The Orange Cordial Thread

Undefeated Steak

Hey, following on from a post in the questions thread and a few posts I've seen recently, I think we could do with an alcoholic's thead.

It goes without saying but please show posters respect and if you're just here to make a smarky comment then take it elsewhere. Not sure if the mods can let people post anonymously in here/as a guest but if not and you wanna remain anonymous then drop me a PM and I'll post your comment in here.

I've battled with alcohol for a few years now. I've managed to stop for a few months at a time but I'm not completely teetotal. I've cut down a lot considering I used to drink almost every day.

I've been to AA and other meetings so I can shed some light on what they're like but ultimately, everyone's different and it's very rare that you'll find that the right solution for you straight away.

For me, the best help I've had was a 9 week programme I went on a couple of years back. It was a group of about 12 of us, and I was in my early 20's at the time so I was a few years younger than the rest of the guys there. After the first couple of meetings, we kind of hijacked the programme and it became a weekly meeting of 10 sober alcoholics talking nonsense, which is exactly what I needed. The bonding of the group was incredible and I almost felt as though I'd be letting the other people down if I fell off the wagon. Others might find the more formal AA meetings better suited to them. Either way, just go. As daunting as it is, taking that first step is the hardest and most important thing you'll do.

There's a shit load of free help available for you. There are more alcoholics out there than you'll realise. They're not all 9am brown paper bag drinkers either. And it's hard to describe what an alcoholic is. Whether it's a black and white term is debatable and I appreciate that some people don't want to label themselves with the term.

- - -

I think it's important to look at the benefits and positives that come with admitting you've got a drink problem and deciding to cut back or stop completely. FWIW, admitting you've got a problem is a huge step forward and not something to overlook.

Your health, both physically and mentally, will improve in no time. A few weeks of cutting back or stopping and you'll feel like a different person. A couple of months off it and your anxiety/depression will drop drastically. You'll probably find yourself cutting back smoking too which helps and it sometimes goes hand in hand that you'll end up doing more excersise/running/biking/going to the gym.

Stopping drinking will give you the biggest pay rise you'll ever get. When I used to drink heavily, there's no doubt that over half of my income would go directly or indirectly to alcohol. And that's before the times where I'd be spending more than I earned on booze. Whether it was the drink, taxis, food, or fines, alcohol is one of the most expensive hobbies you'll ever have. Stop drinking and you'll be loaded.

You'll find yourself more confident, looking fresher, and generally being happier and more enthusiastic about life.

In a bit of a vein way, I dated a few beautiful looking girls when I was in my early 20's, and realising at the height of my alcoholism that none of them would ever be interested in me anymore was one of the key reasons why I decided to take action. It might take others to lose a house, job, relationship or something else, but usually it's not just one trigger that makes people decide to tackle their problem.

- - -

I've lost relationships, jobs, friends, money, my dignity, and pretty much anything you can imagine through alcohol. It's not pretty.

- - -

If you've ever even so much as considered whether you have a drink problem then take some action now. Nip it in the bud before it gets out of control.

Going back to an earlier point I made, it's extremely important to look at the positives that overcoming alcohol achieves.

- Focus on the positives

- Take that first step: Admit you have a problem

- Seek advice and help: There's no shortage of it available

- Talk about your problem: Here, with friends, family, or anonymously - it'll help you no end

- Don't beat yourself up: Give yourself realistic targets - if you don't reach all of them then don't get down about it

- Cut down: Going teetotal immediately can be dangerous and you might find yourself in a worse place if you fall back off the wagon

- New hobbies: You'll have so much free time you won't know what to do with it. You'll find yourself with money to burn

- - - 

Don't think you have to post an essay in here. Posts can be as short or long as you like.

Questions, thoughts, advice, help and whatever else is welcome.

Good luck, guys.

I went about three years drinking excessively. I stopped in September 2014, which correlated with me meeting an amazing woman, just a friend, but somebody I had never felt anything for previously.

Ive swapped alcohol for weed, which is good, as the most damage I do to myself is eat far too much chocolate. Alcohol ruled my life for a while. I was having seizures, attempted to chuck myself in the Clyde, ended up in police custody/hospital.Mostly because of alcohol, but due to me not trying to sort my mental health issues out, locking myself away like a fucking alky hermit, and not actually communicating with anybody. I met a new friend, saw happiness, and decided I didn't want her to meet that side of me, I wanted her to know the real me, not a complete fuck up. I now stick to Irn Bru, with a joint, and Wensleydale of a weekend.

Edited by Ladiesman345

For myself, it took a lot for me to realise I had an issue with drink.

For about a year solid I was getting plastered every single day, which in turn caused arguments with family/friends and ultimately the loss of my then girlfriend. In the end, it came down to the fact I'd been going to work on very little sleep, maximum hang over and barely any work being done, which then culminated in me going to leave work for home......and realising I couldn'y physically move due to severe exhaustion. (I'd worked out I hadn't had a full nights sleep in a long time, due to be being out drinking 6+ hours a day, followed by more drinking when I got home). A friend had to come pick me up that day, and I was a wreck to say the least.

I still have the occasional tipple, although I look at it in a different light, and never drink at home. Since then I've gotten a decent job, have a wife and kid. I also find myself a crazy lightweight after only drinking maybe once per month, but I enjoy having a few, and going to bed early hah.

• Paid Members

Cracking thread title, and a great idea for a thread.

Many thanks to everyone who replied and PMd me with messages of support yesterday. This place really is great sometimes.

I'll probably post something more in depth at a later date when I'm sober. Couldn't even last two days and am currently drinking my head off again.

I had a problem with drinking alcohol when I was feeling down.  I know the general guidance is not to drink alcohol when you're depressed regardless of whether you're medicated or not but it took me years to realise I had an issue with this.  I had a period of not seeing my son for about a month because his mum was at her manipulative worst and trying to get back at me.  During this I got shitfaced every weekend, falling asleep in random people's houses, falling over in the street and generally making an arse of myself.  I'd done stuff like this before but I never correlated it with how my mood was prior to drinking.  It happened a few more times after but a couple of years on I've got control of it and if I'm ever feeling down, which is rare now tbh, and I'm going on a night out I'll take the car and stick to soft drinks.  I know it's not perhaps on the same level as the difficulties other people have with alcohol but it truly scared me when I realised what was happening andI view it as a major positive that I've more or less able to control it from that point on

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm an alcoholic. Not the type who wakes up and has some White Ace first thing. More that I don't draw lines and lose all control when drunk. If I have one, I will go on an absolute bender that will also likely lead to drugs if I have the money. In general, I have improved an insane amount over the last three or four years. I could count on my hands the number of times I drank last year, but the same problems still rear their head even if it's less regularly. And I've already fell off the wagon twice this year. Thing is, in my job, it's a super blokey, drinking culture. So it's difficult. I'm trying to see if I could go from now until the end of the year 100% sober. But I doubt I won't fall off once or twice. Surprised my girlfriend puts up with it. Actually I'm not sure she will do so forever, so I'll have to be careful.

Personally, AA wasn't for me. I don't respond to that type of thing.

See now, I respect everything they do for helping people with drink issues, and staying off it......but do you really need that "higher power" in your life?

I'd rather go it alone/friends + family support than sign up for something that converts me.

• Paid Members

I don't see myself as an alcoholic but i'd definitely say it's my first port of call when I am going through a rough time. I have learnt over the past few months that I use drink as a coping mechanism to deal with the stress of other problems in my life and am currently undergoing therapy to deal with those problems rather than just focusing on the drink. It is starting to negatively affect my health and at the age of 25, that is a slight wake up call. Never had any sort of outlet though apart from alcohol ever. I do feel my drinking will calm itself down when I learn how to manage the stress of those problems in a different way.

Edited by Sir Steve Redgrave

I've not had a drink in over a month and whilst I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic I would regularly finish off a bottle of whiskey over a Friday and Saturday. I'm not going to to go teetotal, I will stop drinking on my own regularly. I will be having a few beers whilst watching the 6 Nations with mates this weekend, but I'm not going to go mad and will stop it at 6 pints. 

• Paid Members

but I'm not going to go mad and will stop it at 6 pints. 

This is what I struggle with. Once I've had 3, I'm having 10.

I can't even get to that. One drink and I'm off on one for a couple of days.

Edit: Reading this back, I make myself sound like I'm bragging or something but its actually the opposite. I'm ashamed that I've gotten to the stage where I can't even have one drink and stop.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

I don't think I have a problem because of the infrequency I go out, properly (maybe once in 2 months if I'm lucky), but.....

That's me. No "stop" button.

but I'm not going to go mad and will stop it at 6 pints. 

It's easy when you're drinking with a bunch of dads who spend 45 minutes to finish a pint, because they're busy looking after their respective offspring. So we'll spend more time talking than we do drinking and there's a very small chance that someone will end up buying a round of shots or going "fuck it lets get some pitchers in."