UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
5 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Any chance of a poll Wand? It’ll be interesting to see where the money is going on those main fights.

Nah for some reason it wouldn't let me add a poll. I think maybe because I didn't add one when I first posted the thread, maybe you can't go back and add one after for some reason? No big deal but it would've been interesting to see how the voting would've gone for the top 3 fights. Especially Bisping vs GSP. 

• Paid Members

Was this an hastily arranged press conference? It didn't seem to get flagged by the usual MMA journalists. I only knew about it due to the UFC app trying to hijack my phone with a stream of the press conference.

I think GSP knows what he is doing. GSP is not only one of the smartest fighters inside of the cage, but he is also one of the sharpest outside of it. I think the whole "fuck you" routine is GSP's way of hyping the fight. It certainly took me aback when he started barking back at Bisping; it was a departure from the GSP we were used to. GSP has been taking Bisping bait in the stare downs as well. He shoved him the other week, and responded when Bisping shoved his finger in his face at the most recent presser.

It's working. I am really looking forward to this one. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Bisping coming off like a grade A twat to be honest.

im a Bisping fan but i'll agree that it feels like he's trying to drum up a feud here which doesn't really exist. There's not a lot to dislike about GSP and Bisping's jibes all feel a little desperate, i understand selling a fight and all that stuff, im a huge fan of hype but this feels like the kind of fight that doesn't really need it.

• Paid Members

Thats how I feel about it. It's an interesting fight in its own right. But I've always felt like it lacks something and doesn't have quite the 'big fight' feel it probably should have, especially being GSP's first fight in 4 years and going up a division. It just doesn't feel as massive as they want it to. To me anyway. Maybe they're feeling that and that's why Bisping's trying to manufacture false beef and GSP's being more aggressive in the build up and stuff. All cynicism aside though, it'll probably work. That seems to be what most people want these days, and they don't seem to care if the bad blood is genuine or not. I've never once felt like these two have any real issue. Bisping even said as much before the promotion for this got rolling, think I even put the quote in the OP. He likes GSP. Knowing that, it kind of takes away from the build up a little bit for me. But it's still fun to watch these pressers and stuff. It's just good to have GSP back in general, to be honest. 

I get why they are doing it. It's a massive fight, but these days you need something to hit all the right platforms to attract interest. A heated exchange will pop up on Twitter timelines and TMZ. This is also Bisping's big pay day. He's been waiting for years to be involved in a fight like this. 

Not that I personally needed convincing on this fight. From the get-go, this has been a fight I have looked forward to. It's a fascinating match-up. 

The problem is, GSP looked a bad actor in a shitty move during the exchange. Bisping yells "don't put your hands on me!" and GSP fires back "don't put your hands on me!", and basically that was the gist of the exchange throughout.

When you take into account the fact that GSP is the most unassuming looking guy on the planet, that Bisping towers over him and looks the bigger man, and that Bisping is the aggressor it just makes him look like a big twat trying to bully a little guy.

• Paid Members

It's quite clearly a bit pro-wrestling, but it usually always is when GSP has a good antagonist. However, hoopla like this definitely helps sell the fight to a wider audience. Getting that on TMZ is exactly what the UFC need and want, seeing as they're on a shocking run of buyrates (100k & 125k) since DC/Jones was such a big hit - Luke Thomas pointed out they've not had such a run of poor buys in over ten years.

Things have changed regarding buys, nowadays unless its really well promoted it won't do big numbers or even decent numbers, same thing has happened in Boxing with Ward's fights etc doing 100,000 buys and he's a P4P Great and he's fighting at a decent size.  You really have to make your event seem must see or at least the casual fans to do it, they apparently had both at an NHL game in Canada, which isn't that big in the US but is the biggest sport in Canada and GSP is a huge Canadian star fighting with a guy who is easy to hate for some.

I think lapsed fans will also be interested in this fight. GSP and Bisping were two of the biggest names from the era prior to this one. Generally,I don't think fans from that era follow MMA as actively as they used to. 

The next two shows are both must-see for me. Bisping vs GSP, Max vs Edgar and Overeem vs Ngannou all hit the spot. 

Archived