UFC 195: Lawler vs Condit

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

As far as I'm aware Wand is right Ebb regarding the sparring. There was a big deal made as part of his current run where they were basically saying that its astonishing what he achieved early on his career since he didn't spar at all.

Its only since his current resurgence that he began sparring.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lambs, I think you've got it the wrong way round.

He used to be a gym animal, by all accounts. Countless hours sparring, getting shit kicked out of him.

Rogan used his resurgence as a sign of sparring being shit for you as it coincided with him jacking it in.

Apparently he added in a single session fort nightly prior to winning the title.

• Paid Members

I'm watching that Fighter & The Kid podcast with Lawler and Condit now. Schaub brought up the sparring thing.

Lawler did say he took six years off from sparring. As he put it, that was throughout his Strikeforce and EliteXC run. He said he got hit in sparring before his Pride fight in 2006 and he had vertigo as a result so decided to fuck sparring off and just train and fight for a while. Sounds like he didn't pick up the sparring again until he returned to the UFC. Not sure how much he's doing now. I'm guessing not too much though. Attitudes have changed towards sparring. It seems like, for the most part, gone are the days of the full-on gym wars you used to hear about from Chute Boxe and stuff. I think most fighters and gyms now are more into lighter technique sparring. It's much healthier.

There was a great quote from John Kavanagh on sparring and him disagreeing with gym wars but I can't find it for the life of me. Something like 'the gym is where you gain skills not lose brain cells'. Something like that but much better.

Here's the Fighter & The Kid podcast, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=rUwiEIsh0Io

Only 40 minutes. Worth a watch/listen.

• Paid Members

The initial Miletich run i'm talking about is like 10-15 years back though when Lawler was real young. The Miletich camp was notorious for being rough as fuck.

The old Miletich team quality. That along with The Lion's Den and Chute Boxe were the first camps that made me wanna follow any fighter that was associated with the team.

• Paid Members

Yeah he'd have been sparring then but that was so early in his development as a fighter.

Where did Lawler learn to strike? It wasn't like Miletich had a gym full of strikers. You had Jens Pulver who had really good boxing and Miletich himself was good, as was Sylvia. But Lawler seemed to come out of nowhere as like a 20 year old striking machine. Did he come to Miletich with a background in boxing training? He said on the podcast he started in Tae Kwon Do as a kid. He just seemed like a natural striker from a young age.

These days he's such a complete fighter as well. That's the thing. People think of Lawler as a banger but he's so much more. His takedown defence is insane. And even if you do get him down, good luck keeping him there. I'll never forget the Ellenberger fight when Ellenberger walked through fire to get Lawler down, and when he finally did, Lawler literally laughed at him and spun out and ended up on top in side control. Just ridiculous. I honestly think he mentally broke Ellenberger right there.

Where did Lawler learn to strike? It wasn't like Miletich had a gym full of strikers. You had Jens Pulver who had really good boxing and Miletich himself was good, as was Sylvia. But Lawler seemed to come out of nowhere as like a 20 year old striking machine. Did he come to Miletich with a background in boxing training? He said on the podcast he started in Tae Kwon Do as a kid. He just seemed like a natural striker from a young age.

From what I recall, Lawler just had natural gifts. He was always very powerful and had fast hands. Back in 2002/2003, any lack of refinement he had wouldn't have been pounced on. as the talent pool was much more shallow. It took Diaz to show us that Lawler had holes in his striking (he lost to Spratt as well, but I can't remember how he lost that fight).

Out of the name talent, Miletich was seen as the standard bearer of that gym when it came to boxing. They referenced on air that Hughes's hands never quite reached the same level as Pat's (this was around 2006 time, when Hughes's boxing was thought to be at its peak). They did used to bring in boxing coaches as well, but I couldn't name any. 

• Paid Members

He apparently dislocated his hip against Spratt. That was a big wake up call though, Lawler had smashed fools up until that point, Spratt was schooling him before the finish.

Always enjoyed watching Spratt fight.

The initial Miletich run i'm talking about is like 10-15 years back though when Lawler was real young. The Miletich camp was notorious for being rough as fuck.

The old Miletich team quality. That along with The Lion's Den and Chute Boxe were the first camps that made me wanna follow any fighter that was associated with the team.

I do find that old school sparring makes you stronger thing to be dumb now. Whilst I do spar, I spend more time hitting pads or light sparring with headguard, shin guards and MMA sparring gloves. I mean look at these, you're not going to cause facial or body damage with those type of gloves.

ewke4w12ivf__18231.1445416953.1280.1280.

Yet they act fairly similar to actual MMA gloves, so you can grapple with them on. it's why Aldo fucking his rib up and pulling out from the McGregor fight was really should've been avoided, especially so close to the fight.

• Paid Members

Today's Lawler gif of the day...

robbie.gif

Lawler with hair! From the Strikeforce days, knocking the shit out of poor Matt Lindland. I do like the little touch of him casually straightening out Lindland's legs after the KO.

• Paid Members

Fuck, I actually somehow forgot all about the Trigg KO. It was fucking brutal.

tumblr_m6vptwoF951ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Never gets old seeing Trigg catch an arse kicking.

I don't think I've ever actually seen the whole fight, just the KO in Lawler highlight videos and gifs and stuff. It went into the fourth round as well. Just looked on YouTube and it doesn't look like the full thing's on there.

Archived