UFC on FOX: Maia vs Condit - Aug 27th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Woodley's definitely going to go with the GSP option every time too, so we'll see what happens with Wonderboy. Although, one of the fights I want to see the most in MMA is Wonderboy v Maia, so with or without the title I'll just be happy we get to see how that plays out.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Condit had this to say. 

“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level any more,” he said. “I’ve been at this for a really long time. The pressure of kind of being one of the top guys for almost a decade…it’s been awesome. I’ve loved being involved in the sport at the time that I have. I’ve gotten to do what I love for a living for a long period of time. I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.”

I think that's a bit over the top, he's still a top fighter. He's just coming off losing a razor thin decision for the title.

He just got strangled by the baddest grappler in the world, in the baddest form of his life.

Styles make fights, and that match-up just wasn't good for Carlos.

But, that said, if his head and heart aren't in it anymore he should maybe just step aside. I don't think it's a sport where you can half arse it.

Really enjoyed that main card.

While Miller vs. Lauzon was a great fight, I think Pettis vs. Oliveira was neck and neck with it in fight quality. I think people will tend to rate the former more because it's Miller vs. Lauzon. Pettis and Oliveira was probably more back and forth and varied in action, standing, ground exchanges (which Pettis shocked me with) and swings in momentum. Thought Oliveira was done in the first, then gets control and nearly the RNC in the second, before succumbing to the guillotine in the third. Brilliant stuff.

Dana was probably crying tears of happiness at Paige getting that sick switch kick KO in her return fight on FOX. Rawlings was no gimme fight, PVZ had a lot to lose, coming off the loss, time off, increased profile, and a lower ranked opponent. But she could not have had a better return. Thought it was weird in the first how she threw so many kicks that seemed nowhere near landing (at least on my crappy stream), but all that matters is the one that landed. That'll be on highlight reels for ages to come. Side note, a bit funny that PVZ set the record for the most finishes in the UFC strawweight division... at 3. :laugh:

That was a crushing 1:52 for Carlos Condit in the main event. I did pick him to get subbed, but with virtually no resistance was sad. I hope that's not it for him, what a terrible way to end a career. Give him a rematch with Lawler on PPV to give him something positive to remember. He might well lose but at least it would be a competitive way to go out. I love Condit. I'd co-main Condit vs. Lawler on the next PPV that Conor headlines, give him a good payday as thanks for his years of awesome fights.

• Paid Members

That's a good shout Shane. I'd like to see them give Condit a bit of that Red Panty Night payday.

I'd love to see the Lawler rematch but it doesn't even have to be Lawler, as long as they gave him a fighter who's something like that to go out on, I'd be happy. Condit vs Matt Brown would be ideal, for example. If they weren't at the same gym, Condit vs Cerrone also. Something like that. A fight where he can go out and have one last 'Carlos Condit fight'. Kind of like when Chris Lytle announced he was retiring before the Hardy fight and they just went out there and went to war for his last fight.

If I had my way, the rest of the year at 170 would go something like this...

Tyron Woodley vs GSP for the title

Demian Maia vs Wonderboy Thompson

Robbie Lawler vs Nick Diaz 2

Carlos Condit vs Matt Brown

Donald Cerrone vs Lorenz Larkin (how amazing would this be?)

Gunnar Nelson vs Hector Lombard

Kelvin Gastelum vs Dong Hyun Kim

Jake Ellenberger vs Rick Story

Johny Hendricks vs Neil Magny

Thiago Alves vs Al Iaquinta (this is actually booked for MSG)

Of course, if you can make GSP vs McGregor happen you go with that and give either Maia or Wonderboy the title shot.

• Paid Members

I guess hes probably only got one oppurtunity to get his title shot and he isn't willing to risk it . I wouldnt be surprised if we would be looking at next spring if he does insist on waiting it out

• Paid Members

wild little show, 2 real good fights, the UFC couldn't have dreamed of Paige ending a fight in a better way and Demian Maia made mince meat of Carlos Condit which insane.

Maia's run a has been crazy, he's more than worthy of a title shot but the GSP return might put a stop to that for now. There's always the option of a GSP/Maia fight in the meantime but i don't feel the appeal of that one, id rather see GSP get an instant title show.

• Paid Members

Demian Maia post-fight interview;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=CXB90OymTro

Maia always comes across as a total class act, doesn't he?

That stat Megan Olivi gave at the start is nuts as well - in his last four fights, Maia has only absorbed 13 strikes? What the fuck man?! When you consider that his last four opponents were Carlos Condit, Matt Brown, Gunnar Nelson and Neil Magny it's even more impressive.

• Paid Members

He could fight for another 5 years at the top level if nobody is hitting him. What's incredible and further evidence of his high level, is every opponent knows the score yet can't stop him taking them down doing what he does.

Aye, he seems like a genuinely decent man too. It's hard not to route for him in a title match. Even v GSP I wouldn't be too mad if Maia won.

It sounds wrong but when you think back to those fights you can't remember him getting hit!

There's a stat online that says he's been hit a total of 13 times in his last 4 fights.

Yes, it's mentioned a few posts above.

Archived