Your "Mount Rushmore" of All-Arounders

Liam O'Rourke

When I think all-rounder there's one guy that comes straight to mind and that's Bobby Heenan, Who else could do quite so much as him? Now while he wasn't a full on wrestler for a lot of his career he could still be a participant in the odd match and get more heat than anyone else in the business, he mastered being a manager, mastered being a commentator and even during the unfair booting out of the WWF he was playing his part to perfection. For me he is the greatest on screen personality in wrestling history.

Yes, he had a few moments later on when he wasn't at his best but he was also being treated like shit and was part of a complete failure of a company so I really can't hold that era against him.

The other places go to Austin, Flair and Vince (which one? I'll let you guess, bro).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Great listen, although I'm a fan of the 4 final choices, (and I won't link any to any of my choices on the last page), 2 of the SCG final choices were spot on and were in my top 6, the other 2 however were a surprise.

Both of which I can understand in fairness based on the points raised in the podcast, one of which more so.

However, both of their best work were showcased at a time when I wasn't really watching.

Great show yet again.

Great show lad.

Went into show with Savage,Flair, Michaels and Austin.

Came out of the show with Eddie, Bryan, Michaels and Austin.

Nearly swapped Austin for Funk, which is testiment to your case for Funk as i dont think ive watched more than 10 Funk matches.

I want to thank everybody for the contributions (and the positive reviews to those who have heard it already, much appreciated), we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/yff6gp/SCG_Radio_100_-_The_Wrestling_Mount_Rushmore_of_All_Arounders.mp3

Join us for our 100th episode, as we attempt to determine the four individuals who best suit the lofty honour of being carved into our theoretical Mount Rushmore of All-Around performers. Judging on criteria ranging from in-ring work, promos, effectiveness, versatility, drawing power, historical significance and many other measures of influence, we break down a litany of candidates, including Arn Anderson, Bret Hart, Eddie Guerrero, Randy Savage, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Terry Funk, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, John Cena and many many more. As always, we have your takes on why people should or should not reach the mountain top, and have a blast doing it. A big thank you to everybody who has supported SCG Radio since it's beginning, enjoy the show!

• Paid Members

You've had enough time to listen now so I'm not using spoiler tags.

Eddie Guerrero ahead of Randy Savage? I cannot for the fucking life of me understand what you lot were thinking around that table. Never mind the beers, you must have been on meths. I love Eddie to bits but there is no way on this earth he beats Randy Savage in any single area and as a draw, he pales into insignificance, as a headliner, his longevity is minute and as a promo, he's not even on the same planet. Eddie's promos before No Way Out in 2004 are as good as anything Savage ever did, maybe better, but on the whole, Savage was far, far better. Madness.

I've no quibble with Ric Flair. The more I see of the guy, the less I like him. The matches get a bit of a bashing post-Bret Hart rant for being all the same but his fucking promos are as bad. There are some really iconic ones and he was a fantastic talker but, fuck me, he didn't half say the same thing over and over. No wonder his catchphrases stuck. Regardless, I can accept that is probably a personal thing and on the whole, he's pretty revered.

Funk and Lawler where the ones that made me think the most. I couldn't pick Funk because I've not seen anywhere near enough to put him ahead of other guys on my list. Lawler though, he'd be in my top 5 or 6 without doubt. He could do anything and everything. He wasn't a super wrestler but he was a massive upgrade on a Hogan or Warrior.

Did daniel Bryan get a mention off someone? Fuck me, that's some short memory. Very good wrestler, awful promo, never a draw, on top for five minutes. Not even in the debate for me.

• Paid Members

Did daniel Bryan get a mention off someone? Fuck me, that's some short memory. Very good wrestler, awful promo, never a draw, on top for five minutes. Not even in the debate for me.

I'll have to go back and listen to the podcast but I don't recall any of us around the table picking Bryan

It was a write-in not one of the panel.

if you're on about him being on the peripherals of my list, he has an innate charisma that made his average promo ability matter less and turned average promos into good ones at times. If he had the personality of Jack Swagger or someone, he never gets over - he deserves more credit than he gets in that regard. He was great entertainment value for a long time in ROH with his "I have until 5!" stuff. It's also a timeframe thing, with '02 onwards just being the years I know most about and have most passion for my list is focused on work from that time. As for being a draw, that's not something I care a lot about in a personal list when everybody knows who the money makers are

I don't think anybody's mentioned Benoit, but Bryan would have to be above him at the very least. Think he deserves to be in the conversation, obviously a better wrestler than he was promo but frankly I disagree on your assessment of him as a bad talker

• Paid Members

As for being a draw, that's not something I care a lot about in a personal list when everybody knows who the money makers are

It's not a personal list of favourites. Otherwise mine would have Tajiri on it.

frankly I disagree on your assessment of him as a bad talker

Not only is he an awful talker but he's incapable of keeping a straight face when anyone else is talking. He's good in those skits with Kane though so maybe he's a better actor than promo.

Archived