Agatha Christie's Paige discussion.

IANdrewDiceClay

Should traffic wardens be armed?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

From the Observer website.

"WWE is attempting to set the record straight on Paige's suspension.

In a statement to the New York Post, WWE publicly pushed back against claims Paige and her family had made that she failed a wellness test for prescription painkillers.

“Saraya-Jade Bevis tested positive for an illegal substance, not a prescription drug,” WWE said in a statement to The Post. “In addition, WWE is providing world-class medical care for her in-ring injury.”

Almost immediately after her suspension was announced on Monday, Paige spoke out on Twitter. "Same sh*t different day. Kids..Please don't get prescriptions or doctors notes. Not acceptable." Paige tweeted. "Rules apply depending on your status."

Her comments were then followed on on by her family, with her father posting on Facebook that Paige has had a long-term neck injury that he didn't feel was being dealt with. He claimed that she had been prescribed painkillers that were apparently against the wellness program.

That assertion was backed up Paige's brother, Zak Bevis, in a post on his Facebook page.

The suspension was the second time in recent months that Paige had been suspended for violating the wellness policy. She was originally suspended for 30 days in August for her first violation."

Oh well.

I don't mean to be a bit of a SJW, and I'm no huge fan of Paige as a wrestler, but I wonder if some of the Internet responses would be the same if the genders were reversed in this story? There feels an awkward sexist vibe to the idea that Paige is a dumb little girl being lead astray by an older bloke as a sweeping generalisation to the whole story.

On the surface, there's an argument that this relationship has possibly damaged her relationship with WWE, but framing it differently, you could argue she loves her boyfriend more than she loves her job, and is simply in a position to make choices in favour of him, instead of them. That's not *that* bonkers is it? Just seems very patronising to see her as incapable of rational thought because she's some young girl and he's a bit older.

I mean, in the event she splits from WWE, it may not end up the wisest move she ever makes, but equally if they've been married 20 years this time in 2036, it will probably just form a nice part of their story together. Nobody (IIRC) accused AJ of chucking her whole life in the bin when she decided to commit to her husband instead of her job, is that because more people like Punk and thus don't immediately paint him as a corrupting influence? People seem awfully cross with Paige personally for the decisions she's making, that's a bit of an odd connection to the character isn't it?

All that said, if she wants to go, could she not just go? Three Wellness busts and a firing seems unnecessary when surely as an independent contractor she can just say 'Nah, I'm off, cheers.'

• Paid Members

I don't particularly care about her relationship, or her motivation. I just find it fascinating that she lied about the failure, willing to slag the company off in the hope that they wouldn't call her bluff, only for it to come crashing down. And hurts inside.

I don't particularly care about her relationship, or her motivation. I just find it fascinating that she lied about the failure, willing to slag the company off in the hope that they wouldn't call her bluff, only for it to come crashing down. And hurts inside.

Yeah I did think the whole family coming out in force slagging the company for not looking after her etc. would not end well.

I was wondering why, when Finn Balor had surgery within 48 hours of suffering a bad shoulder injury, Paige has not undergone surgery for this bad neck injury of hers. Unless surgery is a last resort....

• Paid Members

From listening to Jim Ross before on a podcast it appears that surgery is usually the first option in WWE rather than the last. He says they advocate fixing the issue through surgery in most cases rather than waiting to see how it develops. I guess it depends on the type of injury/way in which it affects the person.