UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs Browne - Feb 19

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Although it was a late stoppage I think the fact that Travis previously gave the thumbs up, even when he wasn't 'intelligently' defending himself & taking big shots swayed the refs judgement a bit. Like Bifkin said though, I've little sympathy for Browne.

I always loved Todd Grisham in WWE and recognised his voice immediately on this show, didn't know he joined them this year. It was an enjoyable show and thanks to wandshogun09 for the written previews on here because I only know the histories of a handful of guys and it really helps. I generally skip the pre-match promos on the actual show.

• Paid Members

The Lewis post fight press interview is worth a watch:

He walks out with a toy belt and calls himself the Interim HW Champ!  :D

Also says he'll give Mario Yamasaki $1000 for letting the fight go long so that he could get his anger out on Browne for putting his hands on women.

• Paid Members

Just a couple of quick notes:-

Lewis is awesome, just simply awesome.

Similar to a comment on the previous page, I thought the Hendricks/Lombard fight was far closer than what was written. I actually had Lombard with round 1, then round 2 could have gone either way but I thought Lombard landed the more damaging shots, and then round 3 to Hendricks, so all in all 2-1 Lombard. 

Thought Todd Grisham did a very good job and thought his voice sounded decent in compliment with Stann's. Actually preferred his delivery over Jon Anik's and actually Mike Goldberg's. 

• Paid Members

Aye. It'd be a shame if his rise was to be cut off because he didn't know when to pull his head in. He seems a little bit of a loose cannon with this stuff. Brian Stann was visibly uncomfortable with some of the comments Lewis made during the Octagon interview.

• Paid Members

I don't really mind what his saying but touching gloves about a minute before saying the stuff about Browne soured me a little. It's like his posturing a bit. 

His limited and fat as fuck though. So intrigued to see who stops the run. 

• Paid Members

Heard you lot praising the beast on here for months now, and whilst I don't have the time these days to follow the in cage stuff, on the basis of that post fight interview alone, he may be my favourite human being in the world right now.

"It basically comes down to, I didn't wanna shit on myself".  Fuck me... how do you say that so deadpan? and how does NO ONE react to the fart line?

Amazing!!

• Paid Members

Just watched most of the event (my family hogs the TV with the V+ Box, so couldn't watch it all in one go).

Santos/Marshman was a bloody good opener, wasn't it? A little disappointed, as I wanted the Welshman to win, but in fairness, until that Spinning Shit, it was looking like it could have gone either way to a finish. No disgrace in losing like that, especially as Marshman seemed to be giving as good as he got.

Really enjoyed seeing Markos get the win, though, like wand, I wasn't entirely sure she was winning. Seemed even, but with Esparza edging it slightly. But yeah - fuck Esparza. If anyone deserves a little bit of a robbery, it's her. Not as much as Magana, Herrig or Rawlings, but some.

Think I may have another favourite to watch: Aieman Zahabi. His boxing was crafted, fast and accurate, a thing of beauty, and I always appreciate an excellent fight IQ (like Barao's for most of his prime). Vieira was game, and there were definitely a couple of points when I thought Zahabi's cautiousness might cost him not just the match on points, but end up with his head being taken off by a Hail Mary. As it was, it was a good match, and I'm looking forward to seeing how well Zahabi does from here on in.

I must admit: I was disappointed Taleb lost to Ponzinibbio. He started really well, looked up for it, and seemed to have the right game plan against Ponzinibbio. Part of me thinks that Ponzinibbio might have Jones-ed his way to a victory by cutting off Taleb's momentum with that eye-poke, but then again Ponzinibbio seemed to have already started turning the tide a bit, so perhaps not. A fun match, though.

Loved Felder's performance. Seemed like he had an answer for everything Ricci threw at him: throw a jab, eat a counter. Solid stuff. It's a shame he was coming off a loss, as I'd have liked to see him getting into position for a title challenge run, especially with that "Irish Dragon" thing - would love to see what McGregor did with that.

Very pleased for Sara McMann, and I hope this run means she's found everything she needs in the toolbox, and that she just needed to change up her training to unlock it. She seems really nice, too, so it'd be good to see her have another crack at the title, and see if she can avenge the loss to Nunes.

Elias Theodorou wasn't as impressive this time around, I thought. I'm not certain I had him winning against Ferreira, who showed some good aggression, some meaty hits, and some solid grappling. Theodorou gave a decent account of himself, but I was left with the distinct impression he was getting home benefit. Still, I guess that's the fight game: any fighter going to his opponent's home town needs to make the fight more decisively in his favour, and I'd hazard a guess this is common knowledge.

To echo wand: that Gavin Tucker, eh? I don't know if it was just because he was buzzed at making his debut at the big-time in front of all his home-town fans, but that performance was electric. The sheer volume was ridiculous. Felt a bit bad for Sam Sicilia, who just seemed out-gunned in every single respect - fans, location, fight record, and his actual bloody opponent. Loved that corner advice he got for the third round, and the fact that he chose to listen to it and turn up the dial. It actually had me slightly worried for Tucker: given the laws of narrative in life, with Tucker dominating, getting all buzzed and happy, and even a little cocky, it would have been just the sort of thing to happen if Sicilia had just pulled a cannonball out of nowhere and turned the entire match on its head (and Tucker on his). As such, I was glad to see the hometown boy get the dream debut (I also have some good family friends in Halifax, NS, so I was rooting for him anyway).

I'll watch the rest tomorrow evening and then post thoughts.

• Paid Members

Are they really that interested in 'protecting' Ronda anymore though? Hasn't she come out and pretty much said she's done? Also, when they were building up the 145 women's title fight, they showed a load of clips of the head kick from Holm.

Archived