UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs Browne - Feb 19

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's another Sunday Fight Night on February 19th as the UFC returns to Canada...

cVyBt.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Travis Browne vs Derrick Lewis

Johny Hendricks vs Hector Lombard

Sam Sicilia vs Gavin Tucker

Elias Theodorou vs Cezar Ferreira

Sara McMann vs Gina Mazany

Paul Felder vs Alessandro Ricci

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Nordine Taleb vs Santiago Ponzinibbio

Carla Esparza vs Randa Markos

Reginaldo Vieira vs Aiemann Zahabi

Thiago Santos vs Jack Marshman

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Gerald Meerschaert vs Ryan Janes

I really like the look of this. The headliner was supposed to be a Junior Dos Santos vs Stefan Struve rematch that nobody wanted and Beast vs Browne was originally on UFC 208. When JDS vs Struve 2 fell apart they shuffled the deck and I like the way it's worked out. Now we still get Lewis vs Browne, plus it sounds like JDS is going to challenge Stipe Miocic for the title now. For once the injury bug has actually improved the situation.

oP03X.jpg

So Travis Browne vs Derrick Lewis is now a five round main event. Not that it should need five rounds but it basically just means more time for the KO punch to land. In reality I can't see this going past a round or two tops.

V8Qx.jpg

Travis 'Mr Rousey' Browne needs to make something happen to steer his career away from the iceberg. I mention it every time he fights but I really think he's one of the biggest underachievers in the sport. You don't find many near 7fters with his agility and movement. And for a while it looked like he was well on his way to becoming a serious threat to the title. The first time he really got my attention was in 2011 when he scored a highlight reel Superman punch KO on Stefan Struve that just folded the big Dutchman up like a deck chair. Then I remember being impressed with his fight against Chad Griggs. Not because of the opponent, but I remember seeing Travis throw a flying knee that Jose Aldo would've been proud of. From there he looked scary putting away Gabriel Gonzaga with elbows while defending a takedown attempt. He showed incredible heart in taking a vicious beating off Alistair Overeem and coming back to knock him out. And perhaps his most noteworthy win for me was his one minute annihilation of Josh Barnett at UFC 168, again with the elbows of doom. I never warmed to him but it was undeniable that by the end of 2013, he'd served notice to the rest of the division that a new player was in town.

Then it happened...

EplXf.jpg

Sometime in 2014, Browne left Alliance MMA and enlisted the services of Edmond Tarverdyan as his head coach and joined the Glendale Fight Team. The team's only success was Ronda Rousey. And it seemed like upon joining the team, Browne quickly went on a win one/lose one merry go round of inconsistency on Edmond's watch. He also became embroiled in domestic violence accusations from his ex wife. And, reading between the lines a bit, it seemed like he stole Ronda Rousey away from Brendan Schaub then battered Schaub in their fight at UFC 181. The absolute bastard.

He's coming off back-to-back losses now at the hands of Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum. His most recent loss to Werdum also ended with Ed the Twat getting kicked by Werdum. Then in December, Browne's "sugar mama" (as Ben Rothwell recently described her) Ronda Rousey got obliterated into what was most likely retirement by Amanda Nunes. It hasn't been a fun time to be Travis Browne recently.

Then just to piss on his chips a bit more, his phone rang and he was given his next opponent...

dQmnH.jpg

He's got to try and tame the 'Black Beast' Derrick Lewis. A mountain of raw power and violence who's on a five fight winning streak. In his last three fights he beat Gonzaga, Roy Nelson and Shamil Abdurakhimov. Nothing he does is pretty but he's the fucking man. Worth a follow on Twitter and Instagram as well, where he's good fun.

Derrick Lewis observes the heavyweight title picture...

2XOqs.jpg

Hard to argue. Not that I'd EVER argue with him anyway. Here's a cool little video on Lewis that the UFC usually trot out before his fights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=AqnA8UV3490

So that's your main event. Hopefully Lewis looks spectacular here. His last fight against Abdurakhimov was pretty awful until Lewis unleashed the beast in the later rounds and put an end to it. This should be a hard fight to call, as Browne is always dangerous. But I just don't know with him anymore. I don't know where his head is at. Thankfully he's at least seen sense and got rid of Edmond. He's apparently joined Black House now so we'll see what comes of that. But I've got a feeling the Beast's taking this one.

rtGsp.jpg

Hendricks vs Lombard is the co-headliner. Hendricks is moving up to 185 after failing to make weight for his UFC 207 fight against Neil Magny. This after kicking up a big stink and having a go at the media in a bizarre interview in the days before, and insisting he would make the weight just fine. Bellend. Lombard is no stranger to being a bit of a cock himself but he's the babyface in this fight to me. I can't see past Lombard smacking Hendricks all over the octagon. And it's going to be beautiful.

Ms2o.jpg

Sicilia vs Tucker will probably be good and I don't even know who Gavin Tucker is. Sicilia is just one of those fighters who doesn't do bad fights. He's always aggressive, he's tough, he hits hard and no matter what his opponent's style is it always seems to result in something entertaining. Tucker is Canadian, I know that much. 9-0 with 8 finishes. Apparently he's from a place called Ships Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador. What the fuck? Is this guy entering the UFC or Crufts?

GftmA.jpg

Theodorou vs Ferreira is a battle of TUF winners. Theodorou won TUF Nations in 2014 repping Canada. Ferreira won the first TUF Brazil in 2012. Both guys have kind of just floated around on the prelims but they've both shown little flashes of brilliance. I'm quite looking forward to this one. Ferreira took a while but I've liked what I've seen of him recently. And Theodorou, despite looking like Luke Rockhold-lite, has potential IMO. 11-1 and still in his 20s. Could be a star for Canada if he keeps moving up the ladder.

6BGjd.jpg

McMann vs Carmouche should be decent enough. Two victims of the Reign Of Rousey. But they're both good fighters. McMann is an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling. I thought she looked really good in her last fight, submitting Alexis Davis. Probably her best all around showing in her UFC career yet. And Carmouche came back off a long layoff to beat Katlyn Chookagian at UFC 205 in MSG. Two of the more likeable women in the game so it's a shame one has to lose, but it should be a good fight.

xWiO.jpg

Taleb vs Ponzinibbio is likely to be a wild scrap. Again, these are two guys who just don't do shit fights. Taleb is the Canadian so the crowd will be with him. He knocked out Erick Silva in his last fight which was big for him. Ponzinibbio is someone I've grown to look forward to seeing on a card. Usually a highlight of the prelims. He's coming off three wins so he's riding some momentum. Pretty good chance this gets FOTN, I reckon.

M3bro.jpg

Esparza vs Markos is this card's ***WAND'S ONE TO WATCH***. It might not be the most exciting fight on the card but it's the one I might actually be the most invested in. This fight has been in the making ever since these two appeared on TUF 20 in 2014. This was the fight I wanted to see back then. It was a pure heel vs babyface dynamic that TUF used to be so great at producing. Like Chris Leben vs Josh Koscheck and Efrain Escudero vs Junie Browning before them, I really wanted to see Randa Markos batter Carla Esparza.

They didn't get on on the show;

yjGu9.jpg

And the house was kind of split into two camps. The heel side consisted of a bunch of horrible bully types like Esparza, Felice Herrig, Angela Magana and Bec Rawlings. The babyface side had Randa, Joanne Calderwood, Aisling Daly and maybe one or two others. Randa was one of those TUF contestants I'd never heard of before the show, but she made a fan of me just by being one of the few in the house who seemed mature and cool. And when she submitted Felice Herrig on the show, that was me on board.

Here's Markos and Esparza building their TUF fight that never was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=jtGxvTpHM4k

If it was pro wrestling, Carla Esparza vs Randa Markos would've been the TUF final. But it wasn't to be. We still got to see Esparza get mauled though, by the future strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk in 2015. Since then, they've both had up and down careers but I'm glad the fight is finally happening. Hopefully Randa crushes the boring little twat.

tMGkn.jpg

Santos vs Marshman is another fight I could easily see stealing the show. Santos was on a nice little run until I started praising him. Seems I jinxed the poor prick because he's gone 0-2 in his last couple of fights, losing to Gegard Mousasi and Eric Spicely. He'll be looking to snap that losing streak. But he's fighting Welshman Jack Marshman, former BAMMA champ who's coming off a successful UFC debut in a great fight against Magnus Cedenblad. Good fight this. Tough second fight in for Marshman, despite Santos' recent losses.

So yeah, plenty to like about this card.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leben was a pretty poor babyface in his fued with Koscheck. Bullying the fuck out of Jason Thacker, pissing on the guys bed and verbally berating him from day one. I thought he was a drunken, moronic, frat boy douchebag. I was laughing my arse of when Kos layed and prayed him into oblivion. That was a heel vs heel match up.

Talking of dickheads fighting Hendricks getting destroyed by Lombard should be fun. Have a feeling Browne might sadly get his shit back together in the main and KO the likeable Lewis though.

• Paid Members

Leben was a massive twat early on in TUF 1 but Koscheck and especially Bobby Southworth were definitely the heels in that whole thing for me. Southworth calling him a "fatherless bastard" and then Koscheck spraying him with the hosepipe when he'd tried to get away from them and was sleeping - the behaviour of a pair of cunts.

• Paid Members

I know everyone loves to rip on Edmund for Travis Browne's downfall but does anything it might have more to do with the fact that his girlfriend is a multi-millionaire superstar? Financially Travis must be sitting pretty living in Ronda's mansion, perhaps he just lost the drive to take the sport seriously, jogging in silk pyjamas and all that.

...Edmund is the cherry on the top.

• Paid Members

The Black Beast on the MMA Hour talking about Travis Browne...

"I look at him beating his wife and I could look at this as motivation since he like to hit on women."

Apparently, the Beast saw his dad beat his mum growing up and he's looking to fuck up a (alleged) wifebeater here.

• Paid Members

I would love it if he started saying that in his trash talk. I know it belongs to Menry, but it would be great if somebody was doing it in real fights (although I know wigs are probably illegal in MMA fights).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Is tonight's show Fight Pass exclusive? I have Fight Pass on my phone but I was hoping it would be shown on BT as it's more enjoyable to watch on the TV. I thought that was part of the new agreement with BT to show the fight pass shows, or was the odd exception made?

Archived