UFC Re-Sign With BT | 2 Years & Half | Increase In UFC Programmin

seanz25

Not sure if it entirely warrants an individual thread but figured would be interesting to discuss what everyone think's best for them/UFC on a bigger scale over here.

Some interesting comments - Do come from 'The Scum' but generally alright for UFC news bar Floyd/Conor deal - Indicating the deal's pretty much being tied up - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/7140143/UFC-entering-the-endgame-in-UK-TV-deal-negotiations.html

A few of the quotes seem quite reflective to me as if they're moving on from BT but in other one's you can argue vice versa.

Either way hoping for a BT deal or a FTA deal. Or something between the two. What does everyone else want? Everything on Fight Pass?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Personally, I've said it more than once, BT for me. Some nuggets moan about them but they've been brilliant and by far the best the UK has ever seen in relation to the UFC. 

I don't want it to change because I feel BT are starting to find their feet and along with their on demand service and BT app, they are the obvious choice.

Price wise they are fantastic, especially since it comes as part of your broadband deal. Sky are a rip off and will more than likely provide the UFC a PPV outlet, and free to air is just too much of an unknown for my liking.

I agree on the FTA deal to a point, unless contractually they had it in writing that they had to have X & Y shown live, a guaranteed repeat etc. That could work.

I think BT with first live dibs and a repeat 24 hours later on FTA would be a good setup. 

• Paid Members

I agree on the FTA deal to a point, unless contractually they had it in writing that they had to have X & Y shown live, a guaranteed repeat etc. That could work.

I think BT with first live dibs and a repeat 24 hours later on FTA would be a good setup. 

I'm not sure why BT would agree to that really? When a company pays all that cash then they expect exclusive rights to attract advertisers etc. Highlight packages maybe, but I doubt the entire event replayed 24 hours later would be in their best interests. 

Too many people would just tune into the replay due the times it's aired live. 

If Sky were to get it, which I really can't see, they wouldn't put it on PPV. Certainly not short term.

I think it'd be used more as a subscription carrot, as UFC is one of the few big or growing sports, not on the Sky platform, that could well attract fans who aren't already paying for sports.

If it was my decision, I'd put the very small shows on Pick, mid-level shows on Sky Sports Mix (when that launches) and use them both to push to the big events on Sky Sports.

Maybe a year or two down the line, you can build to PPV.

Being on SKY would help the UFC in the fact they would then have Sky Sports News covering UFC news, hyping events, interviewing fighters.

The worry for us as fans is you know they would start going the PPV route at some point. Sky Sports costs a fucking bomb as it is. Sticking another £15 to £20 every month on top would piss alot of people off.

• Paid Members

If Sky were to get it, which I really can't see, they wouldn't put it on PPV. Certainly not short term.

I think it'd be used more as a subscription carrot, as UFC is one of the few big or growing sports, not on the Sky platform, that could well attract fans who aren't already paying for sports.

If it was my decision, I'd put the very small shows on Pick, mid-level shows on Sky Sports Mix (when that launches) and use them both to push to the big events on Sky Sports.

Maybe a year or two down the line, you can build to PPV.

What i never like about this idea that some seem to push is the mixing of channels. I like having the sport all in 1 place without thinking about whether I need to check whether the event is deemed big or small to dictate what channel it's on. 

• Paid Members

The ideal situation for UFC would be to keep the numbered events on BT sports and get the fight night shows on FTA live and on a repeat the next day. The flow of the fight night shows won't be affected by having to get ad breaks in and, like the fox shows, helps UFC reach a bigger audience.

I doubt it'd happen though.

• Paid Members

Yup, as bad as the promotion can be and even with fucking A Davies lurking in the background, I do not want the UFC leaving BT Sports anytime soon.

UFC currently costs me nothing as I have BT Fibre. If they move to Sky, then that's me 30 quid down per month, before they try sticking it on PPV. Fuck that.

They should stay with BT with maybe the odd show on freeview channel.

I actually think BT Showcase should be a proper channel, 12-14 hours a day.

It would show a game or two of the premier league a season, same with all the other leagues/sports not important games, MLB is on every single day for about half the year, they could spare 6 games or whatever, episodes of UFC unleashed, old Boxing and Football classic matches, that ESPN classic used to air.

You could even Air the Countdown/Road To The Octagon/Embedded stuff, BoxNation would probably pay to have the 24/7 HBO shows, because they currently air them on BT but it airs on Boxnation, Ligue 1 & Serie A unlike the Bundesliga don't have a place to show highlights on freeview, air those in the middle of the week.

Maybe old episodes of the Walking Dead & Breaking Bad as well as the premiere episodes of the new Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead if they are on AMC.

• 1 month later...

Archived