Happy birthday Slapnut

Onyx2

Fucking hell, you’re all a bunch of lovely lads aren’t you? This has genuinely made me well up a bit, what a twat.

It’s been a shit day but I’m alive, I’ve got my health and I’ve got a roof over my head, so who am I to complain?

Thanks!

• Awards Moderator
36 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Thanks!

/hijacks thread

I'm heading to Cardiff next week and I've never been before*. What's a must-see for a tourist (with an 8 year old in tow) ?

*I went once for a work trip. The Daily Post offices are opposite the train station so I can't really say I've "seen" Cardiff.

@Onyx2 I actually work in that building now, if we’re thinking of the same one!

Cardiff Castle is probably an obvious one, but it’s definitely worth a look if you’ve got the time. They do entertaining ghost tours if you’re interested in that sort of thing and/or your 8 year old is brave.

In terms of food, give Cardiff Market a go. Plenty to choose from and all really nice as well. They’ve just opened a stone oven pizza place upstairs which I’m yet to try, but looks absolutely phenomenal. There’s also a street food festival taking place in or around Sophia Gardens for the next month or so, but only on certain days I believe.

I’m not sure how much, if any, drinking you’re going to be doing, but some of my favourite pubs are around Westgate Street and Womanby Street. Tiny Rebel is a really nice craft brewery - their Cwtch is one of my favourite beers. Queens Vaults is just up the road which is also a favourite of mine.

The Bay is lovely, even for just a stroll around. 

It’s a bit of a monstrosity directly outside Cardiff Central at the moment because they’re building the new BBC offices, but if you head towards The Hayes or St Mary Street, you’ll be able to find pretty much anything from there.

Is there anything in particular you’d like to do while there?

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Slapnut said:

Is there anything in particular you’d like to do while there?

We'd already planned to check out the Castle so that's good. We also saw a "Cardiff Bay spy mission treasure trail" which seemed like a good way to explore the bay with a bit of purpose.

We were also interested in going to Techniquest and the Millennium Centre. Cheers for the market recommendation - is it open every day?

Oh I actually wrote about that spy treasure hunt for the newsletter in work, looks quite good actually!

I think the market is open every day bar Sundays.

Definitely explore the little arcades too, there are some hidden gems in most them. Madame Fromage in Castle Arcade is a lovely cafe with nice cheeses and cured meats. And then you’ve got Spillers Records in one of them, which is the oldest record store in the world.

Archived