Your "Mount Rushmore" of All-Arounders

Liam O'Rourke

Kurt Angle - there's nothing he can't do. One of the best in-ring of all time? Check. Promo like a boss? Check. Heel or face? Check. Have great matches with any kind of opponent? Check. Play a badass? Check. Make milk cool? Check. If you're talking great all-rounders, Kurt has to be on there.

Undertaker - His character work is utterly unrivalled, he's produced a ton of fantastic matches, his promo's let him down a bit but at times he's also hamstrung by the gimmick not really allowing for weakness or emotion - it needs the deadpan delivery. Plus he thought he'd killed Foley and stayed in character - he deserves a statue just for that.

Steve Austin - without him, what would wrestling be like today? An incredible worker, presence, promo, comedy, bad-ass, heel, face, wore a waistcoat, got the biggest pops I can remember (I'd forgotten how stupidly over he was until I played WWE2k16 and did the Showcase mode).

Mick Foley - I've been mulling between him, and Roddy Piper and have just edged Foley onto it. An amazing promo, put on some great matches, defined HIAC with a standard that probably won't ever be topped and has presented the world with Noelle Foley.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kurt Angle - there's nothing he can't do. One of the best in-ring of all time? Check. Promo like a boss? Check. Heel or face? Check. Have great matches with any kind of opponent? Check. Play a badass? Check. Make milk cool? Check. If you're talking great all-rounders, Kurt has to be on there.

That's a really good shout.

Hogan is objectively the greatest wrestler of all time as a wrestlers only job is to make money for himself and the company he works for. How they do that is irrelevant. Promos, in ring wrestling, wacky gimmick, xenophobia. It doesn't matter how, as long as they pay to see him.

If I was to pick my four, it would be the four that, for me, defined every era where I was a wrestling fan.

Hogan

Bret Hart

Steve Austin

John Cena

They are the wrestlers I think of when thinking about the 28 years I've spent watching wrestling.

• Paid Members

Here's my mountain.

I was surprised it took so long for Kurt Angle to turn up. He's probably one of my all-time favourites. Anybody I've heard talking about him has commented on how he's such a natural talent, when he's a heel he can get the crowd hating him, when he's a face he can rally the crowd behind him with ease. He can do comedy, he can do serious, I don't think he's had a match I can think of that was anything less than watchable, and if it wasn't for his serious involvement with He Who Must Not Be Named then I reckon WWE would have churned out a bluray collection by now.

Personally I'd stick Arn Anderson in there as well. He was a very solid hand in the ring, very intense and honest on the mic and one of the cornerstones of The Horsemen. I legit lost my shit when he hit that "Double A" spinebuster on The Undertaker at 'Mania 18 and when I had my brief foray into backyard wrestling tried to model myself after him the best I could under the alias of Ed Anderson.

With a tear in my eye I'd probably say Eddie Guerrero would go up there. Another like Angle who could do serious, funny, heel, face, singles, tag teams, grappler, high flyer and again his matches were mostly great, even when he was battling his demons. That he could get crowds to boo him so vociferously in an era when people would cheer for their favourite guys regardless of which side of the fence he was on says a lot for his charisma. I can only imagine what he could have gone on to achieve had he not been taken from us and feel saddened every time I'm reminded that he was supposed to wrestle Shawn Michaels at the WrestleMania after he passed away.

The final spot would be a toss-up between Steve Austin & The Rock, but I think I'd have to give the nod to Stone Cold as he's not only the biggest draw of all time, but he was also part of my favourite tag team: The Hollywood Blondes. He was a good promo, a cracking heel and a solid hand back then as Stunning Steve, and he only improved over time. I never thought for a second when he trotted out during the 1996 Royal Rumble what he would go on to achieve. Maybe if The Curtain Call hadn't taken place and HHH had won that King Of The Ring he would have found a different way to the top, but once he was in the ascendency there was no stopping him rising to the top of not only the then-WWF, but the wrestling world.

Congratulations on the hundred episodes. Here's to the next hundred.

Look at hogan in Japan, and even when he was on smackdown 2002, he could go, he just never had to.

Hogan
Austin
Rock
Andre

Hogan in Japan was a completely different guy. Although it is where he laid the foundations of the "Hollywood" character.

• Paid Members

It's a difficult one because as much as the monument should be to the best players in the game, I would be tempted to include a Warrior type figure as a reminder that for all the good and great in the annals, tragedy, despair and idiosyncrasies are never far away. They do in fact add to the tale and are so embedded in the last 35 years or so of professional wrestling that they help contextualize it.

Was he brilliant at everything? No. But he encapsulated WWE & Vinnie Mac perfectly. Hope of a new star, larger than life physique and presence, problems in his personal life and finally redemption before it was too late.

The emotion of that Raw and the news of his passing the following morning is something that no one outside of wrestling gets and is something that folk on the inside need to remember and pass down because they'd will never be anything like it again.

• Paid Members

Look at hogan in Japan, and even when he was on smackdown 2002, he could go, he just never had to.

THAT match with Taker in 2002 negates any argument you may have bigging up Hulk in 2002.

Well, that and the promo where he keeps calling himself "the right gay" and falling over every third word.

• Moderators

Sorry for the slight off topic question, but I've never seen any Hogan in Japan. Was his wrestling really any difference there than in the USA, or are those some Albert tinted specs? Not that he's shit like Albert, but I have a hard time imagining him as some kind of super workrate guy.

Sorry for the slight off topic question, but I've never seen any Hogan in Japan. Was his wrestling really any difference there than in the USA, or are those some Albert tinted specs? Not that he's shit like Albert, but I have a hard time imagining him as some kind of super workrate guy.

He was better. He did a lot of stuff he didn't do in the US, because he understood wrestling back then and knew what different audiences wanted. It's hard to say he was great but if you put that Hogan back in the WWF in the late 80s and early 90s, he'd be one of the better guys of that era. So in summary, better but not great.

• Paid Members

Very surprised at how little Shawn Micheals has been mentioned. I would definately have him in there, household name. Big draw, best worker ever excellent promo and even some of his comedy is good.

Would agree with Guerrero as well, fantastic worker as both face and heel , could switch between high-flying and ground based . Fantastic character and charisma, he could cut a great promo as well. The obvious knock on him is he was never nearly the draw the other guys I've listed are.

The other 2 I would pick would probably be Austin, probably the most invested I've ever been in a character ever . Money promo just superb, was a fantastic worker before his injurys and even afterwards was a fun brawler and ofcourse he was a huge draw

And finally Cena, he's probably the truest to a real all rounder. Superb in every category, previously I think you could question his ring work but in recent years I think even that would he fool hardy.

I didn't add Flair, Hogan, The Rock ,Angle or Bret on the Mount Rushmore but they would next on my list. My personal preference just puts the others above them

• Moderators

Very surprised at how little Shawn Micheals has been mentioned. I would definately have him in there, household name. Big draw, best worker ever excellent promo and even some of his comedy is good.

He wasn't a draw. Business was poor with him on top. I take issue with "best worker ever" too.

• Paid Members

He wasn't a draw. Business was poor with him on top. I take issue with "best worker ever" too.

Fair enough on the draw front, is the least important part of the criteria for my personal criteria. Each to there own on best work ever but he is too me.

Archived