Fedor Emelianenko

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Fedor Emelianenko to the UFC? Finally? It could happen in 2016, said the man himself.

Emelianenko told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that he is closer than ever to signing a contract with the world's leading MMA promotion. And his next fight, after this weekend's bout under the Eurasia Fight Nights banner, could very well be in the Octagon.

"Yes," Emelianenko said through a translator. "In a word, yes. That possibility does exist."

Emelianenko will meet UFC veteran Fabio Maldonado at EFN 50 on Friday in St. Petersburg, Russia. The bout will air on UFC Fight Pass. After that, the MMA legend said he will be a free agent and ready to speak with any and all organizations. Emelianenko said he does have an offer on the table from the UFC.

"I always wanted to fight for UFC and I would fight for UFC, but at this moment we're looking at the deal and the deal has to satisfy both parties -- them and my organization," Emelianenko said. "Until there's no friction, until we are 100 percent in terms of seeing eye-to-eye, we are all basically in limbo."

Emelianenko, 39, and the UFC have negotiated multiple times, but it has never come together. There was even talks a few years ago about having Emelianenko face Brock Lesnar at Cowboys Stadium, but UFC president Dana White said Emelianenko passed on it after his father died.

Lesnar is now back in the UFC and fighting Mark Hunt at UFC 200. Emelianenko, though, said there has been no talk of that potential future matchup.

"All I wanted to say is for now we never received a proposal like that," Emelianenko said. "But if somebody were to make that proposal, we'll definitely look at it closely."

Emelianenko (35-4, 1 NC), a huge star in PRIDE and Strikeforce, went undefeated in MMA from 2000 to 2010, one of the greatest runs in the history of the sport. He is arguably the best heavyweight in MMA history and some would say he's the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all time.

"The Last Emperor" dropped three straight to finish his Strikeforce career and then retired in 2012 after winning three in a row in Japan and Russia. Emelianenko returned to much buzz this past New Year's Eve under the Rizin Fighting Federation banner, defeating Indian kickboxing champion Jaideep Singh via first-round submission (punches). The Russian star said he felt like his old self in that bout.

"I did get that feeling," Emelianenko said. "I feel like I am back. A fighter is measured by the last fight. I'm looking forward to illustrate I am back in my usual form."

Kamil Gadzhiev, an EFN executive, appeared with Emelianenko on The MMA Hour. He said his promotion is planning on being at the negotiating table with Emelianenko after Friday. There will surely be others, too, like Bellator and Rizin.

After the bout with Maldonado, Emelianenko will be a free agent again. And once again, the MMA world will be waiting to find out whether or not a deal between the UFC and perhaps the greatest fighter ever to never have fought for the UFC can finally be hammered out.

"Right now, I'm much closer compared to when I just came back to MMA," Emelianenko said. ... "Yes, we did receive an offer. But there are some finer points that we wanted to discuss."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/13/11925474/fedor-emeliananko-says-hes-closer-than-ever-to-signing-with-the-ufc

I know this is discussed more than the BT deal, but thought if it comes to nowt this thread can always just turn this into a little "wasn't that Fedor good" thread.

Anyway, it seems like if this was ever going to happen it needs to happen soon-ish, seeing as Fedor is getting up there in age. Interestingly, if Zuffa clears off, maybe the new owners will be more successful in convincing Fedor and his management that a UFC run to finish things is worth their time.

Like always, chances are this is another tease that comes to nothing.

I know people are maybe not keen on seeing old Fedor getting smashed in the UFC, but why not. Arlovski managed to become a top heavyweight again and he's ancient too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact he's fighting on FP to me indicates something's happening or at least they're trying to set something up. Not the best timing wise but even if it's just one or two fight's I'll watch them, it'll be good fun.

What I can see happening, sadly, is Fedor coming in a shadow of his former self and him getting soundly beaten by a top five heavyweight only for Dana's grinning mug to be like "yup, we knew he wasn't all he was cracked up to be" or something to that effect.

I'd rather he'd stayed retired.

• Paid Members

If (And its a big if) Brock wins they're surely going to try and put this together finally?

Yes, both are passed it and it's no where near what it would have been 5 years ago, but hell, I'd still be down to see it.

• Paid Members

Personally, I'm more interested in a Werdum or Velasquez match for Fedor. Should Velasquez win at 200 you've got that grand hook of best ever v best ever, with the winner getting the champion next. I assume Velasquez wins the match, which leads nicely into a Werdum v Fedor match.

I like Lesnar, but him facing Fedor is old news. Granted, it's probably doing a big PPV number.

If Hunt wins Fedor/Hunt 2 would be a great fight too. Fedor vs the likes of Brock, Bigfoot, Arlovski, Mir etc would be fun.

Fedor coming in and Dana throwing him in with some killer like Cain first fight then shit talking him after like David said, not so much fun. 

Personally, I'm more interested in a Werdum or Velasquez match for Fedor. Should Velasquez win at 200 you've got that grand hook of best ever v best ever, with the winner getting the champion next. I assume Velasquez wins the match, which leads nicely into a Werdum v Fedor match.

Fedor hasn't fought anyone of note at heavyweight since he lost to Werdum six years ago, and hasn't won a meaningful fight since he beat Mark Hunt ten years ago (unless you count lazy Arlovski and Tim Sylvia as meaningful opponents).

He really has no place even fighting now, and the idea of putting him in with any heavyweight in the top five is ridiculous. He'll get destroyed.

• Paid Members

don't forget, Fedor's fight with Fabio Maldonado is on Fight Pass this Friday!

fedorvsmaldonado.jpg

it's a credible named opponent, but Maldonado shouldn't pose any kind of threat really, his durability may mean we get to see Fedor spend some actual time in the ring though, could be a brutal fight. Might as well keep discussion for that in here.

Fedor to the UFC now feels anti-climatic, i'd still be up for seeing it but to bring a guy in so far past his physical prime just seems abit wrong. However, seeing how heavyweight MMA fighters tend to have 9 lives who knows what may happen. Fedor is 3 years younger than Mark Hunt and that guy's still laying out top 10 fighters. I think the Maldonado fight will be a decent indicator as to what Fedor has left.

• Paid Members

Fedor hasn't fought anyone of note at heavyweight since he lost to Werdum six years ago, and hasn't won a meaningful fight since he beat Mark Hunt ten years ago (unless you count lazy Arlovski and Tim Sylvia as meaningful opponents).

He really has no place even fighting now, and the idea of putting him in with any heavyweight in the top five is ridiculous. He'll get destroyed.

I'm aware of this, but I still want to see Fedor v the best, if he's coming. Certainly, if I'm UFC I'd be trying to get the most out of the Fedor name before he's exposed - I'd rather him get destroyed by the very best rather than some Ben Rothwell type. I think a best v best with Velasquez could do very well for the UFC.

Fedor won't be cheap either and I'm not sure he's turning up unless he's getting big money matches worth his time.

If he's UFC-bound then the fight to make is Lesnar. It should be fairly competitive and worth seeing.

Failing that, and I know it's a long shot, but I'd still like to see the Fedor vs Randy Couture fight we were promised all those years ago before the UFC lawsuit put it on the back burner.

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's the angle of that picture but the fact Fedor looks smaller than Fabio Maldonado there, who's a chubby 205er who should probably be a middleweight...it just hammers home how impressive Fedor's prime run really was. To be such an undersized heavyweight and go unbeaten for a decade is quite an accomplishment. I know it was a different time and Fedor's opposition wasn't always stellar but still, a fucking decade unbeaten in a division you shouldn't have been in. And whatever people say about his opposition, he still handily beat prime Big Nog (twice) and prime Cro Cop. Add to that his wins over Arlovski, Sylvia, Hunt, Herring, Coleman, Randleman, Schilt etc. It was some run he had.

What I can see happening, sadly, is Fedor coming in a shadow of his former self and him getting soundly beaten by a top five heavyweight only for Dana's grinning mug to be like "yup, we knew he wasn't all he was cracked up to be" or something to that effect.

I'd rather he'd stayed retired.

Pretty much. And I'd hate to see Dana gloating as if Fedor losing to a top UFC heavyweight in 2016 means anything. Fedor was so great that whatever happens now won't diminish him in my eyes. The initial losses to Werdum, Bigfoot and Hendo really fucked his aura at the time, largely because it was so shocking to not only see him finally lose, but to lose three on the bounce! But as the years have gone on, I honestly don't think it takes away too much from his prime. His accomplishments are still what they are and anyone who was a fan at that time will always have a soft spot for that run.

I don't think there's much I'd love to see more in MMA than for Dana to finally bring in Fedor, do the old McMahon-Bischoff 2002 'let's pretend we like each other now' handshake photo, then Dana feeds Fedor to the lions - Lesnar, Velasquez, Werdum, Miocic, whoever - only for Fedor to Robbie Lawler that shit and go on an unexpected rampage through the division.

It won't ever happen. To be honest, I'm not even expecting him to end up fighting in the UFC at all. As much as it sounds like progress might've been made this time, we've been led down this path before and nothing ever comes of it. Maybe it'll be different this time but I don't believe Fedor/UFC rumours anymore. We've been lied to too many times over the years.

Then again, in a year where Brock Lesnar is returning to the UFC, Cyborg finally fought in the UFC, Miesha Tate actually won the title, Dominick Cruz made it through TWO camps in a row and has fought twice in six months...MICHAEL FUCKING BISPING IS THE UFC CHAMPION!!..never say never, I guess.

I wouldn't say he has no business fighting at all. If he wants to fight and fights guys at the level he's been fighting the last few years...whatever. Those fights are underwhelming but if he simply just wants the feeling of being in there again and overmatched bums are willing to jump in and play the role of punchbag for a few quid, that's up to them. But yeah, I agree he shouldn't really be in there with the top heavies of today.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with them doing Fedor vs Brock though. That as a one off novelty fight between two semi-retired guys in a fight that should've happened six years ago, I'm cool with that. Just like I'd still watch Fedor vs Randy if Randy decided to fight one last time. Yes, even in 2016. It'd be basically a 'MMA seniors' match between two legends. But Fedor getting beat down by a Miocic or Overeem Version 2K16 or someone like that does nothing for me.

I don't buy that he was too small nonsense, his two/three biggest wins were guys of similar size between 220-230 Nogueira and Cro Cop, neither guy dwarfed him, Mark Hunt had two good wins when he beat hi Wand on a few days notice and Cro Cop in a glorified kick boxing match.

In Pride He never fought Barnett, Kharitonov, Werdum and even Overeem, I'll let him off with Aleksandr as they are brothers.

He grabbed the ropes during a takedown from London, so he didn't have some power advantage over lower weight guys.

Arlovski was doing pretty well, got stupid and Fedor knocked him out.

Sylvia got knocked down in seconds but unlike Randy Couture he was able to put him away, Sylvia lost his next fight the exact same way.

He did OK against Brett Rogers but we've seen since then he was basically only ranked because he beat Arlovski, he then went 0-3 for the rest of his Strike force career, I don't know if anything changes 5 years before, he's now going to be 4-0 outside Zuffa.

Back to his size, he's taller than Hunt & Nelson and if those guys heavily dieted then cut some weight they could make 205 easy

Archived