UFC 195: Lawler vs Condit

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

In sure i have a copy somewhere, i collected up a load of those Superbrawl shows. There was a quality five show Superbrawl/Icon DVD set available for a few quid a couple of years back.

All those old Hawaiian shows were great, proper underground/hostile vibe to them despite them having huge audiences.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There was a quality five show Superbrawl/Icon DVD set available for a few quid a couple of years back.

I had that ICON set. I had the Rumble On The Rock set as well which had the BJ Penn vs Takanori Gomi fight, Anderson vs Okami 1, early Condit, and the epics - Tank vs Cabbage 2 and Butterbean vs Cabbage! Think I'm going to have to dust that DVD off soon.

Anyway, the Ruthless Robbie gif of the day...

giphy.gif

All the way back at UFC 40 back in 2002. That's Lawler making ex UFC jobber and Rampage's manslave Tiki Ghosn, his bitch for the night. It wasn't even really an impressive KO for Lawler because, as I said, Tiki was shit and Lawler (undefeated at the time and being compared to Mike Tyson) was expected to run through him. But it's worth mentioning for the post-fight silliness if nothing else. Tiki actually claimed he wasn't even hurt, he was just hit with an eyepoke and the fight shouldn't have been stopped. Look at that gif again. An eyepoke.

Watch the post-fight interviews for yourself (and look out for the young Lorenzo Fertitta in the background);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=R08z0PIUUNA

• Paid Members

UFC 40 was the first UFC DVD i bought when i was first really getting hooked on MMA, Lawler was pretty much the standout fighter on the card. When he busted out the 'Nobody can hurt me' line post fight i was hooked. Lawler was a wild, crazy bastard in those days. I could only find clips of the Aaron Riley fight after that which was hard to get hold of at the time but i wanted to check out anything i could of Lawlers. When i got hold of UFC 42 i went straight to the Pete Spratt/Lawler fight not knowing the result, which made the whole thing even more shocking to me when Spratt won.

The next Lawler fight was actually the first fight on the main card of the first UFC card i watched in time with what was going on against Chris Lytle and that turned out to be a bit of a mini-classic. Come to think of it, Lawler might be one of the main reasons why i'm an MMA fan, he turned up at some pivotal times for me.

My first exposure to Lawler was his loss to Pete Sell at UFC 51. The general feeling was that his career was on the decline (and it was)

It's only when I watched old events back that I realised how a big a deal he was. Lawler and Baroni were marketed as the future of the UFC in 2002-2003. They were all over the UFC's DVD promotion leaflets and were heavily featured on the promotion's highlight videos. Sadly, both of them suffered multiple defeats, and the UFC shifted to marketing other fighters (Chuck, The TUF 1 cast, and Franklin)

Lawler never fought Pete Sell, Jim. He did lose to Evan Tanner at UFC 50 though, that was the final fight of his initial UFC run.

You're right. It was Baroni who fought Sell.

I got mixed up, as Sell filled in for Lawler on short notice. They mentioned on air that it was originally meant to be Baroni vs Lawler. My first exposure would have been the Tanner loss then (after watching UFC 51 and 52, I worked backwards)

Lawler/Baroni at that point would have been epic. Baroni himself deserves a lot of credit for bringing new eyes to the sport at that time.

Yeah, his destruction of Dave Menne was brutal. It's no wonder the UFC replayed it ad-nauseum. It was perfect for grabbing people's attention. His promo afterwards was memorable as well: "I'm the best eva"

• Paid Members

Lawler/Baroni at that point would have been epic.

Oh man, that would've been nuts.

Lawler vs Belfort would've been explosive as well but they were always either in different weight classes or just missing each other in and out of different promotions. They never seemed to be in the same company and the same division at the same time. The time to do it, I guess, would've been around 2008/09 in either Strikeforce or Affliction.

The Baroni vs Menne KO was (I think) the first UFC fight I ever saw. I'm pretty sure it was anyway. I was channel surfing and must've caught it on Unleashed or something on Bravo. Blew me away how brutal it was. Menne looked dead. He was literally being held up by Baroni's punches and the fact he was trapped against the cage.

• Paid Members

Back in the Strikeforce days, if someone would've told you that in 2015 there'd be a UFC PPV headlined by Robbie Lawler as UFC welterweight champion, with a co-main event featuring Andrei Arlovski coming off a 4-0 UFC return and on the cusp of a title shot...you'd Stockton slap them for insulting your intelligence.

The Ruthless Robert gif for Wednesday...

Robbie_Lawler_vs_Niko_Vitale.gif

Yeah. The victim here is Falaniko Vitale. It's 2005 or 2006 (looks older, it looks fucking ancient) in Hawaii. They had two fights and I can't remember which this is. I remember watching it and thinking 'who is that crazy Janice Soprano looking bitch trying to attack Robbie Lawler?!' From what I can gather it's Vitale's sister. So Vitale got battered in his own backyard and then his sister jumped in to rescue him. That's got to ruin your street cred, right?

Archived