UFC 217: Bisping vs St Pierre

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Mickey Gall was in the studio on the MMA Hour this week. Really good interview;

Ariel keep harping on and bringing it back to them having 'beef' gets annoying but aside from that it's really worth a watch. I like Gall a lot. I'm not quite sure how good he actually is but he's got something about him where you want to see him fight and listen to what he has to say. 

Wonder who he calls out if he beats Randy Brown. He says there's nobody in particular jumping out right now but you just know by November he'll have someone's name ready. 

I like that he's angling to open the PPV here as well. Everyday he's hustlin'. He probably won't get it but why not ask, right? 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

UFC 217 press conference with Dana, Bisping, GSP, Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Jedrzejczyk and Namajunas. But mostly Bisping. 

"Yeah, you know, he still looks like a lizard. He looks like a blown up version of himself. Trying to get bigger. He's the biggest Georges St Pierre that we've ever seen, but he's still the smallest guy that I'm ever gonna fight. I was 15-0 at light heavyweight, I'm the world champion at middleweight, he's a blown up welterweight. He's bringing in all these trainers, he's got Freddie Roach down here. Freddie Roach is a great boxing coach, but he doesn't know fuck all about MMA. He couldn't even spell UFC, let alone MMA."

image.jpg

• Paid Members

Aye. I have an awful feeling this could be one and done for dear old George.

Bisping's takedown defence is key, in this. We'll see how 2017 GSP looks, but in his prime, if GSP struggled to get the takedown against a good striker he struggled a bit.

It's such an intriguing match up.

We're all the same size lying down, Michael. If GSP gets your one-eyed arse to the mat then it's game on. Bisping isn't a real power puncher, is he? Apart from catching the criminally overconfident Rockhold his last actual stoppage from strikes was Cung Le, wasn't it?

It's going to be a lot closer than he's letting on, and I think he knows that.

• Paid Members

Oh, easily. Bisping's a shameless promoter, and he'll spout all sorts of keech just to get people interested, whether it's through intrigue as to why he "thinks" he can say these things, or through a sheer desire to see him beaten, like the Australian members of this forum.

• Paid Members

If Bisping's smart, and he's no dummy or slacker when it comes to training, he'll be preparing for the absolute best version of GSP imaginable. Hopefully he's not cockily relying on and getting overconfident about the size advantage and GSP's time away. 

I'm really interested to see how the grappling goes in this fight. Everything we're basing GSP's grappling on is from memories that are over 4 years ago and at welterweight. Who the fuck knows how he'll look after all this time AND at 185? GSP's intelligent and he'll know from training with bigger guys that he can hang. But it's a slightly different thing in the actual fight when the pressure is on and the bright lights are on and the strikes are coming at 100%. I expect GSP to be able to take Bisping down. The thing is though, can he keep him there? Bisping is notoriously difficult to hold down. And his conditioning is off the charts. 

Plus even when we're talking about Bisping not being a big hitter, GSP isn't either. He wasn't at 170 so I can't see it at 185. GSP's most likely way to win is to wrestle Bisping for 25 minutes. But that's never been easy. Sonnen struggled, Rashad struggled. Only Tim Kennedy really made it work and he's considerably bigger than GSP. I'm not sure a welterweight (even if it is the best welterweight of all time) who's been out of action for 4 years can do that for 25 minutes against a bigger fighter who has cardio for days, never stops, has no quit in him and is hard as fuck to hold down. It's a tough fight to come back to. 

18 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

If Bisping's smart, and he's no dummy or slacker when it comes to training, he'll be preparing for the absolute best version of GSP imaginable. Hopefully he's not cockily relying on and getting overconfident about the size advantage and GSP's time away. 

I'm really interested to see how the grappling goes in this fight. Everything we're basing GSP's grappling on is from memories that are over 4 years ago and at welterweight. Who the fuck knows how he'll look after all this time AND at 185? GSP's intelligent and he'll know from training with bigger guys that he can hang. But it's a slightly different thing in the actual fight when the pressure is on and the bright lights are on and the strikes are coming at 100%. I expect GSP to be able to take Bisping down. The thing is though, can he keep him there? Bisping is notoriously difficult to hold down. And his conditioning is off the charts. 

Plus even when we're talking about Bisping not being a big hitter, GSP isn't either. He wasn't at 170 so I can't see it at 185. GSP's most likely way to win is to wrestle Bisping for 25 minutes. But that's never been easy. Sonnen struggled, Rashad struggled. Only Tim Kennedy really made it work and he's considerably bigger than GSP. I'm not sure a welterweight (even if it is the best welterweight of all time) who's been out of action for 4 years can do that for 25 minutes against a bigger fighter who has cardio for days, never stops, has no quit in him and is hard as fuck to hold down. It's a tough fight to come back to. 

Canadian sources suggest that his time away from the octagon was spent under the belief that he was going to return at some point, and that time has been spent packing on the weight he needs for the middleweight division, and working on his striking and wrestling.

I think he wants the two-division champion moniker that seems all the rage nowadays, and as soon as Bisping won the belt he made his moves to get that fight. He probably sees Bisping as the weaker link in the division (as he is, if we're honest), and knows this is his best chance to get that belt before the bigger guys re-emerge and business as usual kicks back in.

It's GSP'S wrestling which should help him, he apparently was taking Rashad Evans down at will back when they both trained at Jackson's so the size shouldn't be that big of difference, he also had a faster & harder take down than Rashad according to ESPN'S Sport Science show but that was about 5 years ago so who knows what it's like now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

Canadian sources suggest that his time away from the octagon was spent under the belief that he was going to return at some point, and that time has been spent packing on the weight he needs for the middleweight division, and working on his striking and wrestling.

I think he wants the two-division champion moniker that seems all the rage nowadays, and as soon as Bisping won the belt he made his moves to get that fight. He probably sees Bisping as the weaker link in the division (as he is, if we're honest), and knows this is his best chance to get that belt before the bigger guys re-emerge and business as usual kicks back in.

Oh it's definitely GSP's best chance at getting the middleweight belt. He's got a better shot at beating Bisping than  any of the other top 185ers. I wouldn't give him a prayer against Whittaker, Rockhold, Romero or Jacare. 

It's a really interesting one against Bisping though. I think Bisping is just beatable enough that I could see GSP pulling it off. But Bisping is good enough and has the edge in size and recent activity that I could see it ending in tears for Georges as well. I can't even picture how the fight is going to look. Usually I've got some idea how I think a fight will go but there's so many questions and variables to this one. 

What do we think happens if GSP loses? Is that him done or does he give 170 another crack? 

36 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Oh it's definitely GSP's best chance at getting the middleweight belt. He's got a better shot at beating Bisping than  any of the other top 185ers. I wouldn't give him a prayer against Whittaker, Rockhold, Romero or Jacare. 

It's a really interesting one against Bisping though. I think Bisping is just beatable enough that I could see GSP pulling it off. But Bisping is good enough and has the edge in size and recent activity that I could see it ending in tears for Georges as well. I can't even picture how the fight is going to look. Usually I've got some idea how I think a fight will go but there's so many questions and variables to this one. 

What do we think happens if GSP loses? Is that him done or does he give 170 another crack? 

Here's a question, do we actually see Bisping stopping GSP? As I said previously, apart from his knockout of a over-confident Rockhold he's not exactly known for blasting opponents out of there, is he? I don't think he's that big of a power puncher by any stretch.

If the fight goes the distance, I can't see GSP's wrestling not being a factor.

Also, if we know one thing about GSP it's that he's not stupid. If he thought for a second that he wasn't the fighter he once was then he'd be nowhere near the UFC today. He's a calculated individual, which makes me think he's either going to win via decision or by submission.

• Paid Members

I can't see him submitting Bisping. I suppose stranger things have happened but I'd say that's pretty unlikely. Bisping's grappling is underrated IMO, and his submission defence is usually tight. Remember Rockhold had Bisping hurt badly with a headkick which allowed him to get that guillotine. Unless GSP can really stun Bisping with something to where his submission defence is impaired, I just can't see him catching Bisping in a submission. 

I agree though, Bisping landing the knockout blow is also unlikely. Fuck knows what's going to happen. 

Archived