General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

On 31/07/2017 at 5:08 PM, Ladiesman345 said:

Haha, true. Rangers are now looking like a half decent team. They beat Watford last week as well.  Alves, Dorrans, and Jack look like inspired signings. They played Wednesday off the park yesterday, but reading a bit about them it seems they'll likely be in mid table obscurity at the end of the season.

Never mind Watford and the Owls, let's see how they fare against Motherwell, who have signed the best that Coventry City have to offer this summer.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well...it's actually happening then. Neymar to PSG for £198m. Good fucking grief! Pogba is even more of a bargain now :omg:

So many things to discuss and think about after this. Lots will question how PSG can manage this whilst still remaining compliant with FFP, but forgetting the fact that FFP has become an absolute farce in recent years. They will get around it, so many have proved that it's fucking easy to bypass FFP- which is littered with flaws and loopholes.

Some are claiming this move has a massive political agenda behind it, with the move financed by Qatar- who are currently isolated by their gulf neighbours following claims of their involvement and support of terrorism (which is rich considering you have the likes of Saudi Arabia and Egypt making these claims).

But above all else, this is massive from a football perspective. Barcelona, one of the 3 biggest clubs in the world (in virtually every measurement possible to determine a big club) are losing potentially their best player for the next several years to a team that can't even make the Top 10 rich list. This is a huge blow to Spanish football and to the perception that the big 2 in Spain will never sell a player that they want to keep.

Neymar will shine at PSG. The league is weaker, he will be the star and step out from Messi's shadow and can contend for the FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon D'or, as that seems to be important to many players. Very interesting times.

SUPER EDIT: I forgot to add that Barca are not only going to complain to FIFA, UEFA, the French government, Interpol, their local MP and whoever else they can about the deal, but they are also trying to rally other major clubs to oppose this move. HA! Fuck off, you insufferable cunts. You've been doing this for years, how do you like them apples. No sympathy for you. Now watch them do the same with Coutinho...

I'll happily accept £198m for Coutinho! As far as I know we don't have any intention of selling Phil and he is without a release clause so you'd imagine our reputation as one of world footballs greatest sellers of players will mean that Barcelona would have to take a huge chunk of that £198m to make it happen.

• Paid Members

Yep, exactly. This is going to be a proper Torres-like moment of pulling shorts down. Liverpool are in a brilliant position to negotiate here, I reckon we could see another £100m+ deal happen this summer. They have all the cards in their hands if Barca do want him. They'll need to do something, imagine trying to win La Liga and CL by playing Deulofeu rather than Neymar?? My only concern is that Liverpool could then kick us to the side and sign Lemar. Fuck.

It's strange how this happened shortly after Barca's shirt deal with Qatar Airways expired *thinking emoji*

44 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

But above all else, this is massive from a football perspective. Barcelona, one of the 3 biggest clubs in the world (in virtually every measurement possible to determine a big club) are losing potentially their best player for the next several years to a team that can't even make the Top 10 rich list. This is a huge blow to Spanish football and to the perception that the big 2 in Spain will never sell a player that they want to keep.

Neymar will shine at PSG. The league is weaker, he will be the star and step out from Messi's shadow and can contend for the FIFA World Player of the Year and Balon D'or, as that seems to be important to many players. Very interesting times.

From a footballing perspective it's about stepping out of Messi's shadow as you say, and establishing himself as one of the real superstars in the game. He wants to be his own man, so to speak, and who can blame him?

This should set off a whole lot of interesting transfers in the next few weeks if it goes through, so interesting times indeed!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

From a footballing perspective it's about stepping out of Messi's shadow as you say, and establishing himself as one of the real superstars in the game. He wants to be his own man, so to speak, and who can blame him?

It's no coincidence that this accelerated just weeks after Messi signed a new deal with Barca until 2021, I'd imagine that bit of news set the wheels in motion and Neymar's reps were on the case straight away. Neymar was clearly THE man in waiting at Barca, the question is how long would he have to wait to become the man? Messi is showing no signs of really slowing and Neymar will be 26 at next year's World Cup- perhaps at his peak.

I understand the wanting to get out of the shadows of Messi and having more chance of winning the yearly awards but he will have to live with the counter argument of doing it in a Weaker league vs Weaker Opposition, sort of like how the Euro Golden boot is weighted so scoring 2 goals in say Scotland is only the equivalent of 1 goal in the PL, La Liga, Bundesliga etc 

If he scores 50 odd goals but Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez etc still score say 40+ in a stronger league he may well find himself on the outside still, Its not all about goals of course but easy to use that as the measuring stick for now

I think he will have to do something special, Take PSG to the CL final etc something they have never done to really make his mark (assuming MessI, Ronaldo don't slow down and have there usual seasons) and be the star of the World Cup which has been shown previously is a big plus when it comes to the end of season/year awards      

Certainly though its an interesting move and could start the dominoes falling around Europe on other deals.

On 27/07/2017 at 9:47 PM, Shy Dad said:

Stuff like this still makes me want to have another Brain of the UKFF competition, if only to defend my title. Was one of my favourite things on here.

I have only just spotted this @Shy Dad. I am planning to run a second edition of the Brain of the UKFF but there will be a couple of tweaks. The major one will be not using Sporcle, I will reveal all once my baby will allow me to sleep more than 4 hours per night.

Neymar is decent but £198m? Wow. 

Unless PSG win a few European cups I cannot see Neymar being taken that seriously against Ronaldo/Messi. He will no doubt rip the french league apart, but then its just the french league after all.

Also PSG will get around this somehow and will probably offload some players now to recoup some of the costs.

Archived