UFC 216: Ferguson vs Lee

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

I also don't really care for his constant touting how much money he has. I've seen it said that when someone of colour in the US does that they're derided and considered bad role models and so on, yet when someone like Conor does it it's funny and "just part of the persona."

I'm with you on the money thing. It's played out and boring most of the time, outside the odd funny moment like the original 'break out the red panties' comment. Those are few and far between though. The majority of the 'I'm rich, you're broke' patter is old and repetitive and I don't get why people would find it particularly entertaining. 

But the race thing, I'm sure it's true in some cases and there's double standards fuelled by racism. But if we're talking about Mayweather, and I'm assuming we are considering he's the one who bleats on the most about how much he makes and even has 'Money' as his nickname. I think for most they dislike Mayweather because he's a cunt. The fact he's black is irrelevant. Cunts come in various colours.

As for the avoiding wrestlers thing, there's probably some truth to it from the UFC trying to protect him side. I can agree with that. But I clearly remember at the time when people were crying about McGregor getting a title shot, there were 2 names people kept bringing up as more deserving. Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson. Fair enough. They were both on a tear at the time and as deserving as McGregor, if not more. But Swanson hadn't beat any of the wrestlers of the division either. That fact was conveniently being ignored by the anti-McGregor crew. Of course, then Edgar and Swanson got matched up and Edgar spanked him but before that Swanson was being brought up a lot as if he was proven and McGregor wasn't. When neither of them had passed the 'wrestler test'. 

There's been double standards and bullshit reasoning on both sides. To defend and excuse McGregor's actions and on the other side to bash him. 

But the race thing, I'm sure it's true in some cases and there's double standards fuelled by racism. But if we're talking about Mayweather, and I'm assuming we are considering he's the one who bleats on the most about how much he makes and even has 'Money' as his nickname. I think for most they dislike Mayweather because he's a cunt. The fact he's black is irrelevant. Cunts come in various colours.

US sports stars in general really. There's a pretty noticeable difference in how they're viewed in the US especially if they dare to flash their cash. I'm not talking about dislike either really, it's kind of like a weird standard that's applied when it comes to those guys as far as being role models, and not being respectful, being arrogant and so on, while someone like Conor is basically considered a cheeky chappie Irish lad playing up to the crowd.

For many I'm sure it's a case of thinking that the African American athletes who do it are acting above their station, in much the same way as Ali was viewed back in the day. 

Regardless, if you take his ability to batter folk out of the equation McGregor is basically one of those wankers you see in the papers who've been on the dole and then won the lottery, walking around in ridiculously expensive clothes and driving fast cars, acting like a cunt generally.

As a fighter I totally respect him, as I do any guy who walks into the cage and fights. As a person though? Nah, not thus far. Maybe having a kid will settle him down and make him think a bit, we'll see I guess.

As for the avoiding wrestlers thing, there's probably some truth to it from the UFC trying to protect him side. I can agree with that. But I clearly remember at the time when people were crying about McGregor getting a title shot, there were 2 names people kept bringing up as more deserving. Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson. Fair enough. They were both on a tear at the time and as deserving as McGregor, if not more. But Swanson hadn't beat any of the wrestlers of the division either. That fact was conveniently being ignored by the anti-McGregor crew. Of course, then Edgar and Swanson got matched up and Edgar spanked him but before that Swanson was being brought up a lot as if he was proven and McGregor wasn't. When neither of them had passed the 'wrestler test'. 

Like I said, I don't really think Conor actively avoided anyone, and think it was more to do with the UFC trying to keep their cash cow on the winning track as best they could. 

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ah, I don't know maybe you're right. I haven't got a clue really how black sports stars in the US are treated compared to anyone else. 

Yeah, I'm no expert on it, I'm just going by what I see in the media, and on social media etc. The general opinion of someone with cash and who flashes that cash can change depending on their ethnicity I find.

• Paid Members

I honestly think there's one important thing being ignored here: McGregor is actually funny, and makes people laugh. People forgive a lot more when you're funny; seems minor, but it's a lot more influential than you think. The vast majority of athletes who flash the cash and nothing more tend to get written off as obnoxious and annoying. Whilst Ali did get a lot of flak from people, particularly whites, for being brash, and for making the white establishment uncomfortable with the political mirror he held up to their hypocrisy, he also made a lot of fans out of people who found him entertaining and funny. 

There is definitely a double standard, under which unfunny cash-flashing whites get less flak than unfunny cash-flashing blacks, and that is definitely down to some deep-seated, entrenched idea of blacks "getting above their station", but I honestly think the reason why McGregor gets away with so much is because people find him hilarious. If they didn't, he'd be getting the same reactions as Mike Perry or Tim Kennedy, who still don't get as bad reactions as guys like Kevin Lee unjustifiably get. That's not to say I don't find his money-shaking obnoxious; it actually detracts from my enjoyment of his genuinely funny hijinks, like "three men died in the making of this watch" or "even in the air I'm coming for him", and I'm certainly not a fan of his homophobic, misogynistic, and racist comments. But he is funny, and enough people find him enough so that they pay

Overall, I think cash-flashing in itself is just crude and class-less, and anyone who does it should have all their money piled up and burned in front of them while Ed Sheeran sings to them, but making people laugh while you do it makes it work. I can't think of any other athlete who does that.

Flawed as he is, I quite like McGregor as a person. There's often a bit of charm to him.

I did find the press conferences with Mayweather a bit much though. I recall one of them (the 2nd one), being a fun watch. The rest were pretty horrendous. Neither of them did themselves justice really. 

• Paid Members

Does Kevin Lee get unjustifiably bad reactions? I don't see him get much shit at all. It's mostly just me on here having a pop at him. And that's because he's a bit of a twat. Tim Kennedy is worse though. Worse than knob rot. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Does Kevin Lee get unjustifiably bad reactions? I don't see him get much shit at all. It's mostly just me on here having a pop at him. And that's because he's a bit of a twat. Tim Kennedy is worse though. Worse than knob rot. 

In all honesty, I've probably made the mistake of seeing reactions on here as representative of the rest of MMA fandom, even though I know they're definitely not; I don't go on Bloody Elbow or Sherdog, so I've probably misjudged.

• Paid Members

i try to make my own judgement on someone based off video interviews/countdowns etc. and Lee seems a decent dude, definitely hams it up for the cameras and is aware hes selling a fight though. In one-on-one Helwani style interviews though he comes off as a good egg.

• Paid Members

It just feels so fake and forced with Lee to me. I get why he's doing it and I can't even knock him, he probably wouldn't have got to main event a PPV so early on in his career if he wasn't making himself so visible. But I can't take to people just trying to 'do a McGregor'. And that's what it feels like with Kevin Lee. I know McGregor 'hams it up' but it feels more authentic and genuine to me when he does it. Same with Bisping. Even going back years ago, for better or worse, when you saw guys like Tito Ortiz and Rampage Jackson mouthing off it felt like they were just being themselves. And 'themselves' just happened to be dickheads. There were times during interviews and in the build up to this Ferguson fight where I thought Lee came off genuine and it helped sell me on the fight. But most of the time it just came off cringeworthy, try-hard and like he was playing a character. In fairness I suppose it's all quite new to him and if he finds a balance maybe it'll come off less hokey in the future. 

It wasn't Lee's fault but it also didn't help that people kept banging on about him being the next huge MMA star and stuff. He hadn't done anything amazing in the cage at that point so it can only have been based on his playground trash talk and silly outfits. 

And in a messed up way i was actually more sold on Lee's skills as a fighter watching him lose to Ferguson than I was after watching any of his wins. I thought he did really well, better than I expected him to, and especially considering he had staph going in. He'd clearly stepped up his game and everything looked a bit better than it did in his past fights IMO. It'll be interesting to see who they match him with next and how he looks (especially without staph) going forward, now he's had that taste of the top level.

Archived