UFC 216: Ferguson vs Lee

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Was Chiesa being talked about as a title contender?

He wasn't. Chiesa was, and still is, far from the level where he’d be talked about as a possible title contender, especially in a stacked division like lightweight. He’s had no breakout performances where people have come away thinking he could be a future champion, no big name victories, and only a rather modest winning streak going. For Chiesa to actually be considered a title contender, he needs that breakout performance or a big win over a name fighter.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
6 hours ago, David said:

Conor, for all if his brilliance, does have a penchant for being a bit of an ignorant fool. Be it calling a German citizen with family from the old Soviet Union a Nazi, or calling a Mexican-American a cholo, or asking a black man to dance for him and making monkey references, he's not the brightest, is he?

Now, one little slip up I can understand, but he has form in this area. Not beyond a bit of ethnic or racial stereotyping is our Conor. 

That's literally the extent of it though, isn't it? You cite those three things as examples and suggest he does it all the time, but those three things are the extent of it over his UFC career.

I'm not commenting on how bad those three things are, just pointing out that that's the extent of it rather than some examples from a much bigger set.

53 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Was Chiesa being talked about as a title contender? If he was that totally passed me by. He probably wasn't that far off I suppose but I don't remember anyone really talking about Chiesa in the title mix. He was always below that Khabib, Ferguson, Barboza, Alvarez, Dos Anjos level over the last few years. 

Hey, if Lee wins then whatever. I'm not saying he's shit. I just don't buy him as the next big thing. There is a middle ground. 

Pretty much, yeah. Aside from a doctors stoppage he was on a roll. He was on a three fight streak, beating the likes of Daruish and Jim Miller. If he'd beaten Lee he'd be right up there without doubt.

That may be an indication of the strength of the division, but still.

4 minutes ago, Chunk said:

That's literally the extent of it though, isn't it? You cite those three things as examples and suggest he does it all the time, but those three things are the extent of it over his UFC career.

I'm not commenting on how bad those three things are, just pointing out that that's the extent of it rather than some examples from a much bigger set.

Literally the extent of it? 30% of his opponents since he signed for the UFC, including Mayweather, have been the victim of what could be construed as ethnically dubious or racist comments. Sorry bud, but as much of a McGregor fan as you may be surely you have to see the problem there? This isn't a one-off where you can say "It was a bad turn of phrase" or something. Like it or not, Conor has previous for this kind of shit.

Glossing over it because we like his over the top persona or his in-cage fighting ability seems a bit off to me.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Pretty much, yeah. Aside from a doctors stoppage he was on a roll. He was on a three fight streak, beating the likes of Daruish and Jim Miller. If he'd beaten Lee he'd be right up there without doubt.

That may be an indication of the strength of the division, but still.

Literally the extent of it? 30% of his opponents since he signed for the UFC, including Mayweather, have been the victim of what could be construed as ethnically dubious or racist comments. Sorry bud, but as much of a McGregor fan as you may be surely you have to see the problem there? This isn't a one-off where you can say "It was a bad turn of phrase" or something. Like it or not, Conor has previous for this kind of shit.

Glossing over it because we like his over the top persona or his in-cage fighting ability seems a bit off to me.

All I was saying is that your comment made it sound like you were citing 3 examples from lots more than 3 examples of him doing it. When, in actual fact, those 3 are all of the examples of him doing it.

For what it's worth. I think the Nazi and cholo stuff was dumb as fuck and shows he can speak before he thinks. I think the "boy" stuff with Mayweather was clearly taken the wrong way intentionally by a small number of people that like to get annoyed about stuff - there was clearly no intent from Mcgregor.

• Paid Members

We'll see on fight night, I guess. For me, Lee beating Ferguson is a massive upset. That's not to discredit the skills of Lee, I just think the Ferguson we've seen over the last 2 years, or so, is one of the most impressive to ever do it. He's probably two wins away from making that official.

• Paid Members

I agree Colin. I think Lee is being overrated and Ferguson is actually being underrated a bit, or at least slightly underappreciated as a fighter. 

I also think McGregor vs Ferguson is a much more interesting fight than McGregor vs Lee. 

18 minutes ago, Chunk said:

All I was saying is that your comment made it sound like you were citing 3 examples from lots more than 3 examples of him doing it. When, in actual fact, those 3 are all of the examples of him doing it.

For what it's worth. I think the Nazi and cholo stuff was dumb as fuck and shows he can speak before he thinks. I think the "boy" stuff with Mayweather was clearly taken the wrong way intentionally by a small number of people that like to get annoyed about stuff - there was clearly no intent from Mcgregor.

Nonsense, my comment made it sound like I was talking about three incidents. Three incidents are three incidents too many in my opinion. 

And, again, you can claim there was no intent from McGregor, despite not actually knowing that. I've heard countless times from people who make these kinds of comments that there's not any intent, or that it was "all said in fun". Bollocks, he's old enough and smart enough to know that you don't go to the US and call a black person "boy" and tell them to dance for you. We're not talking about some obscure historical reference here, we're talking about common fucking sense.

McGregor is a smart guy. He's a talented fighter. But, these comments suggest that he's either incredibly fucking thick, or he's one of those "all in jest" types. Sure, he's not Edward Norton from American History X, but most of those who use these kind of terms usually aren't.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Nonsense, my comment made it sound like I was talking about three incidents. Three incidents are three incidents too many in my opinion. 

And, again, you can claim there was no intent from McGregor, despite not actually knowing that. I've heard countless times from people who make these kinds of comments that there's not any intent, or that it was "all said in fun". Bollocks, he's old enough and smart enough to know that you don't go to the US and call a black person "boy" and tell them to dance for you. We're not talking about some obscure historical reference here, we're talking about common fucking sense.

McGregor is a smart guy. He's a talented fighter. But, these comments suggest that he's either incredibly fucking thick, or he's one of those "all in jest" types. Sure, he's not Edward Norton from American History X, but most of those who use these kind of terms usually aren't.

Fair enough. That's how it came over to me, anyway.

I agree with you about Siva and Diaz. The Mayweather stuff I don't though - you just had to watch his reaction to it in the media afterwards. Either he's completely worked me or he genuinely had no intent when he called him "boy".

1 minute ago, Chunk said:

Fair enough. That's how it came over to me, anyway.

I agree with you about Siva and Diaz. The Mayweather stuff I don't though - you just had to watch his reaction to it in the media afterwards. Either he's completely worked me or he genuinely had no intent when he called him "boy".

For the record I'm not calling Conor a raging bigot here, I'm saying that he's like the vast majority of young white men who use these comments. He doesn't fully grasp the seriousness of them. He knows that he shouldn't be saying them, but he doesn't care.

The problem is, because he's Conor McGregor he isn't going to get pulled up for it. If he wasn't such a cash generator he'd likely have been binned after the Nazi quip. But, he makes a lot of wealthy white men in suits a a lot of money, so he'll get away with it. The same way as Floyd got away with his homophobic slur.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I agree Colin. I think Lee is being overrated and Ferguson is actually being underrated a bit, or at least slightly underappreciated as a fighter. 

I also think McGregor vs Ferguson is a much more interesting fight than McGregor vs Lee. 

100%. Again, Lee is very good, but I think Ferguson has all the attributes needed to give McGregor his toughest MMA bout. The left hand of doom may be null and void against Ferguson's freaky chin, and we know Ferguson has the cardio to match the output of almost anyone.

Ferguson v McGregor/Khabib/Nate; ooft!

14 hours ago, David said:

For the record I'm not calling Conor a raging bigot here, I'm saying that he's like the vast majority of young white men who use these comments. He doesn't fully grasp the seriousness of them. He knows that he shouldn't be saying them, but he doesn't care.

Throw in his misogyny as well, you're bang on.

• Paid Members

Reebok are debuting new Fight Kits at 215, it's gonna be a regular thing at PPV events going forward, nice to see some individuality about them rather than the generic Reebok kits they've been using until now:

21314609_2330518480505891_82022250550360

20799229_2330518530505886_87517649546392

Archived