The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

He also said that he reckons Dana White and the UFC will want Conor to lose, as they'll surely realise that if he wins he'll abandon MMA for boxing full-time, as it's "the premiere combat sport in the world" and that he'd be headlining shows in Vegas "for years to come".

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, David said:

He also said that he reckons Dana White and the UFC will want Conor to lose, as they'll surely realise that if he wins he'll abandon MMA for boxing full-time, as it's "the premiere combat sport in the world" and that he'd be headlining shows in Vegas "for years to come".

There's some sense in that comment though. Conor would be making way more money if he was king of the boxing world.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Eddie Hearn has said Mayweather wants the British PPV price to be £100. Which could well explain the hold up with the broadcast rights here.

I doubt that happens but yeah, no fucking way I'd pay that. I don't care who's fighting. They could get God and the Devil to appear before me and promote a fight between them and I wouldn't pay 100 notes to see it. There's a point where it becomes a proper piss-take and £100 to watch a fight at 4am is way past that point.

Fuck Floyd and his daft high heels. 

40 minutes ago, neil said:

There's some sense in that comment though. Conor would be making way more money if he was king of the boxing world.

If he beats Mayweather it's going to be due to a not inconsiderable amount of luck though. the kind of luck that won't carry on through numerous fights most likely.

If he wins (and that's a gargantuan sizes if), there'll be a rematch without a doubt, after which McGregor will never be seen inside a boxing ring again due to making more money than he knows what to do with.

2 minutes ago, David said:

If he wins (and that's a gargantuan sizes if), there'll be a rematch without a doubt, after which McGregor will never be seen inside a boxing ring again due to making more money than he knows what to do with.

Can you imagine the kind of business the rematch will do if Conor pulls out the upset? As big as this fight is going to be, and it will be huge, a rematch would be on a whole different level. It's almost scary to think just how big the rematch would be.

Just now, Noah Southworth said:

Can you imagine the kind of business the rematch will do if Conor pulls out the upset? As big as this fight is going to be, and it will be huge, a rematch would be on a whole different level. It's almost scary to think just how big the rematch would be.

I don't know if it would, to be honest.  The one off nature and the sheer craziness of it all gives it a unique selling point.  I could be, and probably am, wrong but I think it's a one shot deal.

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I don't know if it would, to be honest.  The one off nature and the sheer craziness of it all gives it a unique selling point.  I could be, and probably am, wrong but I think it's a one shot deal.

Where the rematch could do bigger business is if the boxing fans who claim they're not buying this fight really aren't buying it, but they came out in droves to support 'one of their own' in the rematch. Add that to the massive casual support and the rematch could do insane business. Although, as you point out, the first fight has a selling point of being unique, of being a novelty, and that massive casual fan interest might not be there once that aforementioned novelty factor is gone. It'll be interesting to see what would happen and I really hope we get a chance to find out.

If McGregor wins it's going to be by stoppage, and if he stops Mayweather the rematch will be all kinds of big business in my opinion. Could you imagine the build up we have now, coupled with the fight actually being competitive? Fucking hell.

Archived