The Orange Cordial Thread

Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

Another year, another referral to alcohol support. Falling back into bad, destructive ways and want to nip it in the bud before I fuck up another relationship.

Best of luck Keith, keep us updated.

I'm back into alcohol counselling tomorrow after majorly falling off the wagon just before Christmas. The resulting shiteness of one particular hangover caused me to have two panic attacks in the space of 90 minutes. You'd think after getting into trouble at work a few times this year (including being investigated and suspended) and getting into debt purely because of my drinking, I'd have made some changes. Fucking idiot. My missus, bless her, has been absolutely brilliant over the last 8 or 9 months, but after missing a meal with her family a couple of weeks ago after I downed a bottle of whisky in about an hour, she's at the end of her tether I think. She's only got so much patience with me. As my doc said, I've got no hope as a social drinker, I've gotta stop altogether, so that's the way its gotta be.

Hope you're all doing okay!

• Paid Members

Good luck to you all as per usual. I'm going to make a real effort come new year to not hit the pop at all until going to Europe in late January. I really want to wind down in general, it's been my worst year for boozing and with having myoclonic jerks quite badly, I just can't take the piss with it anymore. I'm not 18.

• Paid Members

Good luck to you all as per usual. I'm going to make a real effort come new year to not hit the pop at all until going to Europe in late January. I really want to wind down in general, it's been my worst year for boozing and with having myoclonic jerks quite badly, I just can't take the piss with it anymore. I'm not 18.

Nailed it Gus. By no means has my drinking effected me as it has some on here, but it's time to cut down. Health wise I'm fine for now, but the money and the gut need some help.

To everyone in here, good luck, I sincerely hope you get to grips with your issues.

• 1 year later...

Well, I didn't do too well from the above post, what with trying to top myself last year and all that, but I have now been sober for 100 days.  The routine now doesn't even think about alcohol where it used to be centred around it.

Hope everyone who mentioned issues in this thread is doing ok, and those reading it for help, the help is here.

• Paid Members

Well done, Keith. Good stuff. 

Have to agree that one of the biggest hurdles of being booze free is getting it out of your routine. In my case, every weekend or mates night out would roll and I'd be like: I should be drinking. I drank alcohol maybe three times or something last year and it's pretty much completely out of my living routine now to the point where I don't even really think about it. 

God, even the thought of spending all of Saturday and most of Sunday hungover to fuck due to a Friday night drink is off putting. Not sure how I ever thought it was worth it. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

but I have now been sober for 100 days.  

Get the fuck in mate. Sterling effort.

I haven’t attempted a stop altogether approach. But I did want to lose weight a save money. I ended up not drinking from New Year’s Day until first week of Feb, and only had a couple on each weekend since. Huge improvement for me.

But now I plan to cut it out again for another month.

That combined with better eating meant I’ve lost a stone this year. I’ve saved fuck all money like.

That's awesome Hayashi, well done. Even if you haven't saved much money, at least you won't have wasted as much. And even if you have, you've probably spent it on things you wouldn't normally have. I don't save much more than I did when I was drinking, but I'm spending more money and time on activities and things I never did before.

While we're here, I almost crumbled last night. Went to a snooker centre and there were some pints on for £1.50. It was costing more for a glass of coke. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Undefeated Steak said:

That's awesome Hayashi, well done. Even if you haven't saved much money, at least you won't have wasted as much. And even if you have, you've probably spent it on things you wouldn't normally have. I don't save much more than I did when I was drinking, but I'm spending more money and time on activities and things I never did before.

While we're here, I almost crumbled last night. Went to a snooker centre and there were some pints on for £1.50. It was costing more for a glass of coke. 

It always really annoys me when the soft drinks cost more than the booze.

That is fantastic work you've done, chaps. 

• 10 months later...

How did you all get on over the festive period?  I reached 400 days of sobriety over the arse end of last year.  To be honest, it's probably every day I think about having one but that thought gets shut down instantly with reminders of hangover, illness and alienation.  I read the William Regal book over Christmas and there were two things that resonated.  One was about "Using dreams" where you dream you're drinking or taking stuff, then wake up in a panic and it dawns on you that you weren't!  I get them dreams frequently and it was nice to know they are a thing.  It's also good to know that my initial reaction to thinking I've had a drink is horror and not to get back on that sweet sweet misery potion.

The other was he said he may miss drink but he doesn't miss waking up and trying to remember who he needs to apologise to.  That was something I always used to do, and usually I'd have a drink to get my brain in gear, which of course was a really helpful thing to do.

Hope you and yours are good.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

How is everyone doing through lockdown?

The massive change to life has me really reconsidering my intake. I took about 3 weeks off early March (probably the longest I've ever done) and since then I've been keeping to only drinking at weekends. The more time off I have, the easier I'm starting to see and feel the benefit of not drinking at all. Also trying to do the same with the Green... I'm not sure I'll end up quitting entirely, but I'm certainly looking at it all in a different way now. 

On the whole, I'm not craving as much as I thought it would. I've been chatting to a few people on here (Thank you kindly, its helped loads) and also trying to make my way though a few books I've picked up to try and hammer home the positives. 

Fuck me, night sweats though! 

Yeah I’ve been having the cravings every now and then but I think I’ve wired my brain to remember how bad the hangovers were and how much it fucked up my breathing and my state of mind, so I’ve kept it at bay. It’s the boredom, isn’t it? That’s what drags you towards the bottle.