UFC 195: Lawler vs Condit

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The reason why I was tempted to score round 3 for Lawler is the feeling I got while watching the round. While Condit had the much higher workrate and tempo, each time Lawler landed, I half-expected the fight to be over. Lawler was the one landing with intention.   I can see it from the other side though. I think it would be more than reasonable if someone watched that round and scored it to Condit based on him "outscoring" Lawler, or "controlling" the fight (although what "control" actually means is also subjective).

The round system has the advantage of holding the judges accountable. They have to reveal specific times where they thought one fighter was winning the fight, instead of just saying "he won". However, it's not without its faults. Even if I scored round 3 for Condit and totalled up a 48-47 scorecard in his favour, I would still feel that Lawler won the actual fight. He came close to finishing in round 2, and got the best of round 5 (GAD scored it for Condit, but I haven't seen anyone else do so). That trumped what Condit did in the 1st, 3rd and 5th in my opinion. 

Whatever your view, I think an immediate rematch is desirable. I loved how their styles meshed with each other, and even before the 5th round, I found the action enthralling. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I agree with Wand about Tumenov Larkin, those leg kicks had the fight won in my opinion, but then again I don't really know much.

Well you seem to know more than the judges! I was more surprised at that decision than the Lawler vs Condit one, to be honest. I still wouldn't call it a robbery because Tumenov was landing some hard shots as well. I'll have to rewatch it but I did feel like Larkin got a slightly raw deal.

Liked the women's tear up on the prelims but it was very samey, loads of punches but none seeming to hurt the other.

I quite liked it as well, once Kish settled down I thought she looked decent. The women's divisions do tend to lack that proper punching power. It's the same with men's flyweight for the most part as well. Guess it's just a size thing. Even a killer striker like Joanna Jedrzejczyk wins her fights on an accumulation of strikes.

round 5 (GAD scored for Condit, but I haven't seen anyone else do so).

Oh man. Johnny B GAD not knowing what the fuck he's on about as usual.

How you score the fifth for Condit baffles my head completely. That was easily Lawler's best round. If you didn't score that round for Lawler then I struggle to see how you'd score any of the other rounds for him. Condit landed some decent stuff in the exchanges, sure, but he spent a good chunk of that last round just clinging on and surviving. Amazing heart and we always knew he had an insane chin, but he still got smacked around a lot in that round.

If the judges had scored round five for Condit...now THAT would've been a robbery!

One last thing on Lawler: I can't think of fighter who's had a run of fights like he has. In less than 2 years, he's competed in arguably the 3 best title fights in Welterweight history.

- The first fight with Hendricks

- The Rory fight

- The Condit fight

The second Hendricks fight would probably crack a top 10 Welterweight fights list as well. 

Jordan Breen made a decent point about Lawler's title reign. Even if you think he's getting lucky with the decisions, it couldn't be happening to a better fighter. Breen cited Bendo's title reign in 2012-2013 as an example of a fighter who got the benefit of the doubt from judges, where there was little upshot for the viewers at home (harsh, but I understand his point).

Lawler's reign will probably end sooner rather than later. I'm certain these battles will catch up with him soon rather than later, But until then I'm along for the ride, and it's a bloody good one, as I'm sure we can all agree. 

• Paid Members

It's an incredible run of fights. Lawler's been vocal in saying he wants to avoid them types of fights too.

I do think the post-fight 'one of the best fights ever' praise is abit much though, before the 5th round i don't think it was even headed for FOTN. Just feels like that last round has left everyone wearing rose-tinted glasses. Might just be me though.

• Paid Members

It was certainly one of the best rounds ever, but the first 4 rounds were very hit and miss. It's just Condit's style really. Lots of volume and combinations but he keeps his distance and doesn't take too many risks. 

The 5th round makes it a great fight as you can't take that round away, but it certainly wasn't one of the best ever. 

Some on Twitter were saying it topped the Lawler vs Rory fight. I disagree with that.

However, I enjoyed all 5 rounds of the fight. There were lapses in action, but those lapses added to the tension. With Lawler, you know his fights can end on any given moment, such is his power. There were enough decisive moments throughout the fight to ensure that my interest never waned.  

- The knockdown in the first round

- The knockdown in the second round

- Condit's flurry in the forth round 

- Lawler presumably chasing the fight from the 3rd round onward

I judge fights on the feeling I get when I initially watch them. Based on that, I found Lawler vs Condit to be enjoyable throughout, even before the 5th round. I agree that the "best fight ever" slogan is a bit much, but it's to be expected after the 5th round left such an impression. 

• Paid Members

It definitely wasn't as good as Lawler vs Rory 2 but it was still fucking amazing. I haven't really noticed much 'best fight ever' stuff, 'best round ever' is more of what I've seen. And that's fair enough. Round 5 was hands down one of the best rounds I've ever seen. Right up there with Diaz vs Daley for me.

I loved the fight. I thought the first four rounds, while not spectacular, were really fucking good. There was enough drama with the respective knockdowns, then Condit rocking Lawler in the later rounds (4th I think?). Then the 5th just took the fight to a completely different level.

I loved it all. Everything built up to that mental final round and it was such an incredible climax to the fight. I was on a high after it. Couldn't sleep for ages. If it had been the other way around - the first round being what the fifth was then slowing down after that - it wouldn't have been near as great. But the way everything built up, the way the rounds were going nip and tuck throughout, the knockdowns and general feeling that it could end any second, that last round just felt all the more thrilling. You really felt like they both knew they had to take that round.

Archived