Fedor Emelianenko

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

UFC's official YouTube channel has just uploaded Fedor Vs Kevin Randleman... I reckon it's a done deal.

They've uploaded others too. However is to advertise the EFN fight against Maldonado that's happening on fight pass.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still like to see Fedor in the UFC. But under specific circumstances. I would want him kept away from elite Heavyweights, and even fringe contenders. Few would want to see Fedor get ripped apart. 

I say do a Fight Night card in Russia, and put him against someone he would have half a chance against. Perhaps even Big Foot Silva. Despite Fedor losing against him on 2011, Big Foot is a shell of his former self. I can see Fedor having a decent chance against him. 

• Paid Members

I'd still like to see Fedor in the UFC. But under specific circumstances. I would want him kept away from elite Heavyweights, and even fringe contenders

So you just want to see Fedor get fed a bum that he's got a really good chance of beating? What the point of him coming to the UFC then? That's exactly what he's been doing in Japan.

Just for the kick of seeing him in the UFC. It would be quite the occasion. 

There's also a difference between the likes of Big Foot and Mir, and the standard of opponent he's been fighting in Japan and Russia. At the least, Fedor would be in a competitive fight with them. So relative to Fedor, they're not bums. 

• Paid Members

The one thing I would say is that for some reason the heavyweight division doesn't seem as devastating as it was when Fedor decided to retire.

Guys like Cain and JDS seemed on a whole different level from everyone else, but now the standard doesn't seem what it once was. Those 2 guys have gone through batterings (JDS) and injuries (Cain) and have definitely slowed down. On top of that USADA have come in meaning beasts are no longer as, well, beastly. 

You've had Werdum come up to the forefront and Arlovski and Barnett are there now too, all from Fedor's era.

Personally I can see Fedor giving anyone of the heavyweights aside from probably Overeem and Cain a tricky time. 

Personally I can see Fedor giving anyone of the heavyweights aside from probably Overeem and Cain a tricky time. 

I think JDS, Werdum and Miocic would also dispatch of him quite quickly.

It's Heavyweight MMA though, so anything can happen.

• Paid Members

I think JDS, Werdum and Miocic would also dispatch of him quite quickly.

It's Heavyweight MMA though, so anything can happen.

I will give you JDS, but if it's the JDS that we've seen recently, them i'm not so sure. He looked great in his last fight, but he's changed his style to a more conservative approach.

Miocic and Werdum on the other hand, I honestly think Fedor could give them a competitive fight. Maybe not win, but possibly competitive. Werdum showed against Miocic he can be hit, and Fedor has a bomb of a punch. Miocic too, if you look throughout his whole career he's very hittable. 

• Paid Members

My memory is the not the best, but I recall his numbers in Strikeforce were strong, relatively speaking. However, I seem to recall that he was over-paid to an extent. The business he was bringing in, didn't match his salary.

Always felt Strikeforce did a great job of making each Fedor fight feel like a huge deal. I miss Strikeforce :(

• Paid Members

I don't buy that he was too small nonsense, his two/three biggest wins were guys of similar size between 220-230 Nogueira and Cro Cop

It's not nonsense though. Fedor was a small heavyweight. He might've been around the same weight as Nog and Cro Cop but it, if they were all around 230, it was a very different 230. Cro Cop was a ripped and chiseled 230 with tree trunk legs. Nog was pretty ripped too back then and was a bit taller as well. Nog was a legit heavyweight. He's a big guy, without looking it up he's got to be around 6'3". Fedor was a chubby heavyweight with man boobs and love handles. My brother's probably about the same weight as Jon Jones and about 6'1"/6'2". But he's a fat fuck who'd probably be a welterweight if a top MMA coach whipped him into shape. Just because you've fought at a certain weight doesn't mean you should've been at that weight. Fuck, Fabio Maldonado fought Stipe Miocic at heavyweight. BJ Penn fought Machida at heavyweight. Fabio and BJ made heavyweight when they stepped on the scales, sure. But they had no business at that weight. Obviously they're extreme examples but I don't see how anyone can look at Fedor - a guy who's probably 5'10" - 6'0" at most, and chubby - and say that it's "nonsense" to suggest he was an undersized heavyweight.

Fedor probably never should've been at heavyweight. That's my point. He's about as big as Shogun and Rashad frame wise. And those are guys people have been saying should've probably cut down to middleweight. All I was saying was that - regardless of what anyone says about his opposition - to go unbeaten for ten years at a weight that wasn't optimal for him, is fucking impressive. And it is.

In Pride He never fought Barnett, Kharitonov, Werdum and even Overeem, I'll let him off with Aleksandr as they are brothers.

Good of you to 'let him off' ;)

Are you saying he ducked those guys? Because there's no proof to suggest that. He fought a Big Nog who was previously the top man in Pride, and schooled him twice. And he fought the scariest version of Mirko Cro Cop, in his prime, and cruised to victory. If he was in the business of ducking tough opponents, he'd have ducked those two.

He signed to fight Barnett in Affliction but Barnett failed the test and Affliction went bust. Kharitonov would've fought Fedor in the 2004 GP but lost to Nog in the semis. Werdum was still new to MMA back then so even if Fedor had beat him back then, you'd have probably written it off as 'Werdum wasn't as good when Fedor beat him, he was a pure grappler then' etc. And Overeem wasn't even fighting at heavyweight in Pride until the company was nearly dead.

People just love trying to diminish Fedor's record. The suggestion that he avoided tough fights comes up from time to time and it always amuses and baffles me in equal measure. It's shite is what it is. The very fact he entered the GP in 2004 shits all over that theory. Yes he was fed Ogawa in the tournament but when he entered that GP you had prime Nog, prime Cro Cop and an in the form of his career Kharitonov in the field. Fedor could've wound up in there with any of them. He wasn't to know Cro Cop was going to slip on a Kevin Randleman shaped banana skin in the opening round. By all logic, the semis of that GP should've ended up as some combination of Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop and Kharitonov. Whatever happened there, however they'd have mixed and matched those four, there'd be no easy fight for Fedor.

He grabbed the ropes during a takedown from London, so he didn't have some power advantage over lower weight guys.

I'm guessing you mean the Lindland fight.

Aren't you just proving my point with this? You say yourself he didn't have a big power advantage over lower weight guys. Yet you think it's nonsense to say he was an undersized heavyweight? How's that work? If he struggled to overpower a 185er in Lindland, then that makes his success at heavyweight all the more incredible.

Arlovski was doing pretty well, got stupid and Fedor knocked him out.

Yeah, and Rory MacDonald was battering Robbie Lawler like he owed him money, before Lawler devoured his soul and Rory's face fell off. Fighters sometimes are losing fights then come back and win.

Arlovski's a good fighter, a really sharp striker and bigger than Fedor. And the 'got stupid' bit is all fine and dandy but if he'd landed that flying knee and KO'd Fedor it would still be talked about today as one of the best knockouts ever. And Arlovski was doing well as you say. He was landing strikes at will. Nobody saw that bomb coming. How many other one punch knockouts have you seen on a guy mid-air throwing a flying knee? It doesn't happen. Arlovski's flying knee was no more stupid than anyone else's flying knee attempt. It's a high risk, low success rate and hard to time technique. That flying knee would've been fine against pretty much anyone else. He'd have either landed it or missed but got away with it. Not many fighters could've detonated the perfect haymaker and landed it flush on an airborne Arlovski.

Back to his size, he's taller than Hunt & Nelson and if those guys heavily dieted then cut some weight they could make 205 easy

Height's not the be all end all though either. Max Holloway is taller than Mark Hunt. Fedor's around the size of small light heavyweights like Shogun and Rashad and smaller than big middleweights like Rockhold and Weidman. He's a small heavyweight and has moobs, love handles and little chicken legs. These are just facts.

I've waffled on. All my initial post was about was to highlight that Fedor did fucking well considering he wasn't in the ideal weight class for his size. That's it. Not meaning to come off like a dick but it's like whenever anyone posts anything positive about Fedor there's always someone ready to reel off the old criticisms of his record.

Archived