Worst Turns in Wrestling History

Liam O'Rourke

Demolition were massive faces at WM4, the ultra casual crowd that night cheered them heavily against Zenk and Martel. They waited too long to turn them, they should have binned Fuji shortly after WM and then Fuji brings in the Powers of Pain as his new team to dethrone Demolition. As it was, the timing and the execution were both off and it permanently damaged Demolition, as did the stupid spot at Royal Rumble '89 when they drew #1 and #2 and started fighting each other like fools. 

The Austin heel turn at WM17 is the worst booking decision in wrestling history, and led to the massive downturn in business that still hasn't really been recovered from. People might not have believed wrestling was real but they believed in Austin as a character and him turning heel just turned them off wrestling. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

From a different angle, Eddy Guerrero turning heel on Tajiri could be said to be the worst heel turn ever, because it simply wasn't successful. The crowd just weren't having it, cheering him whenever he appeared. Throughout the entire promo he cut the next show where he apologised for a having a quick temper (having slammed Tajiri into a car windscreen), which you could tell was supposed to be the first step in a gradual turn, they were just cheering and chanting for him. The next week, they aborted the turn and kept him face.

3 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

I wouldnt say It damaged Demolition turning good. They went on to have a great run as until they recruited Crush in the summer of 1990. Thats when Demolition went downhill. 

They had to though didn't they cos Ax couldn't wrestle much at that point.

• Paid Members

Did they turn Demolition in 90 because they knew they had the Road Warriors coming in and they were obviously going to be the babyface team in that feud?

If so, Eadie's health must be the only reason they didn't think to leave the titles on them and then drop them to Hawk and Animal. Not that I'd want to lose the fun Nastys/LOD match from SummerSlam 91.

I don’t really get the hatred towards the RR 89 spot. It’s kind of what the match is all about that it’s every man for himself – and who hasn’t always thought who was the better wrestler out of various tag teams. It was only for 2 minutes until Andre came in so hardly a lot of damage done to the team .

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I like that Rumble opening where Demolition draw 1 & 2 and batter each other. Makes them look like fantastic nutcases.

I liked how in their interview at 90 they each said "I know how hard you can hit." Nice little callback. Way before the days when they rehash the "numbers" video every year drumming everything good that ever happened in Rumbles into my brain, and reminding me how much I used to hate Kofi.

• Paid Members

To be honest. I got a bit of a kick out of Stone Cold's 2001 heel run. It was interesting how they were desperately trying to get the fans to boo him by having him carry out more and more dastardly acts every week.

• Paid Members

Slightly veering off, but that video reminds me of one of the better-executed mid-card storylines they ever did, the Romeo & Juliet with the Dudleys and the Hollys. Rather fun, that.

Just wanted to thank everybody for the contributions - the show looking at the Worst Turns in Wrestling History is now available at the following link:

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/n2pm9r/SCG_Radio_135_-_The_Worst_Turns_in_Wrestling_History.mp3

Join us as we discuss nominations from you, the loyal listeners, we discuss everything from the obvious and glaring candidates, such as Steve Austin at WrestleMania X7, Rikishi doing it for The Rock, Goldberg at GAB 2000 and the disastrous Hogan/Flair double-turn of 1999, to the personal and obscure choice that have plagued your wrestling fandom, including Tatanka joining the Million Dollar Corporation, Dusty Rhodes joining the nWo, Eugene's two week stint as the hateable special needs grappler, Heel Godfather from 2002, Ahmed Johnson joining the Nation before being booted out weeks later, Brother Bruti becoming The Butcher, "Nature Boy" AJ Styles, Michael Cole and so many more. A fun show as always, let us know what you think!

Archived