Best things in Wrestling this decade

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Anything you like, match, angle, skit, debut, whatever. Highlight of the decade (Jan 1st 2010 to date) for you?

I'm going with the Kane & Daniel Bryan Anger management angle. The skits are spectacular. Easily the best thing WWE have produced. Funny, well acted, cool narrative. Totally brilliant. When you consider the same Daniel Bryan who can't say anything on a live mic without doing that nervous smirk, his acting is different class. I think it's easily the hightlight of Kane's WWE career since his debut too. Just fucking brilliant storytelling and great use of two guys who'd otherwise not be up to much.

That first promo John Cena cut on The Rock after his comeback is a close second. I can watch that any time, it's amazing. I considered Punk's sit down promo too. I remember being blown away by that at the time but it's the only one of the three that doesn't hold up. It's good but it's just not as good as it was live. And that's not the fault of time because Heyman's 2001 "shoot" on Vinny Mac before Survivor Series is still fucking gold.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly believe Punk's segment with Vince was way better than the original promo. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often, one of my favourite things to watch back too - Vince really showed some arse for him which is amusing while Punk goes on about him burying people.

I really loved many of the NJPW matches of the last decade - particularly the Nakamura, Styles, Honma, Okada stuff. I also believe that NXt has really sparked my interest even though I don't watch weekly I can get invested enough into the product for the Takeover shows. 

I thought the Shield vs Wyatts at Elimination Chamber a few years back was something special too. 

I honestly believe Punk's segment with Vince was way better than the original promo. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often, one of my favourite things to watch back too - Vince really showed some arse for him which is amusing while Punk goes on about him burying people.

Definitely warrants a mention in this thread. One of the most rewatchable segments they've ever produced. The dynamic between Punk and Vince reminds me of the scene in Fight Club where Jack demands that his boss grant him indefinite leave in exchange for his silence on the numerous breaches in safety standards the company is guilty of. There's nothing else in wrestling in this decade that can match it for narrative complexity.

• Paid Members

Definitely warrants a mention in this thread. One of the most rewatchable segments they've ever produced. The dynamic between Punk and Vince reminds me of the scene in Fight Club where Jack demands that his boss grant him indefinite leave in exchange for his silence on the numerous breaches in safety standards the company is guilty of. There's nothing else in wrestling in this decade that can match it for narrative complexity.

Dunno if I remember that. There were a few Punk/Vince confrontations. Which one we talking about?

A few that spring to mind.

- Lucha Underground is one of the highlights. What a breath of fresh art that's been for wrestling. On a similar note, the modern format of NXT. The one hour shows are kings.

- There are too many individual NXT moments to choose from. The Bayley vs Sasha Banks matches were some of the best matches of the decade. Sasha stomping on Bayley's injured hand is one of my favourite spots ever. Nakamura's debut. The tag division. Sami vs Owens. To name just a few.

- Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak has provided some brilliant moments since 2010. Him kicking out of Triple H's tombstone and not kicking out of Lesnar's 5 are the two most memorable. Standing on the ramp with Shawn and Trips is up there as well.

- Lesnar's initial Suplex City run was great, although it's fizzled out now. Paul Heyman's promos have consistently been world class.

- Shane's return and initial announcement of the HIAC match was a throwback to pre-PGSUX and I loved it.

- The Wrestlemania (29?) set with the huge Statue of Liberty deserves a mention in here. What a fucking set up that was.

- Bryan's victory over John Cena and subsequent wins at Wrestlemania might the highlight of past 5 or 6 years, for things WWE really managed to get right. When he hugged Connor after the match, you forgot this was the same company that's done such awful things over the years.

• Paid Members

Brock's second Run

He was my favourite ever and I never thought he'd come back, he did and has run with it better than I would've dreamt.

HHH's entrance at Wrestlemania 30

Self explanatory

The Shield

One of the best booked things I've ever seen until they split up, I'll never forget the atmosphere of their first few matches, it was incredible.

Ultimate Warrior on the Raw after Wrestlemania 30 was the first thing that sprang to mind. Infact, everything that Warrior did over that Mania weekend would be worthy of a mention- his Hall Of Fame speech was great and heartbreaking in hindsight and I popped so much when his music hit on the night of WM when he came out with the other inductees that I accidentally woke the Mrs up - but his Raw appearance brought the biggest smile to my face.

Mark Henry's heel run in 2011.

Lucha Underground.

Seeing Daniel Bryan win at Mania 30, I started watching him 10 years prior and was blown away, watching him Wrestle in an armory or school gym and put on these matches that blew my mind, to seeing him lift that belt in a packed stadium. Unreal.

The first thing that came to mind was NXT Takeover: R Evolution.

I’d been made aware of this ‘NXT thing’ and how good it supposedly was back in December 2014 but hadn’t been inclined to check it out myself until I saw a post on a different forum of some people sending HHH a fruit basket after this show.

NXT have had better cards since, but the wrestlers, stories, production and the matches blew me away in that this was ‘current wrestling’ holding my attention all the way through a whole show since probably 2001. I didn’t think it was possible. The women's match being great, the Kevin Owens appearances and the brilliant video package before the main event all really stood out to me. That main event is damn near a five star match too. Even the little things like the way they used the ‘dun dun dun dun’ music whilst showing Zayn and Neville walking from the back was great. 

I loved this show so much that I started watching NXT regularly, and a year later attended my first ever live wrestling show at Takeover: London and still watch on a week to week basis to this day.

Triple H backing away from Undertaker as if his body had suddenly exploded into clusters of maggots after kicking out of the Tombstone at WrestleMania in 2011 is the best single moment of the decade, for me. There's not a lot of 'moments' I can think of. Not individual, highlight reel moments. Without wanting to drag a positive thread into the darkness most of my favorite things from the last six years have involved the debut and rise of a huge amount of stars who I thought "wow this is shit hot!" and then... let's leave it at that ;).

The summer of Punk to WrestleMania in Miami was a fantastic time in hindsight even though they botched Punk's immediate title run up. It was my first time living out of home around then and there was a good crew of us who would watch Raw together each week. We had a pretty sizeable gathering for WrestleMania which - owning the biggest one of anyone in our year - I taxid to a friends house where quite a large amount of us had convened to watch it. Rock/Cena definately got a lot of people temporarily back into wrestling, at least in my neck of the woods. Between that happening and the pipe bomb quite a lot of people I knew started asking "is it any good again?" for the first time since they were below the legal age to drink. The consensus being that a PPV and a bag of cans was "a fucking laugh". It was a happy time :).

The year of Shield matches on Raw was also pretty stellar. The same year Goldust was the best wrestler on TV for a bit?

WrestleMania XXX is still one of the best ever, two years on.

And last but not least... Kevin Nash showing up at SummerSlam. Whatever became of that angle I was in chat that night and the room and subsequent thread was absolutely electric. We all totally got caught up in it but momentarily it seemed like our own personal boom period of unpredictable television was back. It's one of the few times after a PPV eneded - being afforded the luxury of being able to sleep off Monday at the time - I just kept watching wrestling for the whole morning afterwards out of giddy excitement.

Dunno if I remember that. There were a few Punk/Vince confrontations. Which one we talking about?

I am Jack's smirking revenge..

• Paid Members

Rusev in a Tank was bloody awesome.

Mark Henry's 'retirement' as mentioned above

Daniel Bryan's heel run in late 2011-early 2012 

The first night of the Nexus angle. I know it went to shit after a while, but that felt like a massive deal when it first happened.

Santino's near-misses in 2011 and 2012.

Cena as Nexus slave, until the inevitable stipslol ending.

Nash powerbomb into Del Rio cash-in.

Sheamus' title win at WM28.

Cena vs Bryan at SummerSlam and the Orton cash-in.

Lesnar's return in 2012 and the Extreme Rules match.

Archived