• Paid Members

Here’s something random.

I used to skate as a nipper, never been on a board in around 16 years, randomly pissed about in my back yard around 3 years ago chucking out a few tricks and stuff (see pic). However around a month after I fucked my knee playing footy, had surgery, scared to do anything as it still canes. I keep looking at my skateboard now and tell myself “yeah one day”.

This other pic is my wife’s (our) grandad who is now late 90’s and mentioned him in the stupid food eaters thread. This is him with his prosthetic leg on his 90th birthday, on a skateboard.

I don’t fear getting old when I’ve been lucky enough to know a dude like him.

CAC9EB50-6233-4531-B664-1EBFD1DB379A.jpeg

BDB87581-50BA-4C99-A31D-F32BE5282754.jpeg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 8/4/2018 at 5:04 PM, PowerButchi said:

To be fair people just sound fucking miserable rather than old. The world doesn't have to end because you've turned 30. I knock about with men in their 50s and 60s with more joie de vivre than some of you lot

Preach Brother Butchi

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

CAC9EB50-6233-4531-B664-1EBFD1DB379A.jpeg

Have you just ollie'd through a ring of fire on the right? Well skated! 

I'm absolutely fine with hitting the big 3-0 later this year. The only thing that perhaps bothers me about ageing isn't so much my own age, but the age of those closest to me, i.e parents. But for me not much will change when the time comes - if anything I'm quite excited about the next ten years of my existence and what it could potentially bring. I've been in a t'riffic relationship now for nearly seven years and in a brilliant job for the last four. I'm getting the itch to move into a bigger place and even start thinking about the big grown up stuff like marriage, little Nicko's running around the gaff, getting a dog and buying a shed that I can fill with tat that I'll never use, and build a train set in the loft. So while I wouldn't say I'm itching to wave goodbye to my twenties, I'm feeling positive that my thirties will be a nice, natural progression from that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm only 31 years old yet I feel like I'm falling to bits. I have constantly niggling pains: my shoulder,  my collarbone, twice this month I woke up in the morning and the tops of my legs, just under my hips, were in so much pain that it was a literal struggle to get out of bed. I had to old-man shuffle to the kitchen, holding onto the walls and stuff, to make my coffee and sit down. Getting into the shower was a struggle. By the time I'd reached work, the pain had subsided to a dull, but noticeable ache and then eventually was gone by lunchtime. Today I woke up with the same issue, but on just one side. Also often the leg I broke will suddenly cramp up for no reason at all with such severity that I'm screaming in pain and my partner said last night, when it happened, she looked at my cramping leg and it had gone a blueish-brown colour, but she didn't want to worry me right then and there.

Clearly, much of this has to do with being unhealthy overall, but yes, I feel fucking old.

• Paid Members

Is it trendy to wear white socks with jeans now? There's a young lad who's just started at the office and he wears jeans that hang way above his ankles and big, bold, bright white socks.

I don't get it, that would've got you slaughtered when I was school (we called short trousers like that 'scoobs' for whatever fucking juvenile reason) and it would get you destroyed by your mates still today. White socks are for working out and chilling with your feet up. If you want/have to wear a pair of JJB's best, make sure your trousers cover them up.

He'll be wearing sandles with them next, in fact I bet the sandles+white socks combo will be the height of fashion with the youth next year.

• Paid Members

This lad does look like a skater. Not what a skater used to look like back in mmmyyyyy day but for sure what a 2018 skater looks like. Massive baseball cap with the sticker still attached, long sleeved jumper even though it's fucking roasting and a mustache that I could wipe off with a flannel plus the aforementioned white socks/jeans combo. 

Christ, this is the tippy top of being old, isn't it? Moaning about what youth of today are wearing and how ridiculous it looks. I wore some right embarrassing shit back in my goth/alternative days. It's just that my embarrassing shit is less embarrassing than their embarrassing shit.

A friend of mine shared some old photos on Facebook from donkey's years ago. In one of them I am wearing really fucking baggy jeans, to the point that you can't see my massive puffy trainers underneath.

My style of dress has regressed to what I wore when I was 13-16. So I will often be seen wearing a pair of Vans, flannel shirt and jeans. The only real difference is the jeans are straight fit rather than loose fit and they're not stone washed. Also if I don't put any product in my hair I just have curtains.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I need at least three minutes to urinate. Seems to take forever these days. I never thought, when I was in my 20’s, I’d have to push.

But we all have to push a bit, don't we? Otherwise we'd just be merrily walking around town pissing ourselves.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Good luck finding baggy jeans anywhere even if you wanted them...

I always buy slightly baggy, boot cut jeans from Amazon and have done for years. There's something about normal/skinny jeans that unsettles me. I think it's to do with how they make my trainers look like Clown feet. I don't have big feet mind. 

As a teenager, you could quite happily house a family of 4 in the legs of my jeans. They were ridiculous. I'd have to tape them up on the insides as they'd engulf my trainers and just be dragging through puddles and stuff, steadily soaking my legs. 

The icing on the cake is that since I've started skating again, I've been on the look out for merch from back in the day. Last week I was browsing eBay and came across of a pair of Senate Ultrawides from the 90's. Brand new, unworn with tags. I snapped them up for less than £25 with delivery which seems an absolute bargain because they seem to be extinct. Can't see me wearing them but they'll sit nicely with all my other skate memorabilia. 

20180807_160443.jpg

Archived