Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

I just had a look at Meathead's record. The guy does have power in his hands, but he's never really knocked out anyone of note. Perhaps the most impressive win on his ledger is a first round KO win over Derrick Lewis a few years ago. He did stop Gonzaga with strikes, but it's been known for years that Gonzaga is a bit of a flake. The rest of his stoppages are journeymen like Oli Thompson, Phil De Fries and Shawn Jordan. 

If it indeed becomes a striking battle - which seems likely - I just hope Fedor lands first. 

• Paid Members

He can still whack.

Oli Thompsom ironically is also on the card, i expect Cheick Kongo to grapple him to a decision though, Kongo's become one of the most boring yet efficient heavyweights in the sport in recent years.

• Paid Members

Aside from the Pat Barry one round classic - has Kongo ever really been anything but boring? He had the odd bright moment years ago, looking good beating up bums like Al-Turk and stuff. The rest of the time he's been pretty dire. Even his biggest career win against Cro Cop, I remember being a pretty dull affair. Kongo was like a lot of the Christmas presents I got as a kid. Looked amazing, until you saw it in action once, then you quickly lost interest.

That's what I love about Francis Ngannou. His look and presence is every bit as imposing and impressive as Kongo's was. But, at least up until now, he fights like you'd expect someone who looks like a destroyer to fight.

• Paid Members

Aside from the Pat Barry one round classic - has Kongo ever really been anything but boring? He had the odd bright moment years ago, looking good beating up bums like Al-Turk and stuff. The rest of the time he's been pretty dire. Even his biggest career win against Cro Cop, I remember being a pretty dull affair. Kongo was like a lot of the Christmas presents I got as a kid. Looked amazing, until you saw it in action once, then you quickly lost interest.

It's true, but it feels like Kongo's boring style was always masked by the fact that he looked like an absolute monster. He was always popular in the UFC and there was always excitement for a Kongo fight.

He's even worse now though, Kongo's getting up there in age and takes the path of least resistence in every fight he's in. You can't knock the guy, he's fighting smart and still winning fights, he'll probably end up as the Bellator Champion.

• Paid Members

What the fuck is this? Fell ill. He looked fine at the weigh in and he's a heavyweight so it's not like it'd be a weight cutting issue.

Still, I'm actually glad. Balls to Meathead. I actually hope they don't reschedule this. I'd rather see them go in a different direction with Fedor now. Fedor vs Chael would do me. Then hopefully Rampage (if he's not back in UFC), Mo, Wanderlei could be options. I wonder if Coker would bring in Cro Cop for a Fedor rematch. It wouldn't match their 2005 epic but I wouldn't be against Fedor vs Cro Cop 2. Fedor shouldn't ever be lowered to fighting a mediocre never was like Meathead anyway. That fight did nothing for me.