Fedor Emelianenko

ColinBollocks

Was I the only one who was actually impressed that he came back from that beating in round one the way he did? I figured he'd fold at that point, but he's still got something of a chin.

Not to mention that the uncorking he laid out beforehand in the 1st would have stopped a lot of other fighters who aren't Maldonado. He's well known for his head of stone.

I still think he'd do okay against anyone outside the top 5 or so, and think he actually has more of a chin than I thought before this fight.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot think of many Heavyweights in the UFC Fedor could beat after watching him struggle against Maldonado.

I thought he would have more luck if he dropped to LHW, but he would even struggle against some of the fighters in that division as well; Jones, Cormier, Rumble, Gus, Glover...

• Paid Members

As David mentioned, it's amazing how hard Fedor is and how well he recovered from a brutal uncomfortable beatdown. The decision is what it is, but Fedor is just a different animal; despite getting his arsed kicked he's still coming for your head.

• Paid Members

i've just caught up on it...

Well, that was weird. I had a feeling people were sleeping on Maldonado going in, he's not an elite fighter but if you fight his game you can find yourself in trouble, solid boxer with an iron chin, he timed that counter right hand in round 1 to perfection, you have to give props to Fedor for surviving, he was getting fucked up. That single right hand changed the whole complexion of the fight though, Fedor never fully recovered.

The commentator seemed to imply from round 2 on that the fix might be in, i just saw it as Maldonado just being a counter fighter who will willingly take shots to find a chance to land his own, he's always fought that way. Overall i scored it a draw, that first round had to be a 10-8. The commentator was bonkers, surely the UFC could have piped someone in to provide decent commentary like they do with Shooto Brazil and the like, the guys broken take on English was pretty funny though.

I don't know if anything's been said post-fight but i'd like to see Fedor hang them up there. Unless he wants to continue beating up some cans in Japan i have no interest in seeing it mixing it with the elite in the UFC, winning a decision in front of his home crowd is a good way to go out though.

• Paid Members

IIRC, Eggbb, Fedor said after the fight he plans on fighting on. Up to him and people still want to throw silly money at him for something he enjoys, but aye, Fedor has taken a beating during his career and the fight last week was uncomfortable at times.

Yeah me either any more, the difficulty I have is that after that I just can't see many justifying paying $60 for a show headlined by him and another veteran heavyweight. Its all well and good that this fight did well on fight pass, but it's a fraction of the cost to get. This fight can only really have hampered his potential PPV revenue in the US with the UFC to as it was such a wonky performance, unless people pay purely on the spectacle thing.

If they can get a deal for him to headline a big fox show, that'd probably be the best solution for all parties involved and go from there.

• Paid Members

not sure if the UFC will bust the bank for him after this fight though.

I doubt they will as well, but Fedor seems to have options with smaller promotions. His management seem to be really good at squeezing as much money as they can out of his name value.

• Paid Members

I actually think the UFC are still interested. There would be no reason at all for Dana to big Fedor up on that podcast if there was nothing going on.

That said, Fedor may change his mind about going up against the elite of the UFC.

• Paid Members

i think any thoughts of Fedor going to the UFC must be squashed now. Like i said previously, i'd have no issue with Fedor fighting on and dropping down a few levels, he can still make a lot of money with his name and do so without taking the damage he would staying at the top level.

A little part of me makes me wonder what would be being said now if Fedor hadn't got hit with that counter right though. Until that moment he looked like the Fedor of old, phyiscally he looks the same and he still has the hand speed. It does make you wonder :laugh:

Finally got round to watching the Fedor fight this morning. If that fight had been in the UFC, it could have been stopped any number of times in the that first round. Fedor was out on his feet when he got hit and didn't recover for the rest of the round. He won the second & third rounds through Fabio not doing anything of real note as I think he gassed himself out. There were a few occasions were he would just walk from one place to another and he didn't push the fight anymore.

No shock whatsoever to see Fedor get the decision, but he was clearly given every opportunity to come back by the ref seemingly refusing to stop the fight in the first

Archived