5 Star Wrestling discussion

Sexy Dad

I haven't seen much anticipation or talk of the upcoming live show that this company are putting on next Saturday which is being aired on Spike. Apologies if I have missed discussion elsewhere on here.

I think if this was announced six months ago there would be some anticipation around this and despite the fantastic WWE UK shows last weekend and the WOS special airing on New Years Eve - this is the first live show to air on actual television since the recent boom of excitement in the UK scene.

Based on what the company put out at the start of 2016 and all advertising this show looks set to feature more mid 2000s WWE names than a 2014 weekender in Preston. However, Coffey, Gibson and Hendry look set to be featured which is encouraging.

Does anyone have positive stories from attending the shows this company put on last year? Is anyone going to this one? What is your general opinion on what to expect?

I'm personally not overly looking forward to this due to it ultimately coming out of nowhere, the lack of brand awareness has led to minimal buzz - if this had been ICW at The Hydro or Progress at Brixton I feel that this would be seen as a monumental event.

However, when it comes to the UK wrestlers getting opportunities it is a great thing and there may be some of the remaining TNA viewers looking for their fix on the telly rather than signing up to anything or deciding to seek anything online.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

All I know about the company is they released a pair of really fucking shit looking games and I think tried to run a show before with Morrison and Mysterio on and either nobody turned up or it got cancelled, I can't remember. 
It's a shame all the money marks are coming out of the woodwork now britwres is actually getting somewhere.

They did a show in September 2015. They were papering on the door. There was a Thread for the tour last year. They certainly announced last year's arena tour at a questionable time. They did it in November to little fanfare. Crap promotion and they only did 2,300 through all 3 dates I think. Progress in Brixton did more. That's little over a third of the 6,200 ICW got at the Hydro. It was headlined by Rey Mysterio and AJ Styles in some of his last Indy dates before WWE. The main attraction for the tour was a dream match between the 2. Main event I hear you ask? It was on THIRD!!! Who thought that was a good idea seeing as that was the match they built the tour around? Their Dundee show originally had Ryback headlining but he had to pull out. So Mysterio's back. And another thing that irks me is the poster for it. They couldn't be bothered to take Mark Haskins off it as he's injured. And they've only just announced it earlier he planned to do it but can't on the Facebook. Moose is replacing him. Strange way to promote a video game this.

They ran 3 shows in January last year. Went to the Liverpool show, held at the Echo Arena. Was heavily papered, I entered a competition and won 4 tickets, and so did a few others I know. Running the Echo was very ambitious and ended up with half the arena curtained off and plenty of empty seats.

That said, it was one of the most enjoyable shows me and the lad have been too. The meet and greet was well organised and the show ran smoothly. Card was decent and there was a show long storyline with a nice pay off to send us home happy.

If they were ever to return to Liverpool I'd definitely go back. Everyone got paid (I presume but there's been no horror stories since), all advertised talent appeared and everyone went home happy, it was a fun show.

• Paid Members

I think their argument last time they ran was that it was actually cheaper to run the shows to film footage for the games then it was to buy it off other companies / stage it. Not sure of the logic behind that. Did the game ever get released?

• Paid Members

It's all just so bizarre. Considering how much of a loss they're willing to take to "promote" the alleged video game, it wouldn't surprise if they have paid to get on, or at least taken a bad deal.

There's no Kurt Angle anymore for obvious reasons but there's a trailer now. Not sure everyone in it will actually be on the show.

I believe this has been sold as the first of a contracted whole series. There exists a video of Drew Galloway announcing the live special and a weekly series detailing a tournament of some kind. Sounds like he is as sure about what's going on as the rest of us are.

Given the venues they went for last year and the Dundee Ice Arena for next week, I think they are aiming medium-high for this one. By that I mean in terms of aesthetic/arena type presentation. Hope they have deep pockets if the imports will feature as prominently as they have so far.

• Paid Members

Fuck knows why they are showing this on Spike. They could show it on 5 Star and get a shit load of free promotion. Both channels are owned by the same company for fuck sake.

Its not called 5 star anymore. Its called DOMINANT WRESTLINGIGNGINGING!!!!!

Grrrrr.

Put the term 'Domination Wrestling' into Google or/and YouTube and let's just say... something else comes up.

Who knows, it might increase viewership lol

• Paid Members

It was headlined by Rey Mysterio and AJ Styles in some of his last Indy dates before WWE. The main attraction for the tour was a dream match between the 2. Main event I hear you ask? It was on THIRD!!! Who thought that was a good idea seeing as that was the match they built the tour around? 

IIRC the shows were midweek and ran quite long, so it may have been a way to make sure the kids got to see the match before their parents dragged them home amid tears.

• Paid Members

Fair play to them for getting a television deal but I can't see this show is running on schedule for TV.

At what point during the main event will it cut off to show "Worlds greatest Poker scandals" or whatever Five Star usually show. 

Archived