UFC 216: Ferguson vs Lee

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I decided to get drunk and go to bed instead of getting up early for this card. 

I'm well up for the main, but nothing else really grabs me. 

This is a fight night card, not a ppv. Anything that will produce lower buys in 2017?

It was an excellent card in the end.

Finish of the DJ vs Borg fight was one of the best submissions in the history of MMA.

Ferguson looked fantastic and I can see him giving Conor some problems if that ever fight comes to fruition.

Even at 40 Fabricio's BJJ skills make him one of the most dangerous fighters in the world, whether he should be next in line for a HW title shot, I'm not sure.

I would like to see Mighty Mouse move up to 135lbs, he could draw big money against the likes of Diaz, Dillashaw and Garbrant. At flyweight he's cleaned out the whole division, the next best guy is Benavidez and Johnson has beaten him twice. He's got the record, there's no point him him extending it against no-name guys when there are money fights to be had.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

I would like to see Mighty Mouse move up to 135lbs, he could draw big money against the likes of Diaz, Dillashaw and Garbrant. At flyweight he's cleaned out the whole division, the next best guy is Benavidez and Johnson has beaten him twice. He's got the record, there's no point him him extending it against no-name guys when there are money fights to be had.

Could Diaz move down to 135? I think that would probably be a cut too far for him, no? And I don't think he'd be bothered enough to make that harsh a cut, just to face Dillashaw, Garbrandt or DJ, who aren't exactly proven huge draws in themselves.

As for DJ - there's a reason he moved down from BW in the first place: 125 is his optimum weight. He sustained the only two losses of his career at 135, one of which was against Cruz, who is still active, and who, like DJ hasn't stood still since then. I'd like to see DJ against those guys, but I don't see why he has to move up. Given that he's proven himself at 125 over and over, and is potentially the P4P best in the world, they should be moving down to face him. Certainly Dillashaw should, if that fight is going to happen at all; he's not that big a deal right now as things stand.

• Paid Members

Diaz at 135? As in Nate? Not a chance of that happening, ever. He looks seriously sucked in at 155 on fight week and walks around at probably 180-185 or something out of camp. Maybe higher than that. Nate probably hasn't weighed 135 since he was about 16 years old. 

It's sad but I don't think DJ draws 'big money' with anyone. He's probably the best fighter in the game right now but unfortunately that doesn't always translate to PPV buys and dollars in the bank. He just doesn't resonate in that way for whatever reason. And unless a 125er contender comes along who can catch on like a McGregor or Rousey did AND work themselves into a title shot against Mouse, the 'big money' fights are probably never going to happen. And him going up in weight isn't changing that. A champ from one weight class vs a champ from another weight class doesn't necessarily = PPV buys or big money. It did with McGregor vs Alvarez last year because McGregor was involved. It did with GSP vs Penn in 2009 because they were both big stars at the time. Mighty Mouse vs Garbrandt or Dillashaw, as great as either fight would be, just isn't in that same galaxy.

• Paid Members

Good luck topping that finish from DJ. It was a mindblowing performance before it, but that video game finish is what great fighters do in those moments.

It was kind of odd seeing the top 3 fights finish with brilliantly worked subs.

I feared the worst for Lee every time he secured a takedown. He did a decent job with the one at the end of the first, but it always felt like Lee was jumping into a lions den with his cock out. Ferguson is just so good as so many things that he's a bastard for anyone. Lee did a good job early doors, like, but Ferguson was quite clearly taking over come the middle of the 2nd. A shame Lee had staph and that, but I doubt it would have saved him from eventually getting caught in Ferguson's incredible submission skills.

Anyway, Ferguson is only one big win away from securing his rightful place in the P4P rankings. FYI, 4 years undefeated in the UFC (10 wins) for Ferguson with a 70% finishing rate; spectacular when you also consider LW is maybe the deepest and best in the UFC.

• Paid Members

Really loved that show. 

Ferguson, as much as I dislike him, is great to watch. He did exactly what you need to be doing in his position. Performed in exciting fashion in the cage, won the interim title and then made the most of his post-fight interview calling out McGregor. 

Credit to Kevin Lee as well. I expected him to lose from the minute this fight was announced and I'm not, and never was, on the 'Kevin Lee is the next huge MMA star' bandwagon. That was silliness based on nothing. But he did better than I thought he'd do and there's probably a bit more potential there than I gave him credit for. Still don't buy him as a future star or champ or anything but he'll probably stick around just under that championship level. 

Really think Ferguson was being sold short going in though. Most of the talk seemed to be about Kevin Lee and his star potential but Ferguson has been the darkhorse in the 155 division for ages. He surpassed and outgrew being a darkhorse a while back and especially after the RDA win. You look at the run he's been on and it's one of the best streaks of anyone currently if you factor in who he's beaten, how he beat them and in such a deep division. I think him vs McGregor is an incredible fight and a hard as fuck one for McGregor. I've said it a few times but for me Ferguson brings many of the same problems that Nate Diaz did. Very difficult fight for Conor. 

Mighty Mouse, once again, was just phenomenal. A complete masterclass from beginning to end. And what a finish! Maybe the most beautifully executed submission I've ever seen in MMA. Fair play to Borg. He tried his heart out. But he wasn't in it. Ever.

I get the calls for him to move up. But for me it's not about him getting the 'big money fights' as I really don't think there are any for him sadly. For me it's simply that fights with Garbrandt or Dillashaw or Cruz are more interesting than anything on the horizon at flyweight. But like Carbomb says above, there's a reason DJ moved down. He was small for bantamweight. It's not like he's a massive 125er. People can't point to that like they did when Jon Jones towered over nearly every 205er. Mighty Mouse IS a flyweight. It's the weight he should be fighting at. That couldn't be more evident in how he performs, could it? I'd like to see him fight some of the top 135ers but at the same time I'll be quite happy to see him stay where he is for longer and set the flyweight bar so high that nobody else will ever reach it. He's broken Anderson's title defence record now. By one. Why not smash it to bits by five? Or seven? Or ten? He's calling for money fights but the way the UFC is, he's not getting millions to fight the guys in his weight range. So if there's no red panty nights why not just concentrate on cementing the legacy even further by continuing to keep destroying opponents and records? 

Werdum was great. Love Werdum. He did what he was supposed to do to that level of opponent but in fairness, while a step down and certainly not a contender, Walt Harris was a risk. He's a big fucker with heavy hands and had nothing really to lose as Werdum was expected to piss right through him. Werdum wasn't fucking about. He won't get a title shot off that though. Not even with the way heavyweight is. I'm guessing the winner of Overeem vs Ngannou might get the next crack at Miocic. And maybe they try again for that Werdum vs Cain rematch or something? 

That Mara Romero Borella couldn't have asked for her debut to go much better. PPV main card and gets the quick sub. Hard to get much of a read on her based on this but it was a nice short and sweet introduction. 

Dariush vs Dunham was a really fun fight to kick off the PPV. Dunham is one of the unsung exciting fighters on the roster. He's usually always good for a rough and gritty scrap. And Dariush is kind of the same and similarly under the radar himself. 

Wasn't nuts about the prelims really. Except for that Lando Vannata vs Bobby Green fight. Fuck me that was tremendous stuff. Green has always been talented but his style can be so frustrating to watch at times. But Lando really brought the best out of him. I think Groovy is just one of those fighters who can't have a bad fight. Every bit of his cage time in the UFC so far he's been the stuff of highlight reels. Brilliant fight and the draw verdict seemed fitting in the end. Hopefully we get a rematch, maybe over 5 rounds. 

Oh and I was happy to see John Moraga get an impressive knockout on the Fight Pass bit as well. Hopefully he can build some momentum now because he's fun to watch. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The German into an armbar was a thing of beauty, I’m not a huge fan of DJ due to him being content at staying at 125 and just fighting lower tier fighters, but now he’s broken the record maybe it’s time to step up? 

That's the thing though, I don't think they are lower tier fighters. I think DJ just makes them look that way. If you took DJ out of the mix I think you'd see the title hot potatoing like a motherfucker like when GSP stepped away from 170. There is some really good talent in the flyweight division. I think that gets overlooked because they're not interesting or engaging personalities or trash talkers. Flyweight isn't as deep as say 155 or 170 or 185 or 145. But I think it's deeper than heavyweight or 205 for sure. Probably about on a par with 135. But unlike 135, flyweight doesn't have any rivalries. If you look past all that and just look at the depth of good fighters in both divisions, I think 125 is just as good if not better than 135. Bantamweight has been saved by rivalries. Cruz vs Faber then the whole Cruz-Dillashaw-Garbrandt triangle we're in the midst of now.

The problem at 125 is that DJ is taking really good fighters like Benavidez, Cejudo, Dodson etc and making them look like chumps. He shouldn't have to move up if he thinks his optimal weight is 125. And if the UFC want him to move up, they should compensate him with more money as he's going out of his optimal fighting weight and has more chance of losing at 135. If they don't want to pay more then fine. But fans going 'he should go up in weight' while also saying 'but he doesn't deserve more money' is bollocks. I don't care if he doesn't draw or 'move the needle'. If he doesn't deserve more money in the fans opinion then cool (although I don't know who decides what a fighter 'deserves'). But fans don't get to tell him he should move up a weight class and take more risk for the same reward either. I hope he makes 20 flyweight title defences. What would people say if he was a heavyweight and dominating like this, with no division to move up to? Would he be expected to turn up at London zoo and offer one of the hippos out for his next fight so he could get a real challenge? 

Archived