! Hey, wasn't NXT great this week!' mentality. 

'AEW is great! They are inclusive, they promote diversity and acceptance'. No, they're the new thing to like and because we are all so pissed of and disillusioned with WWE we are prepared to overlook any affiliation AEW management may have with the Saudi Royal family and park any moral objections we may have with that because The Young Bucks do loads of flippy stuff and Kenny Omega is awesome!

You don't have to say anything directly outright to imply something, and I'm fairly sure you know that. If you have a problem with how I've interpreted your post, clarify. You've worded it in a way that implies that you think people should just shut up about WWE because other companies have objectionable links. You can respond by filling in the blanks, so that we understand what it is you think people should be doing. 

Who, on this forum, do you think is criticising WWE to be "cool"? I don't watch them any more and will never, ever watch them again unless they make some serious amends that I very much doubt they will ever do. Many others on here have cancelled their subscriptions, and also share online various materials regarding their behaviour so that the wider world get to know about it. These have been predominantly the people on here who've been criticising WWE. Additionally, we all may have taken a while to finally fuck WWE off as customers, but the fact is we got there eventually, which is better than not at all, so please do tell the room how their criticism is invalid because they didn't start before your arbitrary deadline. 

As to AEW, I've only heard about them buying a hotel from the Saudis, rather than doing propaganda for them in a multi-million ten-year deal. I haven't heard anything about them potentially covering up a rape or getting a murderer off either. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Bruiser's better than Silas, which is who he was tagging with last time I paid attention. Silas should be awesome with his look and the "last real man" gimmick should be a total heat magnet but he just wrestles just like Athletic ROH Guy #6424 with bullshit crowd-appeasing headstands. Probably the absolute worst wrestler in terms of knowing his character and how that character should wrestle. Beer was just a fat arse brawler who can fly. No hate here, in fact give him another Hirooki Goto match.

No thanks. BCB is one of the many reasons why I don't give ROH the time of day. Silas too, of course, as well as half of the roster being made up of dross and other half being great wrestlers being utilized badly. The recent 'Best In The World' show is gaining infamy for being a card loaded with great talent, but positioned in such a way that it looked piss-poor.

I do know they've essentially killed Dalton Castle. I knew they were booking him poorly and his popularity was dwindling because of it, now it seems like he took a bunch of knocks last year that he tried to work through and is just kind of fucked now. When I got back into wrestling in 2014/15 and gave ROH a glance, he was my guy. I could've easily seen him getting over big in NXT, then Velveteen turned up with a similar gimmick. Very sad. The likes of Cobb and Gresham should see that and run away as soon as possible

Speaking of Cobb he was on Talk Is Jericho last week and spoke about his WWE tryout.

They stuck him in the indie section instead of the athlete section(he’d been doing indies for a couple of months by then even though he was an Olympian)

No Way Jose got signed over him.

Seems like a really cool chilled guy.

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

You don't have to say anything directly outright to imply something, and I'm fairly sure you know that. If you have a problem with how I've interpreted your post, clarify. You've worded it in a way that implies that you think people should just shut up about WWE because other companies have objectionable links. You can respond by filling in the blanks, so that we understand what it is you think people should be doing. 

Who, on this forum, do you think is criticising WWE to be "cool"? I don't watch them any more and will never, ever watch them again unless they make some serious amends that I very much doubt they will ever do. Many others on here have cancelled their subscriptions, and also share online various materials regarding their behaviour so that the wider world get to know about it. These have been predominantly the people on here who've been criticising WWE. Additionally, we all may have taken a while to finally fuck WWE off as customers, but the fact is we got there eventually, which is better than not at all, so please do tell the room how their criticism is invalid because they didn't start before your arbitrary deadline. 

As to AEW, I've only heard about them buying a hotel from the Saudis, rather than doing propaganda for them in a multi-million ten-year deal. I haven't heard anything about them potentially covering up a rape or getting a murderer off either. 

I can't really clarify what I didn't say. Nowhere did I say or imply that any large company having shady dealings with external sources absolves or diminishes WWE's practices. You said that I said, or implied, that. I also never said that anyone on this forum is criticising WWE to be cool - that is you creating your own narrative again. I was infact referring to the likes of David Starr on Twitter. Now, I'm sure, were I so inclined to do so [which I'm not especially] find people on this forum who have made a big fuss of cancelling their network subscriptions etc who still comment on/follow WWE - which I personally have no issue with other than the hypocrisy of it, which is hardly the worst thing in the world as I referenced in my previous post - we're wrestling fans, we are all moral hypocrites as long as the product we are into at the time entertains us. Hell, even you haven't completely written off watching WWE again.

I didn't supply any arbitrary deadline to anything in fairness, it was a random date that could have been any time and I'm fairly sure you know that. 

Obviously people have their own 'that's it' moment in regards to these things and that's different for everyone - clearly you were fine with them potentially covering up a murder, for instance, as unless you stopped watching in 1984 [or whenever the Snuka thing I assume you are referring to occurred] you have admitted you were a fan of them after that happened. 

Again - we justify what we justify. Cool.

3 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Speaking of Cobb he was on Talk Is Jericho last week and spoke about his WWE tryout.

They stuck him in the indie section instead of the athlete section(he’d been doing indies for a couple of months by then even though he was an Olympian)

No Way Jose got signed over him.

Seems like a really cool chilled guy.

He does, I had a whinge on twitter that I thought somebody fresher should've won PWG's BOLA last year. one of his fans who was searching his name took issue and went and tagged him like a complete cunt. I was surprised when I logged on and seen he'd said something along the lines of "let them have their opinion". Most wrestlers would probably just have blocked me

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I can't really clarify what I didn't say. Nowhere did I say or imply that any large company having shady dealings with external sources absolves or diminishes WWE's practices. You said that I said, or implied, that.

That you mentioned the practices of other companies when discussing current criticism of WWE at all implies, whether you intended it or not, that that criticism is invalid.

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I also never said that anyone on this forum is criticising WWE to be cool - that is you creating your own narrative again. I was infact referring to the likes of David Starr on Twitter. Now, I'm sure, were I so inclined to do so [which I'm not especially] find people on this forum who have made a big fuss of cancelling their network subscriptions etc who still comment on/follow WWE - which I personally have no issue with other than the hypocrisy of it, which is hardly the worst thing in the world as I referenced in my previous post - we're wrestling fans, we are all moral hypocrites as long as the product we are into at the time entertains us. Hell, even you haven't completely written off watching WWE again.

I didn't supply any arbitrary deadline to anything in fairness, it was a random date that could have been any time and I'm fairly sure you know that. 

Obviously people have their own 'that's it' moment in regards to these things and that's different for everyone - clearly you were fine with them potentially covering up a murder, for instance, as unless you stopped watching in 1984 [or whenever the Snuka thing I assume you are referring to occurred] you have admitted you were a fan of them after that happened. 

Again - we justify what we justify. Cool.

You said "people" are doing it to be cool, implying, again whether you intended it or not, that more than just David Starr were criticising WWE just to be cool. It's not unreasonable to think you were also referring to people on here. Glad to clarify you just meant him.

BTW it doesn't make me a hypocrite to only watch WWE again if they've made serious, and I mean serious, amends - a bit like how I'll only stop considering the Catholic church to be a corrupt and destructive institution only when they sell off all the gold and expensive trappings of the Vatican and their cathedrals, and use it to help the poor en masse. Ain't gonna happen, at least not in my lifetime. But I'll take the accusation of hypocrisy that I didn't stop back in the early 2000s like I should have. The Snuka thing, and much of the other wrestling sleaze that's widely known, I only found out about when I came to the IWC in the early 2000s, and because so much of it was ambiguous, it was one of those things I thought I could just ignore, but yeah - should've stopped watching when I realised how much truth there was to it.

I'll admit I went a bit overboard with the "deadline" thing, but it was to show up the ridiculousness of lambasting people for taking their time to finally cancel their subscriptions or truly criticise WWE after years of fandom.

Honest question: what are you exactly saying people should be saying or doing as regards their wrestling viewing and fandom, if they are angry because of the Saudi deal and Ashley Massaro's alleged rape? Because this is why I'm responding to you: your post implies that any grown adult who has watched wrestling after having found out about WWE's shady past should shut up and not say anything.