WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Just started Blazblue Central Fiction.

The lack of an English dub is really jarring during story mode. Not a deal breaker for me but I can understand people being pissed off about the English dub being bumped after every game in the series before it (excluding the Xblaze spin offs) had one.

• Paid Members

just played Journey. That's an hour or so of my life I'll never get back. What a load of twaddling shit. Some reviews called it life changing. Well, what a shitty life they must have.

• Paid Members

A game. Not a flippant answer in the slightest, but I was expecting some game element in there. Just reminded me of an arty cartoon that they may show on Sky Arts in the early hours of the morning. Didn't realise it was just an interactive story really.

I get the impression that our opinions differed on this one. What did I miss? Again, not flippant just interested to know what you got from it that missed me by a mile.

just played Journey. That's an hour or so of my life I'll never get back. What a load of twaddling shit. Some reviews called it life changing. Well, what a shitty life they must have.

Thank God! I thought I was the only one to think this!

I get the impression that our opinions differed on this one. What did I miss? Again, not flippant just interested to know what you got from it that missed me by a mile.

What did you experience in terms of multiplayer? Because that's the element that makes an impression on people. If you play through the game on your tod, or only briefly cross paths with another player sans any meaningful interaction, then it would be as you say - a pretty vacuous excuse for a game. It's what can be derived from the purposefully limited communication with a completely anonymous fellow traveller that makes or breaks Journey.

While you play, you (might) encounter another player trying to make their own way through the game. You can ignore them entirely or you can try to interact and help each other, which is not so simple when the only tool at your disposal is a single, all-purpose sound effect.

What I enjoyed is the way you learn to interpret someone's actions and intentions with the bare minimum of information. You don't know a thing about the other person you've randomly stumbled upon. Their character looks identical to yours, they have no visible screen name, no mic and no text chat. You don't know if they're male or female, young or old, or whether they even speak the same language. You don't know if this is their first time playing the game and are relying on you to figure things out for them, or if they're a seasoned pro and you should be following their lead. You don't know if they even want to be friends or if they're just tolerating you, or even trolling you. All you have to go on are their movements and their use of that verbal pulse, and when you feel like you're overcoming all of these obstacles and making a genuine connection with this other player it's quite exhilarating, and finding yourself suddenly separated from them without knowing if you'll ever encounter them again is unexpectedly devastating.

This of course all depends on your personality and how much you're willing to invest in the game emotionally, so I can't promise you'll get as much out of it as other people, but this is what they're talking about when you hear them wax lyrical about Journey.

• Paid Members

Journey is one of those games where the developers and reviewers who are paid enough fob it off as art because it's a lie calling it a game.

Never got the hype or why it's been rereleased so many times.

• Paid Members

Replayed The Last Of Us over the last week. Bloody love that game. Naughty Dog are just on another level with dialogue and characters in their games. I think the only other games that can touch it for emotional involvement are the Walking Dead games.

I didn't find the partner as annoying during the stealth parts of the game this time around. Not sure if it's because I was replaying it or if the game has been updated since last time.

I'm really enjoying Shadow of Mordor at the moment. I bought it well over a year ago and only played a bit of it before getting distracted by other games (Last of Us online is really addictive)

The story isn't something I'm following too closely but the gameplay is just really satisfying and fun. Very similar to Batman but easier to do.  Here's a clip from yesterday where I came murdered a gang of Uruks walking in a straight line... :p

• Paid Members

While you play, you (might) encounter another player trying to make their own way through the game. You can ignore them entirely or you can try to interact and help each other, which is not so simple when the only tool at your disposal is a single, all-purpose sound effect.

What I enjoyed is the way you learn to interpret someone's actions and intentions with the bare minimum of information. You don't know a thing about the other person you've randomly stumbled upon. Their character looks identical to yours, they have no visible screen name, no mic and no text chat. You don't know if they're male or female, young or old, or whether they even speak the same language. You don't know if this is their first time playing the game and are relying on you to figure things out for them, or if they're a seasoned pro and you should be following their lead. You don't know if they even want to be friends or if they're just tolerating you, or even trolling you. All you have to go on are their movements and their use of that verbal pulse, and when you feel like you're overcoming all of these obstacles and making a genuine connection with this other player it's quite exhilarating, and finding yourself suddenly separated from them without knowing if you'll ever encounter them again is unexpectedly devastating.

This of course all depends on your personality and how much you're willing to invest in the game emotionally, so I can't promise you'll get as much out of it as other people, but this is what they're talking about when you hear them wax lyrical about Journey.

Right, makes a bit more sense to me now, a case of you get out of it what you put into it. Saw people, but thought they were just game characters. Thanks for the explanation.

• Paid Members

If you're a fan of F1, or racing games in general, I highly recommend the new F1 game. It plays really well, and the attention to detail is quite staggering. I'm no racing game aficionado by any means but this is one of the best racing games ive ever played.

• Paid Members

If you're a fan of F1, or racing games in general, I highly recommend the new F1 game. It plays really well, and the attention to detail is quite staggering. I'm no racing game aficionado by any means but this is one of the best racing games ive ever played.

Hmmm. Haven't played one of these in ages. Is it the official one? Who are the team behind? Is it still CodeMasters?