Memorabilia that never existed but you really wanted

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Inspired by this post by @John Matrix (hope he’s doing okay by the way John!)

EDIT: For some reason I can't take my post out of the Quote box. So John's post is just below, and then the quoted bit underneath that is my bit which is actually not quoted from anywhere.

While my son is in hospital recovering from hip surgery, i'm sat here on the ward, unable to sleep and turned to the thing I always do in times of crisis, the 1985 smash hit, Commando. Only it turns out getting high res images from early 80's action movies is nigh on impossible, so, making the most out of what I could find, I figured what piece of memorabilia that never existed would I love to get my hands on...

Commando_Annual.jpg

What pieces of merchandise and memorabilia would you have loved to own from your favourite shows, films, bands, games etc but that nobody in a marketing department ever thought was worth doing?

I’d have loved for a real life version of the Cones Of Dunshire board game from Parks & Recreation.

latest?cb=20140914173941

I’m sure someone online has done a version, but an official one with rules done by the people who wrote the show would have been amazing/ridiculous. Either way I’d have bought it.

A playable board game of Jumanji would have gone down very well too. Back when it came out we never found it anywhere, so as far as I’m concerned it didn’t exist.

• Paid Members

Not to trigger a million wrestling replies but as a kid I wished that there was a Hasbro for every wrestler on the rosters for 90-92 so I could do all the matches I wanted. An Anvil in his Harts outfit for a start, Barbar, Power & Glory, managers.

• Paid Members

A Lament Configuration Box puzzle cube. There are people who a good job customising Rubik's Cubes, but an actual puzzle box would've been cool. Without the flesh-ripping chains, of course - that would've been too expensive.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A Lament Configuration Box puzzle cube. There are people who a good job customising Rubik's Cubes, but an actual puzzle box would've been cool. Without the flesh-ripping chains, of course - that would've been too expensive.

A cursory google reveals loads of these. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

A cursory google reveals loads of these. 

I'm not seeing any. I've seen plenty of working props, that move like in the movie, but they're not actual puzzles.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The first two are just more of what I mentioned before, the customised Rubik's Cubes, but that third one's intriguing. 

EDIT: Just checked that third link all the way through, and the only moving ones aren't puzzles, they're just working props. Thanks for trying, though.

• Paid Members

So many toylines! In a decade when even Rambo and Robocop were made into kids cartoons with action figures, all I wanted was some Raggy Dolls and Telly Bugs toys. Or Back To The Future (I had some Micro Machines from BTTF2 and a toy car but no action figures). No Indiana Jones (other then a few Kenner toys from Raiders). I always wanted Inspector Gadget toys which I understand they did some in the mid 90's, well past its prime though 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I'm not sure what you're actually looking for then. 

Basically a puzzle box where the puzzle stems from the actual design elements on the surfaces - either via movement (which, I appreciate, may not be possible), or via being taken apart, the puzzle being to put it back together.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Basically a puzzle box where the puzzle stems from the actual design elements on the surfaces - either via movement (which, I appreciate, may not be possible), or via being taken apart, the puzzle being to put it back together.

You're never going to get one that works is exactly like the film, mainly due to the fact they used about 8 different boxes, with each fulfilling a different movement(before being edited together. 

I was crazy about Sonic the Hedgehog as a kid, and it frustrated me that for such an insanely popular franchise, there were so many obvious gaps in the merchandise available.

I'd have snapped up cheap plastic models of absolutely anything, but what I really wanted were the Chaos Emeralds. Just a set of seven replicas, dead easy to make. I'm getting angry as I write this.

I saw them as a free gift on the front of a comic not long ago, but they were the wrong shape, and anyway, I don't want today's kids to have them, I wanted kid me to have them.

Archived