Who represents WCW to you?

Mr.E

With WCW being gone now for some time, I've been watching tons of old Nitro' on the network, and it's crazy to see who comes/goes during the mid-late 90's in WCW. Of all the people who've been in WCW, who would you have on a fantasy roster, that represents WCW to you? 

For example, Hogan/Savage/Hall and Nash are all "WWE" guys yet that's when I first got into WCW, so they would be on my list. However, somebody like The Nasty Boys or The Road Warriors/LOD, I cant decide on, as they were there, yet not long/frequently enough.

Who would be on your fantasy roster?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Booker T, Sting and Goldberg are always the first three names that whenever WCW are mentioned that immediately spring to mind. Others are more along the lines of like you mentioned former WWE guys, I always see hall as razor.

• Paid Members

WCW for me IS Flair and Sting. They were the big feud in JCP prior to and during the transition to Turner owned and essentially for three years it felt like they were the focal point of the company. They were the two main guys in the "ITV" era when Flair got home from his WWF jollys and either or was the top babyface depending which week you were watching. They wrestled on the first Nitro, they wrestled on the last.

Goldberg is WCW, obviously. It's not even a discussion. Likewise DDP. Booker T did alright in WWE but he'd be WCW too. The Steiners were in the WWF when I was properly getting into it but given how long they gave to WCW after they left the WWF, they're pretty much WCW first and foremost in my mind. While people that have been into it longer than me probably put the Road Warriors in the same category, those Hasbro figures and then watching during their 97 comeback kind of mean that I always think WWF first and foremost when I see the spiky shoulder pads.

Most of the old Cruiserweight division too. Eddy, Benoit (if he counts) and Jericho excluded, but I still genuinely think of his WCW peak when I see a photo of Rey's mask, might be the only one there. But him, Juventud, Psicosis, Ultimo Dragon, Dean Malenko, Chavo, Kidman.... that's my WCW undercard sorted.

Let's throw Raven, Kanyon and Saturn in there too. They did stuff in the WWF, sure, but they were worth far more in WCW. And at this point I'm probably thinking too much about it. Fuck it.... Wrath. I loved that guy and so did you.

• Paid Members

WCW for me IS Flair and Sting.

That's exactly how I feel. In the end the ultimate war between two people, that actually meant something whenever they met in WCW, is between Sting and Flair.

If they were messing about with other folks (Vader as an example) I always felt that they were just seperating out the Flair/Sting stuff.

I got into wrestling watching WCW on ITV in the early 90s, so when I think WCW, I think Sting (blonde hair surfer), Lex Luger, Arn Anderson, Barry Windham, Brian Pillman, Ricky Stramboat and of course Ric Flair.

To me, in my mind, WCW post Hogan's arrival in 94 is a different company. I know it's what brought them success finally, and at the time I did love Nitro and all its randomness. Looking back at my memories though, it's those commercially disastrous years from 1990 to 1993 that I keep going back to with real fondness.

I'd have to have an entertaining mid/lower card with guys like Disco Inferno, Alex Wright, Buff Bagwell, Ernest Miller and Kanyon on my roster. All great characters which scream WCW to me, especially during the time I was really watching it.

Also Dave Sullivan. Shite like that represents WCW to me too.

• Paid Members

I got properly into WCW between 97-99, so Sting, Goldberg, Nash, DDP and Hollywood Hogan are who I think of when I remember the better parts of WCW. I associate Flair more with early 90s WWF than I do with WCW during this period.

On a fantasy roster I'm taking all those names and throwing in prime Scott Steiner, along with some of the wee inferior lads like Benoit and Inferno so they can throw them about.

I'd also probably give Kidman a call and relive the hilariously awful Kidman v Hogan feud.

It's funny isn't it, about who you get into when you first start watching wrestling.

Kidman was the absolute guy for me, when he first left the flock and became cruiserweight champion. His feud and tam with Rey Mysterio blew my mind as a kid.

Kidman was the first person I ever saw perform a Shooting Star Press, so was instantly one of my favourite wrestlers.

Loved that period of time in WCW, with Kidman & Rey, Dean Malenko & Chris Benoit, Raven & Saturn and even Curt Hennig & Barry Windham, solid tag division around that time, each with a slightly different story as to why they are a team.

Plus Rey was the giant killer, which there was a match where he beat Bam Bam, that for some reason everybody I knew saw that, even my non wresting friends were asking me about it hah.

Archived